Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 47,076 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody I'm new to the forum and I did read the sticky before posting. I read the one with the "blue fork" scenario as well. I got pulled over for speeding today. I supposedly went 73 in a 45. I was getting off the Verrazano Bridge on the NY side and got pulled over when I was on the slow lane. (with 2 cars that are going at the same speed if not faster on the fast lane.) I read the back of the ticket and it says 21-30 MPH over is $90+$50 and if plea guilty or conviction of a speeding violation of 21mph or more over the speed limit will add 6 points to your license and subject you to a driver responsibility assessment.

Is it true that since I'm a resident of NJ, there will only be 2pts on my license and not 6 pts if I just pay the fine?

Is it worth it for me to go to court to fight for it and lower the points but pay a higher fine?

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 03:37 PM

341 posts, read 678,760 times
[quote=watduzhkstand4;11734290]
Quote:
I was getting off the Verrazano Bridge on the NY side
Both sides of that bridge are in New York, due the fact that it connects Staten Island and Brooklyn.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:22 PM

[quote=El Dakar;11734961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watduzhkstand4 View Post

Both sides of that bridge are in New York, due the fact that it connects Staten Island and Brooklyn.
I meant the Brooklyn side sorry =D

Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
I wouldnt pay it. NY is such Mod cut: language with the tickets. Go see the prosecuter and cut some kind of deal.

I got 2 tickets in NY last year. Well they sock me for $200 each ticket, and then they send some BS in the mail claiming I owe them another $450.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-29-2009 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Be very careful about choosing not to pay a ticket. There IS reciprocity between states now.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 PM

I am planning to pay for the ticket but I just want to get some advice on whether or not if I should just pay it off online and take the points and go to court. Also, the most important thing I'm worried about is if I just pay the ticket online, am I only going to get 2 points on my license? What about my insurance? Is my insurance going to count it as a total of 6 points or count only the 2 points that's on my license?

Thanks =D

Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
Pay it and take the two points. It usually takes three points before insurance companies care anyway, so if your license is clear right now, this shouldn't harm you.

Also, even though there is reciprocity between NY and NJ, the NYC court and records systems are so messed up that there's a good chance the points will never make it "over the bridge" (mind the pun) anyway. Honestly, the last thing I would do is to go to a court in Brooklyn for such a minuscule ticket/fine. Now, DO pay the ticket or you'll have a warrant out.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Pay it and take the two points. It usually takes three points before insurance companies care anyway, so if your license is clear right now, this shouldn't harm you.

Also, even though there is reciprocity between NY and NJ, the NYC court and records systems are so messed up that there's a good chance the points will never make it "over the bridge" (mind the pun) anyway. Honestly, the last thing I would do is to go to a court in Brooklyn for such a minuscule ticket/fine. Now, DO pay the ticket or you'll have a warrant out.

Hi VeradoDan

So you're saying the insurance company will go with what's on my license (2 points) and not the origin of the ticket? (labeled 6 points on the ticket) The thing is, I got a ticket two months ago for careless driving and I didn't even clear that out yet. I did get that in NJ and I am scheduled to go to court mid Dec. I hope the insurance company will go easier and not just steal my money.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watduzhkstand4 View Post
Hi VeradoDan

So you're saying the insurance company will go with what's on my license (2 points) and not the origin of the ticket? (labeled 6 points on the ticket) The thing is, I got a ticket two months ago for careless driving and I didn't even clear that out yet. I did get that in NJ and I am scheduled to go to court mid Dec. I hope the insurance company will go easier and not just steal my money.
Well, different states have different scales on which points are given. For example, a six point offense in NY may be only as severe as a three point offense in New Jersey. So insurance companies (and reciprocal state DMVs) can't just assign 6 points for a speeding ticket against your license if six points in NJ is much more severe than the "crime" you were convicted of in NY.

I wouldn't sweat the two points, but if there are any points assessed for your careless driving ticket, you'll see something of an insurance hit with the two tickets combined, assuming the NY ticket transfers over. Now, sometimes even if a ticket DOES transfer over, your insurance company won't know it. They don't go combing through MVC records, and out-of-state tickets can sometimes go unnoticed. It's the luck (or unluck) of the draw with this stuff.

Can you explain why you got a ticket for careless driving? Were you doing something else and the officer issued a ticket for that instead? Was it the result of an accident?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Can you explain why you got a ticket for careless driving? Were you doing something else and the officer issued a ticket for that instead? Was it the result of an accident?
I was getting out of school one day and there was too much traffic inside the parking lot and I see the officers just standing there chatting rather than directing traffic. I was turning out of the parking lot and the officer said he saw me drive on the other side of the double yellow and cut everyone off. I covered the double yellow for like 6 feet and did cut a couple of people off. I knew I wasn't supposed to do that but I was also feeling sick. He pulls me over and asked why I did it and I said I had to head home I wasn't feeling too sharp and he asked if I needed an ambulance. (like he was trying to play games with me) Just let me get the hell home. I realized I shouldn't have cut them off but I barely made it home. I went to the court date assigned on the ticket but they said I didn't call within 7 days of the court date so they had to reschedule me. I was supposed to go tomorrow but they rescheduled me again. I guess it's just bad luck for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: