Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,695 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My son has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, and I am looking for a good school in Northern NJ. Can anyone recommend.. I have already scheduled a Child Study Team for him, however, this process takes 90 days for the evaluation to be completed. In the meantime, his current school does not understand his situation and he has nurse Ratchett as a teacher. I immediately need to move him to a school that can provide the education that he needs..

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 AM

15 posts, read 95,601 times
Unhappy sorry--i know this is stressful b/c we live it too...

my son has the same diagnosis. Brick Township has an EXCELLENT program and the staff in general is very well informed. Their pre-k program is great. however--I know that isnt North Jersey.

The Milburn district is known for the excellent special ed program...

that being said--just know that no matter how great the district is--you will have to fight like hell to get what you need....

good luck!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 PM

20 posts, read 142,095 times
I am in Totowa zip is 07512 and have been very happy with his school. He is in an a preschool classroom with typical children and they have been really wonderful to him. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,501 times
Have you tried Montville ?

Old 05-19-2007, 05:18 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
Hi All,

My son has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, and I am looking for a good school in Northern NJ. Can anyone recommend.. I have already scheduled a Child Study Team for him, however, this process takes 90 days for the evaluation to be completed. In the meantime, his current school does not understand his situation and he has nurse Ratchett as a teacher. I immediately need to move him to a school that can provide the education that he needs..

Thanks in advance for all your help!
I don't know how long you have lived in New Jersey but state law "MANDATES" that all school systems to either have in place or put in place programs to deal with special needs children. You have rights and more importantly your child has rights. It is a known fact that "SOME" school systems prefer to not go the extra mile to give the proper care that these children need and deserve. The bottom line is it is usually boils down to money. If you like the town you live in but feel the school system is not dealing with your child in an effective manner make as much noise as you can. Contact the schools administrator and the state and make them aware of your concerns. It is incumbent on the school that they "UNDERSTAND" your childs situation. Good luck to you.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:57 PM

15 posts, read 95,601 times
Default this is true...but a bit naive

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I don't know how long you have lived in New Jersey but state law "MANDATES" that all school systems to either have in place or put in place programs to deal with special needs children. You have rights and more importantly your child has rights. It is a known fact that "SOME" school systems prefer to not go the extra mile to give the proper care that these children need and deserve. The bottom line is it is usually boils down to money. If you like the town you live in but feel the school system is not dealing with your child in an effective manner make as much noise as you can. Contact the schools administrator and the state and make them aware of your concerns. It is incumbent on the school that they "UNDERSTAND" your childs situation. Good luck to you.
YES! of course it is the law..and of course you can push for any type of service that is warranted --however--you can really benefit from a district that has a larger program that truly understands the needs of your child and can provide frequent and appropriate mainstreaming opportunities, teachers that are well therapists that are well versed in autism, pre-established social skills groups, etc.

so--it is silly to think that you can go into any school district, sue the pants off of them--and get what you want...and still wind up with the best possible interventions...

Last edited by jellybelly; 05-19-2007 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-19-2007, 08:07 PM

51 posts, read 262,271 times
How old is your child? Are you looking for a new school district to move to or are you looking for a private school for special needs students?
If you are looking for a new school district to move your family to...I can't really help you...I know very little about that. I don't believe you can enroll your child in a school outside of your school district.
However, if you are considering a private school for special needs students then I can give you more info...unfortunately not much that is in your favor. The info I can offer is based on my work experience within school systems...and as a parent advocate.

As far as I know "Private schools for the Disabled" in NJ will only accept students who have been through the Child Study Team Process and are determined to be "Eligible for Special Education and Related Services" (unfortunately this process normally and legally does take about 90 days).
As far as I know these schools will only accept students that are being "placed" there by their school's CST...not by a parent.
In my experience, I am unaware of any schools in NJ that are designed to meet the needs of a special needs student prior to the student being classified and without the school determining the placement. I have had parents mention out of state boarding schools that cost tons of money...but nothing in NJ. In fact most mainstream (regular education) private schools in NJ generally do not have adequate services for special needs students.
I could be wrong and would love to know if I am?

It sounds like the CST process will be completed by the start of the new school year. In the meantime, if your child is experiencing severe problems in school and you are concerned that it is detrimental to their well-being, you could request and advocate for home instruction for the remainder of the school year (5-10 hours of schooling in the home by a certified instructor). You could also begin to familiarize yourself with "Private schools for the Disabled" on the NJ DOE website in case it is determined that your child needs an out of district placement because your school district cannot meet their needs within the district:
http://www.state.nj.us/education/spe...te/instate.pdf

I hope this helps a little...I know how overwhelming this can be for the family and the child. The best advice I can give you is to educate yourself and then advocate for your child.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 52,973 times
I don't know if you still need this info but Lakehurst just got a wonderful grant for an autism program and I have seen several parents and advocates say that the CST is the best around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: