U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:05 PM

2,707 posts, read 4,942,505 times

Advertisements

So I just got back from California, where, just like in NY State, you can purchase beer and wine in a supermarket, deli, even at 7-11. Actually, the 7-11's in Santa Barbara had GREAT wine selections, and a decent craft beer selection, local microbrews, etc.

What gives? Why can't this occurr in NJ?

I know the answer will be state laws, but...really, fundamentally, why can't this be changed?? Is there some underlying reason as to why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 PM

412 posts, read 773,226 times
I saw in a Shoprite ad or another circular they throw on your porch, think it was a supermarket in North Bergen, that you can buy wine, beer and liquor there.

Quite shocking when you are from NY and have to go to a liquor store for those things.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 PM

380 posts, read 750,003 times
i don't think that there is any law preventing a grocery store from selling beer/wine etc. It just has to do with the fact that liquor licenses in nj are ridiculously expensive.

this is also the reason that nj is the home of byob restaurants.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM

2,707 posts, read 4,942,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i don't think that there is any law preventing a grocery store from selling beer/wine etc. It just has to do with the fact that liquor licenses in nj are ridiculously expensive.

this is also the reason that nj is the home of byob restaurants.
But how would a liquor license be more expensive than NY...specifically NYC?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 PM

1,057 posts, read 495,084 times
There's no law in New Jersey that states supermarkets can't sell beer or wine. In fact, some do. However, each supermarket company is only allowed to have one or two stores that sell it. So, if there are 100 A&Ps or Pathmarks in New Jersey, only those two can sell beer/wine. There IS pending legislation to change this in the legislature right now, but with our legislators being bankrolled by the likes of MADD and other similar groups, I don't have much hope it will pass. Now, even if it WERE to pass, there's still the local licensing issue.

As far as liquor licenses, this is a big problem in New Jersey. The number of liquor licenses a town is allowed to issue is based on population. So, if you're a small town, you only get a few. Larger towns get more. And the towns are also allowed to sell the licenses at auction to the highest bidder, which can push them up to $500K for a single license! In addition to that, once you already own a license and close your restaurant/store, you can then "pocket" the license and when you want to, sell it at your OWN auction to the highest bidder. In other words, it's a mess.

As far as 7-11s and gas stations go, I think it's just an old-style law that goes back to the prohibition days. Why nobody will propose changing it, I don't know. If you want to feel a little bit better about things, try going over to Pennsylvania. To buy a six pack, 30 pack and a bottle of wine, you'd have to go to three different stores licensed to sell each type. In New York, however, you just apply to the state and, if you qualify and the area is properly zoned for bars/restaurants, you'll be granted a license at a standard issuing fee.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 PM

12 posts, read 30,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
But how would a liquor license be more expensive than NY...specifically NYC?
Supply and demand. MA is the same as NJ.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,141,916 times
Default i know what you mean . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
. . . If you want to feel a little bit better about things, try going over to Pennsylvania. To buy a six pack, 30 pack and a bottle of wine, you'd have to go to three different stores licensed to sell each type.
Even better, try buying liquor in the State of Virginia. The first time I wanted to buy a bottle of rum, I asked where the liquor stores. Everyone directed me to the nearest ABC Store (Alcohol Beverage Control) which is run by the State. Sorry ass little shops with limited, expensive stock. Going back to NJ with its massive liquor stores was like being in Candyland (well, sort of).

Beer and wine in VA, however are sold in the supermarkets.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,349,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
There's no law in New Jersey that states supermarkets can't sell beer or wine. In fact, some do. However, each supermarket company is only allowed to have one or two stores that sell it. So, if there are 100 A&Ps or Pathmarks in New Jersey, only those two can sell beer/wine. There IS pending legislation to change this in the legislature right now, but with our legislators being bankrolled by the likes of MADD and other similar groups, I don't have much hope it will pass. Now, even if it WERE to pass, there's still the local licensing issue.

As far as liquor licenses, this is a big problem in New Jersey. The number of liquor licenses a town is allowed to issue is based on population. So, if you're a small town, you only get a few. Larger towns get more. And the towns are also allowed to sell the licenses at auction to the highest bidder, which can push them up to $500K for a single license! In addition to that, once you already own a license and close your restaurant/store, you can then "pocket" the license and when you want to, sell it at your OWN auction to the highest bidder. In other words, it's a mess.

As far as 7-11s and gas stations go, I think it's just an old-style law that goes back to the prohibition days. Why nobody will propose changing it, I don't know. If you want to feel a little bit better about things, try going over to Pennsylvania. To buy a six pack, 30 pack and a bottle of wine, you'd have to go to three different stores licensed to sell each type. In New York, however, you just apply to the state and, if you qualify and the area is properly zoned for bars/restaurants, you'll be granted a license at a standard issuing fee.
I thought there was some kind of law against this, in my limited experiance in NJ any supermarket that sells beer or wine does it in a seperate section of the store. The liquor department has it's own entrance and you can't pay for your groceries at those registers and you can't take your liquor from that part of the store and pay for it with your groceries. In NY there is usually an aisle by the refriderators that sells cold beer and sometimes they have wine there.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I thought there was some kind of law against this, in my limited experiance in NJ any supermarket that sells beer or wine does it in a seperate section of the store. The liquor department has it's own entrance and you can't pay for your groceries at those registers and you can't take your liquor from that part of the store and pay for it with your groceries. In NY there is usually an aisle by the refriderators that sells cold beer and sometimes they have wine there.
You're correct. There's no law against supermarkets selling beer or wine, and I don't believe there are any regulations about checkout, but from what I recall the law mandates some type of "divider" between the supermarket section and the liquor section.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Even better, try buying liquor in the State of Virginia. The first time I wanted to buy a bottle of rum, I asked where the liquor stores. Everyone directed me to the nearest ABC Store (Alcohol Beverage Control) which is run by the State. Sorry ass little shops with limited, expensive stock. Going back to NJ with its massive liquor stores was like being in Candyland (well, sort of).

Beer and wine in VA, however are sold in the supermarkets.
Ahh, true. Same with the Pennsylvania ABC stores. When I lived in Florida, however, it was great. They have both private liquor stores as well as the state ABC stores and they compete. The state ABC stores even have discount cards and drive-through lanes (I only know one place in NJ that does drive-through, it's in Brick Twp.) and the prices were pretty good from what I remember. The ABC store in Tampa I used to go to was beautiful and huge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey