U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,328,961 times

Advertisements

84 arrested in Middlesex County gang sweep
by Tom Haydon/The Star-Ledger
Wednesday October 08, 2008, 4:08 PM

Eighty-four alleged gang members have been arrested in Middlesex County as a result of a six-month investigation by more than a dozen law enforcement agencies, Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan said today.

The total number of arrests includes 18 people who were nabbed within the past week through the Middlesex County Violent Gang Task Force, operating under Gov. Jon Corzine's Strategy for Safe Streets and Neighborhoods, Kaplan said.

The task force has also obtained warrants for an additional 16 accused gang members, Kaplan said.

Authorities said they believe the sweep caught members of more than 13 different street gangs, including several separate sets of the Bloods gang as well the Crips, La Mugre and Latin Kings gangs.

Several suspects were identified as high-ranking gang members, including Barry Mayo, 27, of New Brunswick, who is listed as a "5-star general" of the 9-TEK Bloods.

Authorities also executed four search warrants, confiscating eight handguns, two shotguns, an assault rifle, drugs and $43,180 in cash.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,074,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
My DH is friends w/ someone high up on the Bergen County Gang Task Force.... there are gangs in towns you really would not suspect them in. It's a shame lthis couldn't have been snuffed that out before it became an East Coast phenomenon too.
are you talking about italian mob families in southern bergen, or the rich kid skater gangs of northern bergen county?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM

2,645 posts, read 4,912,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
are you talking about italian mob families in southern bergen, or the rich kid skater gangs of northern bergen county?
I think he is referencing "street gangs".
With that said................... The only places I personally know of is Englewood & Hackensack in Bergen Co.
And even they are not very menacing to the community at large.
Some drug activity, but very little confrontation.
Not much competition, so no real need for violence on a street level.

Skater gangs? Of Northern Bergen Co? Lock your doors & hide your children.
Ridgewood run a muck!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 AM

5,074 posts, read 7,101,286 times
Keep in mind that there are only 8 recognized gangs in NJ. Of those 8, there are 3 to be concerned with. Bloods, Crips, and ALKQN (Almight Latin King and Queen Nation aka the Latin Kings). Yes they are in more than the big cities.

Any parent would do themselves well to find out the basics on each of them. Especially if you live in a zero tolerance area. There could be wannabes there and if you can recognize the signs, you can say something and the kid will be scared by their school or local police and probably discontinue the wannabe appearance.

They are also not just in High School. The gangs target much younger kids (8,9,10,11+ yrs old). Should you live in a lily white area, you may want to familiarize yourself with the Aryan Brotherhood (skinheads) as well. They are not prevalent here, but again, you may find wannabes. They are dangerous when they are in an area and have more time and resources available to them and not just the $50 they made selling crack yesterday.

I worked with them and live in a very small town. Yes, we have gangs here too, that just keep themselves under the radar, but you can spot them if you know what you're looking for.

I'm not saying to get paranoid, just educated. The other posters are right, if you have a good stable home for your kids and are on top of them, you should have no problems.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM

5,074 posts, read 7,101,286 times
OH - and the thing they enjoy most is publicity. It fuels them and that goes for all of them.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 PM

52 posts, read 184,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Seriously, in the 6 years I've been in Toms River I havent heard a peep about gang activity. I have heard they have presence in Lakewood and also Jackson. I was a little suprised when Jackson was mentioned. Anybody have any knowledge on gang activity in Jackson?
People from South Jersey seem to be clueless for some reason about gangs. Wasn't the LEADER of the BLOODS was found "hiding out" in Toms River? In every gang seminar I have gone to (I've been to quite a few) they police have told us there is literally NO town in NJ that is does not have gang members living in it. It's sad. They're hitting the well to do suburbs the best - and they want the honor students. Think about it - at the end of the day, who do you think they want counting their drug money? The school drop out, or the honors math student?They don't care if you're black, white or purple. They want power in numbers. They will use the child's parents to intimidate ("If you don't join us, we're going to kill your mother"- or they will CALL the Mother DIRECTLY to intimidate so the child sees it first hand!) They will beat up sibling as young as 9 years old to get the older sibling to join to "protect" their sibling. They're punks and they're ruthless, and they don't care. On the bright side, they're more likely to kill another gang member than a stranger on the street. I guess they get more "points" for killing a rival gang member than an ordinary "Joe" on the street.

My kids have been educated about the truth about gangs (and in spite of how much as they want you to believe it - they're NOT your family) since they were 6 years old.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,978,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Solibs, I live in this area and gangs exist, are we (meaning I) scared NO, is it a concern yes. Will the towns publicize it, if they had the info sure. I know POs in the area you listed and went to gang seminars. THEY ARE THERE. Are they large like in the major cities, no. They are offshoots of MS13, bloods and some local white supremist gangs. To believe there are no gangs here is being misinformed.
Exactly.... Right in the Ocean County Jail is proof that gangs exist in that area.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,259,783 times
To those who still think there aren't ganb members operating in the 'burbs, check this article out:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Gang_sweep_proves_presence_in_NJ_.html (broken link)

Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,119 times
We have a generation of children who have no respect or fear for ther parents, their teachers, law enforcement, and in some cases, even death.

Ok the idea that a child should be brought up fearing their parent is disgusting. Parents need to take responsability for their own failings and be there for their children as they are growing and know who they are. Involved parents, and I don't mean PTA class moms I mean parents who talk to their kids who know their friends and what they're doing in school, are more likely to impact the child and sway them from deciding on a gang.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM

57 posts, read 176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
VERY TRUE. I moved from TOMS RIVER a few months ago to Orange County, CA. I was up in LA a few times and it is NO JOKE. Harlem and Newark have nothing in compton, inglewood, watts= BAD NEWS!!! althought I've been reading in the press and observer online that there are increased issues of "bloods" rising up in south toms river, lakewood, and even toms river. One of my buddies is a cop in manchester and he has had a few incidents this year having to lend support to lakewood and so-toms river for gang stabbings and shootings.

As far as Brick goes, it was voted #1 safest city in america this year.

if you want to read some wacky stuff about 'real' gangs, check out Street Gangs Resource Center - Los Angeles and California | The Gang Experts it talks all about the origination of gangs and its dominance on the west coast. you can even do some basic searches on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. searching for "blood gangs" or "crip gangs" those are the 2 main ones. one that is on the rise is also "MS-13" it is a gang that formed in el salvador, they are not mexican, they are central americans out of salvador who are quite possibly one of the most violent, brutal, craziest gangs in america. not a big presence out in jersey yet, hopefully will never be as long as the 'big bosses' take care of things haha. i think that is why there is less gang activity in nj/ny= because the other 'gang' that they really don't have on the west coast, well not as much of 'family' out in california.
Plainfield and West New York have a large MS-13 population, hopefully it won't spread any further, but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey