Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 AM

15 posts, read 95,582 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Ocean County(South Brick) and want to relocate--in this general vicinity(Wall, No. Brick, Point Pleasant).

My son's school just did a workshop on gang activity--Im mortified. But when I talk to people--they say--"its everywhere-even the good districts"

I find this very hard to believe--even in say Manasquan, Ocean Township/Deal area? The really high performing districts? Am I just naive?

I think the lower standards of education in certain districts(brick is a good example) is a breeding ground for this.

does anyone have opinions/info on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Jellybelly, although I'm in Cape May County, I think the local reported gang activity is often "wannabe" gangs. Some of these kids think they are tough and intimidating - then hop into mommy's BMW for their orthodontist appointment.
I know that some areas truly do have a problem, but I think there are many school districts that put the word out that they have zero tolerance for this. I know our local high school has many security rules in place, including a uniform dress code to control an aspect of it by preventing people wearing their 'colors.'

Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly View Post
We currently live in Ocean County(South Brick) and want to relocate--in this general vicinity(Wall, No. Brick, Point Pleasant).

My son's school just did a workshop on gang activity--Im mortified. But when I talk to people--they say--"its everywhere-even the good districts"

I find this very hard to believe--even in say Manasquan, Ocean Township/Deal area? The really high performing districts? Am I just naive?

I think the lower standards of education in certain districts(brick is a good example) is a breeding ground for this.

does anyone have opinions/info on this.

gangs can be anywhere, that said, this traveling road show that's been going from school to school is just drumming up fear. this fear that they are causing is self serving, no gangs means no gang squads means less funding means jobs could be cut, get the picture?

I'm sure that kids fall into gangs in suburban towns but if the parents are doing their job of providing a strong family and supervising their kids then in most places you have little to worry about.

If you live in places like lakewood, or near asbury park/neptune you'd have more cause for alarm, but in places like brick, wall, or howell the likelyhood of gang issues is low.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Some of this is silly. An increase in gang activity will be seen in areas where there is a lack of economic opportunity and isolation is a factor. There have been small pockets of poverty in Monmouth County for a very long time and even those areas do not have a big problem with gangs. If you live in a county with a new influx of low income people or you are experiencing an economic depression in your area, there would be a reason for some concern. Otherwise this will not be at the top of your list. Cost of living should be at the top of your list for concerns in central NJ.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah there really aren't true "gangs" in most of NJ. Except for a few urban areas like Newark, Camden, Paterson, Elizabeth, Jersey City they don't exist as any real force in this state. Now mind you, there are tons of punk kids in NJ, but they aren't gang members, they're just a$$holes with bad parents.

If you want to see a real gang problem you need to go to California or just across the GWB to a place like the Bronx. In these areas you'll find a gang problem. That situations doesn't exist to the same degree in NJ.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 AM

202 posts, read 992,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Now mind you, there are tons of punk kids in NJ, but they aren't gang members, they're just a$$holes with bad parents.
LOL, well put.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Gangs can be annoying but all of them aren't 'genuine'

Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Yeah there really aren't true "gangs" in most of NJ. Except for a few urban areas like Newark, Camden, Paterson, Elizabeth, Jersey City they don't exist as any real force in this state. Now mind you, there are tons of punk kids in NJ, but they aren't gang members, they're just a$$holes with bad parents.

If you want to see a real gang problem you need to go to California or just across the GWB to a place like the Bronx. In these areas you'll find a gang problem. That situations doesn't exist to the same degree in NJ.
And an 'earthload' of wannabees who try so hard to be ghetto.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
Quote:

Not to the same degree? Are you kidding me? NJ gangs are if not the same worse than those in New York. They are more widespread and more drug oriented so it breeds more violence. Especially in North Jersey. The presence of gangs when I was in school was overwhelming. Ive lost classmates to gang violence and i didnt live in the towns you mentioned. Trust me NJ gangs are just as bad.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Gang problems are certainly an issue in New Jersey; ask any police officer. Moreso in the more urban areas, the gangs are well organized and affiliated with major groups (Bloods, Crips, MS-14, etc.). They run drugs and weapons. In the wealthier, suburban areas, it might be a group of kids causing problems, but on a smaller scale and not as well organized or affiliated with the more well-known groups. It's not just a problem with the school districts...it's a problem of kids with way too much time on their hands, absentee parents, and kids needing to feel like they are a part of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey