Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM

594 posts, read 1,200,195 times

Advertisements

I went to Downtown Newark for the first time after 3 years living here.
I was in Broad St. and other streets too. The City itself remembers me of parts of Downtown LA and NYC. But the people, OMG - GHETTO!
I rarely saw any Asians or White people. People all over the streets, asking for money, looking at you. I was scared to walk down on the streets. Thank God I had two older guys next to me. I was also told my random guy to not show my brand name clothes next time I am here. I can't explain more, but people there are ghetto. Sad for such a large city with great downtown to have ghetto people.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Were you surprised that the people living in Newark are "ghetto"??? What did you expect? Its one of the worst cities in the USA...

Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,110 times
You know you really need to go back to Palm Beach because even though folks may live in the ghetto they do wear "designer clothes".

Heck, maybe you should just stay in Palm Beach since you so scared to venture into the city. Hell, parts of Florida is more ghetto than Newark, NY and any other city put together.

Last edited by cocoaeve; 11-23-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I was in Broad St. and other streets too. The City itself remembers me of parts of Downtown LA and NYC. But the people, OMG - GHETTO!
I rarely saw any Asians or White people. People all over the streets, asking for money, looking at you. I was scared to walk down on the streets. Thank God I had two older guys next to me. I was also told my random guy to not show my brand name clothes next time I am here. I can't explain more, but people there are ghetto. Sad for such a large city with great downtown to have ghetto people.

Really??? They were LOOKING AT YOU?!!! It sounds like you might have been LOOKING at some of them too... maybe you gave them nightmares too!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Newark is garbage; this isn't news. I live about 12-15 miles away in a respectable town. When I'm in Newark I'm usually A) Indulging in some of the very decent Italian and Portuguese restaurants or B) Driving through to get to the airport or Elizabeth. Other than that, I haven't walked around the area for years and have no real desire to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
You know you really need to go back to Palm Beach because even though folks may live in the ghetto they do wear "designer clothes".

Heck, maybe you should just stay in Palm Beach since you so scared to venture into the city. Hell, parts of Florida is more ghetto than Newark, NY and any other city put together.
New Jersey's cities are by and large worse than Florida's. All major cities have crime, but Tampa, Miami, and Orlando are nationally known and respected cities. The same can't be said of Newark, Camden, and Trenton.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch
Right.......

As someone who frequents Downtown Newark, this is just plain silly. SMH, the things trolls will do for love...

Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater

New Jersey's cities are by and large worse than Florida's. All major cities have crime, but Tampa, Miami, and Orlando are nationally known and respected cities. The same can't be said of Newark, Camden, and Trenton.
I'm sorry, but I had to LOL, at that. Just last year, Miami and Orlando, ranked #3 and #6, in the annual most dangerous city in America.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I'm sorry, but I had to LOL, at that. Just last year, Miami and Orlando, ranked #3 and #6, in the annual most dangerous city in America.

Here are the facts:

1) I'm not denying that Florida's cities are dangerous.

2) It was a New Jersey city, Camden, which was ranked above both Miami and Orlando, at #1 for several years.

Number three, and this is probably the most important:

People actually VISIT Orlando and Miami. No one spends a few days of leisure in Newark and Camden or flies across the country to partake in NJ's world-class urban culture.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
It amazes me that there are still so many sheltered people in this world.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
the question is, where do they get those designer clothes? maybe they take them from people like PalmBch.

im not sure why PalmBch wasted her time in newark. when you walk through a "ghetto" you are going to see "ghetto" people. i prefer the term "gangsta people" to ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey