Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 AM

78 posts, read 325,636 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I recently got an offer from RU for a position in Information Technolgoy. I see they have an ABP plan for employees, but someone working there told me that they do not offer pension, currently at my job i get some % of my salary when i retire for every year i work here. But someone else at RU, the hiring manager told me they do have a pension plan.
Does anyone know? I saw ABP but not sure if that's it, as if it's something else, like a 401k or 403B?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,255,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
Hi,
I recently got an offer from RU for a position in Information Technolgoy. I see they have an ABP plan for employees, but someone working there told me that they do not offer pension, currently at my job i get some % of my salary when i retire for every year i work here. But someone else at RU, the hiring manager told me they do have a pension plan.
Does anyone know? I saw ABP but not sure if that's it, as if it's something else, like a 401k or 403B?

Thanks.
Ask them if you have a defined benefit plan (that's a pension) or a defined contribution plan (that would be like a 401k). When I worked at Rutgers, I had a plan that was called a 401a (basically the same deal as a 401k).

Don't give up a defined benefit plan (what you have now) lightly.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 AM

78 posts, read 325,636 times
yeah i don't want to give up my current plan unless theirs is better, or atleast the same. but i'm not sure, i asked the hiring manager and she said it's a pension plan, but someone else said no it's not technically as it's 5% you contribute and 8% they match, which sounds like the 401a you mentioned. will try to find out more.
thanks!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,029,592 times
It depends what "Retirement Plan" is available for your position. PERS is the Public Employment Retirement System administered by the State of New Jersey. Details on it can be found at the PERS Retirement Plan page on the UHR website.

ABP is the Alternate Benefits Plan. This is more of a 401(k) format in that you are choosing an investment carrier to administer what is basically a mutual fund. Depending on how much you want to put away for retirement, the base employee contribution is 5%, but you can contribute more if you want. The maximum the University will put in is 8% of your base salary. For more information, look at this web page.

Having worked there for a number of years, I can tell you ABP is much more flexible than PERS.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,288,696 times
I also worked at Rutgers and participated in the ABP plan. Essentially, it's their version of a 401(k) plan. You contribute 5% and they give you 8%, but their match doesn't start until the beginning of your second year of employment. The accounts are housed with TIAA-CREF.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Partially correct.

TIAA-CREF is one of several with which you can invest. The others are:

Investment Carriers

Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 8,334 times
Hi, if you voluntarily contribute more than 5% for ABP tax sheltered pension, does Rutgers match the increased contribution?

I thought that's what happened when I previously worked at a corporation (i.e., the more I contributed, the more they contributed). At the corporation I had a 401K. I think at Rutgers my husband (who is the employee) has a 403B (maybe?).

Does that increased matching contribution NOT happen at Rutgers (but would potentially happen somewhere else)?
Thanks
pk (spouse of rutgers professor)

Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollykat View Post
Hi, if you voluntarily contribute more than 5% for ABP tax sheltered pension, does Rutgers match the increased contribution?

I thought that's what happened when I previously worked at a corporation (i.e., the more I contributed, the more they contributed). At the corporation I had a 401K. I think at Rutgers my husband (who is the employee) has a 403B (maybe?).

Does that increased matching contribution NOT happen at Rutgers (but would potentially happen somewhere else)?
Thanks
pk (spouse of rutgers professor)

No. The max contributed by RU to an ABP is 5%. Anything your husband contributes beyond 5% is just contributed by him. There would be no matching above the 5%.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,874 times
Smile RU Pension

Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Yes, RU has pension plans. Depending on your position at the university determines what pension you have. As long as you are a full-time employee you get there complete benefit package which includes medical, dental, prescription, pension, tuition remission, and a secondary pension if you choose.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM

225 posts, read 717,799 times
You should have been given an HR contact at Rutgers whom you can direct these questions to for definite answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey