Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,198 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to New Jersey from California. I will be working in midtown (7th/53rd), and she will be working in Suffern, NY. Therefore, we are looking at towns in North Jersey. We found a great apartment in Edgewater and I wanted to find out about the commute to the city.

1) Would you recommend the bus or the ferry? The ferry seems expensive, but I'm not sure which is more convenient.

2) If I took the bus (#158), how long is the commute to Port Authority and is it likely I would get a seat?

3) If I took the ferry, what is the best way to get to 7th/53rd and how long would it take?

4) Finally, what would be the best way to come back to Edgewater if we stayed late in Manhattan (12 or 1 am)? Would the bus/ferry still be running, or should we take the Path to Hoboken and then cab it?

Thank you so much in advance. I love the town of Edgewater, but I just want to make sure the commute isn't going to be unbearable. If you want to recommend any other towns in North Jersey to check out as well, please do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,198 times
Default Other towns in Jersey

If there are other towns in Jersey anybody can recommend, we are looking to spend around $2500 for a 2 bdrm apartment. thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
Default edgewater

question 1: I would recommend the bus. As you state the ferry is expensive, a monthly bus ticket will cost $109.00
question 2: depending on where you get on in edgewater, it will take about 35-45 minutes to get to port authority
question 3: if you take the ferry, there is a shuttle bus that goes along 57th and another on 50th street. Don't know how long, but rush hour traffic can be terrible.
question 4: the bus (158) leaves port authority at 1:30 AM. The last ferry to edgewater is at 8:15 PM.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,164 times
If its not too late, I'd like to offer some suggestions. Edgewater is nice, but when moving there there are only 2 real roads in or out of the entire town. With all of the apartments there, it definitely gets congested. You may be better off moving up the hill rather than living right on the water.. there will be more variety w/r/t transportation and you'd still have great access to NYC and the rest of NJ and great views. Towns like Weehawken, West NY (along Blvd East) Fort Lee, Palisade Park.. Keep in mind that the commute to Suffern, won't be a party for the wife if you live that close to the water. When you work in NYC you will have more commuting options, working in Rockland County.. not so much...

Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,079 times
Hi there - I wanted to bump this thread and ask about the 158 bus.

How likely is it to get a seat on the 158 bus at Edgewater? Do people stand all the way to Port Authority?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Edgewater is along the earlier stretch of the 158 run. You'll probably have a better chance of a seat but I cannot provide direct comment.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1158.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey