Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 36,247 times

Advertisements

I have been reading these posts for awhile, and I'm hoping to get some advice on what town to focus on when looking for a 1-Bedroom apartment. Some details about my situation:

I moved back in with my parents after graduating college, but now that I have a decent job, I am trying to get my own place. I have lived in New Jersey my whole life (Caldwell area), but don't have a complete handle on all the towns in the area (other than the obvious Newark/Irvington=bad crime, Hoboken=expensive).

-I work in Ramsey, so I would want something that improved my commute (currently 40-45 min), but would settle for keeping it the same. I definitely don't want to increase that.
-I want to be somewhere that is an easy commute to Manhattan.
-I am single, so don't care about schools or anything like that. But, since I am going to be living alone, making sure it is a safe area is important.

-Lastly, I don't have a huge budget. I checked out craigslist and it does seem like there are 1-Bedroom apartments I can afford, but I am wondering about the average cost of utilities. Most of the places I have checked out either don't include them or only include heat/hotwater. So, I guess as a secondary question: in either of these scenarios how much additional cash to I have to factor in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
I have been reading these posts for awhile, and I'm hoping to get some advice on what town to focus on when looking for a 1-Bedroom apartment. Some details about my situation:

I moved back in with my parents after graduating college, but now that I have a decent job, I am trying to get my own place. I have lived in New Jersey my whole life (Caldwell area), but don't have a complete handle on all the towns in the area (other than the obvious Newark/Irvington=bad crime, Hoboken=expensive).

-I work in Ramsey, so I would want something that improved my commute (currently 40-45 min), but would settle for keeping it the same. I definitely don't want to increase that.
-I am single, so don't care about schools or anything like that. But, since I am going to be living alone, making sure it is a safe area is important.

-Lastly, I don't have a huge budget. I checked out craigslist and it does seem like there are 1-Bedroom apartments I can afford, but I am wondering about the average cost of utilities. Most of the places I have checked out either don't include them or only include heat/hotwater. So, I guess as a secondary question: in either of these scenarios how much additional cash to I have to factor in.
I lived in Cedar Grove right after college - loved it. Affordable apartments, not far from NY, and the commute to Ramsey shouldn't be all that difficult. Little Falls is another option (Hilltop Manor?). Also West Paterson has a huge apartment complex (you can see it from 80). Can't answer the heat/hot water question though.......

Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
Doesnt matter where you live, theres no such thing as an easy commute to Manhattan.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
I'm pretty sure that most places cover heat and hot water. I think some of the newer apartment complexes have electric heat and they might charge you for that, but that's definitely the exception, not the rule.

For utilities for a 1br, I usually spend about $50 a month on power, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, usually depending on how much I use the a/c.

Also keep in mind that cable and internet isn't cheap. I pay cablevision $80 a month for TV and cable internet.

Then there's your phone bill.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:01 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Doesnt matter where you live, theres no such thing as an easy commute to Manhattan.
True during weekdays, however, he said he working at Ramsey, so during weekends is easy ...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post

One suggestion to you that may benefit you for many years to come is that you want to start your lease at winter time. Why? In Greater New York area, there are many seasonal workers that will go back to their home country after December, so if you, as young starter, assuming NO rush to move out of your parents, you may try to wait till after Christmas!

You will find the fantasy of free one or two months rent for many apartment, and if not, you can occupied the BEST location that you could never dream for. Thereafter, every year or two when you change apartment, you will follow the good cycle ...

Too crowd to live with your parents? need more privacy? No problem, during weekdays, you are at work any way, and during weekends, you can go to priceline dott comm to bid a nice hotel and escape! May be use that saving to bid two rooms, and one for your parents once in a while?

Save some money to pay off your car first and wait for winter to come may be a good choice ...

Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 57,075 times
try lincoln park, west pat. or wayne. Both you can take rt.23 north to ramsey via 208 and rt 80 is right there to get to nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey