U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-28-2009, 07:36 PM

824 posts, read 1,242,020 times
Default Best Grocery Prices: Food Stores vs. WalMart

Just moved to North Brunswick, and there are so many places to food shop! So I thought I'd get some feedback as to where people are finding the best prices... the food store or WalMart. And if its the foodstore, which would you say is best overall: PathMark, Shop Rite, or Acme?
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-28-2009, 08:01 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,110,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Just moved to North Brunswick, and there are so many places to food shop! So I thought I'd get some feedback as to where people are finding the best prices... the food store or WalMart. And if its the foodstore, which would you say is best overall: PathMark, Shop Rite, or Acme?
Thanks everyone!

ShopRite

Unread 11-28-2009, 08:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,730,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
ShopRite
Correct Answer! Welcome to NJ. Wal-mart is for those who support slave labor. Pathmark has the best fried chicken

Unread 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM

336 posts, read 853,576 times
Shoprite, but if you want to take a ride try Wegman's.

Unread 11-28-2009, 09:51 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,918,203 times
Acme has the best quality, but it's always a bit pricy (they do have good sales though)
Shoprite is usually well priced, but the quality varies from store to store
Pathmark is also usually well priced, but their stores tend to be a little on the unkempt side.
For milk, if there's a Wawa around, they usually have the freshest milk.

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:46 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,406,268 times
Walmart is ok to grab a few things while you are there, or if its convienent, but its not a true "grocery store"

I wouldnt buy meat, fruits, or vegetables from a walmart....

Unread 11-29-2009, 07:11 AM

824 posts, read 1,242,020 times
Thanks everyone! If you can't tell I am trying to be a dilligent bargain shopper! I have also heard that its best to only buy FOOD at the food store... and save cleaning supplies / beauty products for places like WalMart or drug stores. So I am going to try that too. Happy shopping, everyone!

Unread 11-29-2009, 08:06 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,121,518 times
Shoprite!!!!

Pathmark, I believe, went out of business and is owned by A&P, not sure if all or some of them.

Wegmans has good quality but a bit pricey.

Unread 11-29-2009, 12:53 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,809,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Thanks everyone! If you can't tell I am trying to be a dilligent bargain shopper! I have also heard that its best to only buy FOOD at the food store... and save cleaning supplies / beauty products for places like WalMart or drug stores. So I am going to try that too. Happy shopping, everyone!

WRONG - I get a lot of my cleaning supplies free or for pennies at the grocery store. It depends on whether you use coupons, if you know how to maximize the deals for catalinas, etc.

Shoprite is your best bet if you're going to limit yourself to one store. Pathmart is ok for name brand items but not for meat or produce (IMO - some people love it). A&P is among the best for quality of produce but it's a tad pricey although, again, if you know how to work the catalina deals, it can net you free or nearly free.

Walmart - not for me. Costco & BJs are too expensive for me - no catalina deals and they don't double coupons.

Wegman's has great stuff, decent prices if you're not planning to use coupons.

Unread 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,121,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Walmart - not for me. Costco & BJs are too expensive for me - no catalina deals and they don't double coupons.
Actually I shop at Costco and get very good deals in quantity, and at Shoprite for the remainder.

Example: Find a BB roasted chicken for $4.99 the size Costco has at any food store or

3 doz X-large fresh eggs for between $3-$4.

milk is a little over $2 for a gallon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey