Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM

13 posts, read 163,185 times

Advertisements

I live in Princeton and we had a few problems with gangs at my high school. A few kids who went to my school were shot and the school was locked down a few times because of gang threats. Most of the incidents and origins of the gangs were rooted in Trenton, but they sifted over, I guess. You wouldn't expect it because Princeton High has a high achievement rate, but it goes to show that gangs can be anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,341 times
gangs in brick??? lol, i don't think so

Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonraft View Post
gangs in brick??? lol, i don't think so
Before you are certain about that, I would contact the Brick police department.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 AM

27 posts, read 150,223 times
Exclamation Lodi: Attempted Drive-By Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
We had a gang related murder in Lodi in 2005. I assure you it's not just an inner city problem. It's more widespread than many are willing to admit. Click the link below for the story.

North Jersey Media Group providing local news, sports & classifieds for Northern New Jersey! (http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk1MCZmZ2Jl bDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NzIxOTUzMiZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRU V5eTM= - broken link)
One night, I heard a firework-like noise at night, but it did not sound like fireworks. it was an automatic gun. I found out that not far from my home, at the corner of of Grove and Terrace, there was a drive-by shooting. They missed the target, and they escaped. This scared the $h!t out of my neighborhood, because in Hasbrouck Heights, a nicer, more quiet town, things don't happen like that in our area. Lodi is a very dangerous town with gang activities, felons, and many other dangers. Unfortunately, I find that towns with a predominate African, Hispanic, or Italian population usually have high crime. And it hurts to say this because I m half Hispanic, and a small amount of black. I have a close relative who is Italian.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford n lloyd View Post
to say freehold boro doesn't have gangs is pure ignorance. a subset of newarks ms-13 gang practically owns the parker house apartments on broad st. The rugmill towers are infested with bloods(especially the 3rd and 4th floors) and 5%ers have been roaming mechanic st, bond st, and jackson st since i was a little boy. you must have us confused with freehold township. maybe youre so oblivious because youve only been around the kingsley town houses. the boro has just as many issues that need attention as the other towns stated earlier. (not to mention the federal investigation of an officer (Mr. Colonier) in the FBPD being accused of police brutality toward a 15 yr old boy and his mother during a routine traffic stop. but we wont even get into that
Damn right, Freehold is a broken town with crime, gangs, and felons. Just listen closely to Bruce Springsteen's song "My Hometown." He grew up there, and that was before freehold got even worse. Upper Freehold is a very nice, more wealthy town, but there is no fence to keep some Freeholders that want to do wrong out of Upper Freehold. Freehold used to be a nice town with a great mall where everyone from the Jersey Shore would shop, but I am afraid to go there now.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly View Post
we currently live in ocean county(south brick) and want to relocate--in this general vicinity(wall, no. Brick, point pleasant).

My son's school just did a workshop on gang activity--im mortified. But when i talk to people--they say--"its everywhere-even the good districts"

i find this very hard to believe--even in say manasquan, ocean township/deal area? The really high performing districts? Am i just naive?

I think the lower standards of education in certain districts(brick is a good example) is a breeding ground for this.

Does anyone have opinions/info on this.
i can tell you this now, there are sure as hell no gangs in manasquan, wall, sea girt, spring lake, deal, spring lake heights, monmouth beach, point pleasanbt, bay head, and mantoloking down to ortley beach. any of those towns. But there are in belmar, asbury park, neptune, seaside heights and all those towns. However, you must watch closely, because sometimes, where there's money the young are buying drugs.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaGirtBeachBum View Post
One night, I heard a firework-like noise at night, but it did not sound like fireworks. it was an automatic gun. I found out that not far from my home, at the corner of of Grove and Terrace, there was a drive-by shooting. They missed the target, and they escaped. This scared the $h!t out of my neighborhood, because in Hasbrouck Heights, a nicer, more quiet town, things don't happen like that in our area. Lodi is a very dangerous town with gang activities, felons, and many other dangers. Unfortunately, I find that towns with a predominate African, Hispanic, or Italian population usually have high crime. And it hurts to say this because I m half Hispanic, and a small amount of black. I have a close relative who is Italian.
When was this? There is gang activity in Lodi for sure.
It's a shame.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaGirtBeachBum View Post
Gang membership is ethnically diverse. The ethnicity of the neighborhood is not of consequence. There are gangs of just about every ethnicity. While they tag themselves as a "group that look out for each other", the members are very territorial in all aspects of their lives. Amongst themselves they have found homes, family etc.
In retrospect, at one point or another we've all been concerned about who our neighbors are. We were concerned because we wanted a sufficent comfort level that we were in the company of upstanding citizens. We did not, however, take over the neighborhood in such a manner that its residents were afraid to send children out to play or school. Have we passed this concern on to the next generation in such a manner that violence is their interpretation and solution? In addition, it is not towns of predominately one ethnic population or another that have a high crime rate. Crime is also ethnically diverse and it's perpetrators live in low income neighborhoods. To continue to believe towns of predominately one ethnicity or another are high crime neighborhoods is indicating the specific ethnic background breeds criminals and can be misconstrued as a rascist statement.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
My DH is friends w/ someone high up on the Bergen County Gang Task Force.... there are gangs in towns you really would not suspect them in. It's a shame lthis couldn't have been snuffed that out before it became an East Coast phenomenon too.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarsy View Post
I live in Princeton and we had a few problems with gangs at my high school. A few kids who went to my school were shot and the school was locked down a few times because of gang threats. Most of the incidents and origins of the gangs were rooted in Trenton, but they sifted over, I guess. You wouldn't expect it because Princeton High has a high achievement rate, but it goes to show that gangs can be anywhere.
True. While there are gangs in Princeton and other parts of Mercer County, outside of Trenton gang problems are not that bad. Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey