Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 42,445 times

Advertisements

Dear Glen Rockers-
My husband and I are looking at moving to Glen Rock in order to 1) be closer to my parents in Ridgewood and 2) have easy train access to the city for his job and for play. We are also planning to raise a family there, and from the stats it seems like a town very much dominated by family life. What I wonder about is the diversity there. It's not fair to compare to NYC ofcourse, but compared to other Jersey towns, is it far on the homogeneous side? Are the kids savvy about the world outside their small town? And is it true that property taxes average 11,000 dollars? How great are the pool and arboretum? And on a side note... will the high school ever get an orchestra?
Thanks for your input on my random questions
Tanya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM

26 posts, read 130,203 times
Check out Allendale, you get more land for the same price and same property taxes as Glen Rock. It is a quiet town.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 AM

7 posts, read 42,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetopa View Post
Check out Allendale, you get more land for the same price and same property taxes as Glen Rock. It is a quiet town.
Thanks. It's not too far from Ridgewood... What do you like about it?

Old 05-20-2007, 04:44 PM

162 posts, read 849,312 times
Default forum posting

[b]HiB]
I'm from Ridgewood NJ originally - have been in CT 30 years now. Anyways...I'm sorry I don't know much about Glen Rock - but my memories are it is a nice town - more reasonably priced than Ridgewood for houses etc. But...I do miss Ridgewood. I visited it a few years ago and longed to return. I hope it all works out well for you in Glen Rock. I'm wondering if I ever knew your family in Ridgewood. I lived on Somerville Rd near the Duck Pond off of Ridgewood Ave.
Patty
Peasmailbox@aol.com

Old 05-20-2007, 11:17 PM

123 posts, read 568,218 times
Glen Rock is like every other northern Bergen town-a world in its own. The kids are all the same-stuck in their own little world. It is like the rest of the county in that it is not diverse. I live 10 minutes from Glen Rock and find it to be a great little town. Allendale is great too, though. It is all personal preference-more land or less?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 10,628 times
If your still looking....I grew up in GR and it was great. It is a small town and we are close knit-but in a good way. I moved around for a long time and I came back to my moms not planning to stay. I am now living with and will probably marry a highschool friend. I graduated over 10 years ago now so I dont know too much about it now. I hope the kids are the same as we were. My mom has been in the same house for over 38 years, and no matter where I have gone or where I go I will always call Glen Rock home. Dont know if I will move back-soley due to taxes and overpriced homes-if you have the money....go for it. great brand new houses for sale across from the GR pool.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I don't think anyone can argue that Glen Rock is not a very nice town. Allendale in my opinion is really not much different in its niceness. GR taxes are very high;11k sounds about average. We were looking at the cheapest house in town and the taxes were more than 8k I think closer to 9k! Like others have said it is close knit, yes family oriented but I would not say diverse. In their own little world sounds about right to me, but this is like much of upper middle class NJ no?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:02 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlesser View Post
Dear Glen Rockers-
My husband and I are looking at moving to Glen Rock in order to 1) be closer to my parents in Ridgewood and 2) have easy train access to the city for his job and for play. We are also planning to raise a family there, and from the stats it seems like a town very much dominated by family life. What I wonder about is the diversity there. It's not fair to compare to NYC ofcourse, but compared to other Jersey towns, is it far on the homogeneous side? Are the kids savvy about the world outside their small town? And is it true that property taxes average 11,000 dollars? How great are the pool and arboretum? And on a side note... will the high school ever get an orchestra?
Thanks for your input on my random questions
Tanya
To address the diversity issue - Glen Rock is not very diverse. However, when you talk about kids being savvy about the outside world, I think those kids are more savvy than most simply because their parents have money. Most of my neighbors' kids (I live in Ridgewood) have been abroad at least once. They travel extensively throughout the country. Many spend weekends in NYC visiting museums, concerts, etc.

Most of them volunteer with things like food drives, they spend summers working at camps for kids with special needs. There is one such camp in the Duck Pond Park in Ridgewood and you have to see all the kids that volunteer there - all local teenagers who could be sitting in front of TV all summer long. Instead, you see them pushing wheelchairs and helping kids with CP get on the swings and enjoy life. Those kids are truly wonderful.

When we moved to Ridgewood a year ago, I was worried about lack of diversity and rich kids being preoccupied with themselves. To tell you the truth, I've seen some of the best teenagers in Ridgewood. Not all, of course, but majority are great kids and many of them understand how truly blessed they are.

Good Luck in Glen Rock. It's a great town and the new pool looks great. Maybe when you move there, you could get me a pass :-)

Last edited by ira; 12-14-2007 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM

165 posts, read 350,999 times
So where did you folks end up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey