Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 PM

22 posts, read 68,231 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My boyfriend and I are looking into buying our first home. We are from Essex County and are uninterested in staying here because the taxes are just too much for us. We've been looking in Union and Somerset counties and today we were shown a beautiful house on a cul-de-sac in Plainfield. If you are familiar with the area I would really appreciate your advice! The crime rates freak me out but I have lived in "border" areas of Orange, Newark, etc that I considered safe. This house is off of W. Seventh Street between Clinton and Monroe Ave, not far from the KFC and a supermarket. We are not worried about the school system, only crime and quality of life. We want to be safe and relaxed in our new home. We have driven around and checked the area out but I didn't see anything too alarming, I would like to know from those in the know! Any and all advice and information is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 04:08 PM

341 posts, read 678,760 times
That area is pretty good. The only problem you might find is the area of West 3rd between Clinton and Grant Sts. That stretch of street is known for being an area where crack/cocaine is sold. I know it is only four blocks away but the illicit activity seems to stay concentrated to 3rd street. So, if you do not have to worry about the school system, I would say that the area of 7th you are reffering to is safe. I have a friend who lives in the housing complex on 7th, just east of KFC. The complex is safe and well-kept, and yes it is in Plainfield. You might get some posters on here who will tell you to avoid Plainfield like the plague, though. I guess it is a matter of perspective. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
If you are worried only about crime and quality of life why would you even consider Plainfield? Move a little further West down Seventh St. into Piscataway.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:39 PM

22 posts, read 68,231 times
Thanks for the info El Dakar.

PDD: The house we are looking at is fantastic, and we're not likely to find another house this great for the same price. I am not concerned with the school districts as that won't be a factor for us, I am only concerned with the crime in that neighborhood and quality of life issues in that neighborhood. I am aware that Plainfield as a whole doesn't have a good reputation but I also know other towns that don't and have some great areas. Does that make sense?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 16,776 times
If you're looking in Elaine Court, you'll do fine. I live down the street on West 7th. For 25 years, having moved out from Brooklyn. You have a big church in the neighborhood (used to be St. Stanislaus RC), which is very interested in how stable the neighborhood is. Former director of the city's Senior Center lives part-time in the 900-block and half year in Florida. Her son, a Rutgers prof is raising his family in the house now, bought it from her. I've been involved in real estate since 1986 in Plainfield, and you certainly won't beat the value -- you will not get as nice a house for the price in Piscataway, even tho it's only two blocks down the street. 7th Street is also a county highway, gets plowed quickly in the winter, and the NYC buses stop right at the curb if that's of interest.

If you're looking at Shiloh Court, however (the new construction), be sure to check how many units are unsold and/or unbuilt yet. The market fell apart just as the developer was bringing the units to market and has had a terrible time getting the homes sold. I would be worried about being a 'pioneer' in a cul-de-sac that may not get built out for years, with empty lots.

Mod cut: NO links to blogs, per TOS.

All the best from someone else who wanted to check things out before buying, but the Internet had not been invented yet!

We snuck away from the realtor and came back on our own to check out the neighborhood and the next door neighbors reeled us in and we have watched as their kids grew up, went to college, got married, settled down and made the neighbors proud grandparents.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-01-2009 at 06:28 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossoms View Post
Thanks for the info El Dakar.

PDD: The house we are looking at is fantastic, and we're not likely to find another house this great for the same price. I am not concerned with the school districts as that won't be a factor for us, Does that make sense?
You must be a first time buyer as you are more conserned about the 'house" then you are about the location. When the time comes to sell you are going to hope for buyers who don't care about the poor schools and crime.

Only four blocks from one of the major crime areas in Plainfield. For some reason those crime areas seem to spread out rather than being overrun by honest hard working citizens like yourself.

I see that some Plainfield residents are trying to convince you that this is a good place to move. Just how many people are willing to admit they live in a lousy neighborhood.

Many years ago I lived in Green Brook very close to Plainfield and the bad guys found our neighborhood as easy pickings for their occasional break- ins. I could not move out fast enough.
Years back folks looking to buy a home in a diverse area were limited in their choices, not true today as you can buy a house in any town you choose. Why settle for one of the least desirable towns in Central NJ?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,776 times
PDD -- If your experience is 'many years ago', you don't give people a reason to give you cred. Badmouthing is a cheap and easy sport if you don't have any skin in the game.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM

449 posts, read 877,455 times
Default CherryBlossoms

Listen to pdd. He/she makes lots of sense.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaindan View Post
PDD -- If your experience is 'many years ago', you don't give people a reason to give you cred. Badmouthing is a cheap and easy sport if you don't have any skin in the game.
OK if you insist, I lived in Green Brook for 10 years and moved out 22 years ago.

I am also old enough to remember that little incident back in the sixties that started the free fall of Plainfield.
You remember that don't you when a few of the "locals" stomped a police officer to death?

I am sure there are many fine folks who call Plainfied home but there are far to many who are not the type most want for neighbors.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM

341 posts, read 678,760 times
Quote:
Quote:
there are far to many who are not the type most want for neighbors.
You claim that there are "far to many" people in Plainfield that "most" people do not want for neighbors. I believe that there are around 47,000 people in Plainfield. How many of that number constitutes most: 30,000? 40,000? 44,000? 46,500? That is a lot of people that you claim that "most" people do not want to live around.

The majority of people that live in Plainfield are law abiding normal people. So, with that being said, could you be a little more specific about these "types" that you claim "most" people do not want for neighbors? Since you claim that there are far too many of them, you should be able to give us specific details about them, so please do. What is it that "they" are doing that causes the "most" that you appointed yourself to speak for want to stay away? Also, since you know so much about the community of Plainfield and the characteristics of "most" of the residents there, you must spend a lot of time in Plainfield to be so aware of the mannerisms and habits of the residents. What is it that you do in Plainfield that affords you such access and knowledge of such information? The only way you could know about "most" of the residents of any locale is to be in a position to have contact with them regularly or live there.

You have made a pretty serious statement by charactarizing "most" of the residents of Plainfield as undesirable. I am asking you to elaborate on that statement and tell the forum how you came to this conclusion.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey