U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 PM

593 posts, read 1,330,233 times

Advertisements

I know that racism is everywhere but that shouldn't excuse it though. You know, I'm like this.. If you have a problem with me, just let me know. Just be honest about it. You know, I don't appreciate having people throwing me nasty faces, saying derogatory statements to my face calling me "boy" or talking about "malt liquors and 40s" thinking I don't know what they're talking about, giving me an attitude for NO apparent reason and all these hints that basically are suggesting the obvious. The truth will set you free.

What kills me is that there's people outthere that think this isn't true? You know, they live where I live and they're like "you're just being paranoid" but when you're working at x, y, z job in blank town and you have to come in contact with the people living in or around the town and most of them have the same form of attitude, then what else can I say. It's obviously true. I remember when this elderly black lady gave me a warning and told me straight up, "that this town that you're working in is very racist. the people over here let you know that they don't like you right to your face." She was right.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 PM

593 posts, read 1,330,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post

To the OP, I know how u feel, its a similar experience for an Arab looking guy like me. U have to just be yourself and demand respect rather u defy or represent what ever label is slapped on u. MLK did this and became a hero.
I agree. For real, I don't understand why people can't keep their hate to themselves. It's disgusting. Just yesterday alone. What's even more irking is that there's black people outthere as black as me that will hurt me for no dayum reason at all. They look at me as much as an enemy as those same racist folks at the job I work at.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 PM

2,636 posts, read 4,730,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I know that racism is everywhere but that shouldn't excuse it though.
Indeed................................ Everyone knows this. What is your ultimate point though?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,794,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
People are racist but I don't think its necessary a negative thing to feel discriminated against. I love all man but I even have a racism against blacks, hispanics, orientals, whites, europeans and even my own people at a subconscious level. Some are negative but some are positive. Between a black-skinned man and Mexican to wash my new car, I'd take my chances with the Mexican. Between an Indian and a black man to be on my team for a basketball game, I'd probably pick the black man. Between a white boy and asian in my study team I'd probably first ask the asian for help. Between a Polish man and American white man to cook my food, well I wouldn't care because I haven't met many Polish people. People should try to be positively racist. If u have good experience with an oriental run drycleaner to clean your clothes then why not give them business?
Dude, that's not racism. Racism is believing other races than your own are generally inferior, and below you. You're talking about stereotyping/ prejudice. They're two related concepts, but I wouldn't run around telling people you are racist just because you stereotype different races based on their more apparent differences and characteristics.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,421,520 times
Quote:
I know that racism is everywhere but that shouldn't excuse it though. You know, I'm like this.. If you have a problem with me, just let me know. Just be honest about it. You know, I don't appreciate having people throwing me nasty faces, saying derogatory statements to my face calling me "boy" or talking about "malt liquors and 40s" thinking I don't know what they're talking about, giving me an attitude for NO apparent reason and all these hints that basically are suggesting the obvious. The truth will set you free.

What kills me is that there's people outthere that think this isn't true? You know, they live where I live and they're like "you're just being paranoid" but when you're working at x, y, z job in blank town and you have to come in contact with the people living in or around the town and most of them have the same form of attitude, then what else can I say. It's obviously true. I remember when this elderly black lady gave me a warning and told me straight up, "that this town that you're working in is very racist. the people over here let you know that they don't like you right to your face." She was right.
I'm interested. What particular context were you in that you felt racism directed towards you?

I'm sorry it happened, man. Just please respond to it by excelling in whatever you want to do with your life. Don't let that crap that these people direct towards you get you down.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 AM

1,771 posts, read 2,412,046 times
Quote:
I agree. For real, I don't understand why people can't keep their hate to themselves. It's disgusting. Just yesterday alone. What's even more irking is that there's black people outthere as black as me that will hurt me for no dayum reason at all. They look at me as much as an enemy as those same racist folks at the job I work at.

Soo.. how are the people at your job racist? What do they do and say?

We have this black lady at our job and she calls out a lot. The other day she was MAD and claimed that our supervisors and HR were racist because she received a final warning for absences. She was out for 7 days like 3 weeks prior to that (of course there were a lot more calls outs prior to this) She claims to have bronchitis.

I had bronchitis in September. I also have severe asthma. I was out for 3 days.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,157,083 times
NJ's so racist

Black people are in the KKK and white people call the ACLU on themselves

seriously, if someone's racist, just don't give them the time of day

Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,402,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You want to see racists? Try living in Newark......and being white.
I'm white and live in Newark. Almost 3 years now in the Central ward. I've never had a racial slur thrown at me nor been attacked, insulted or threatened on the basis of race.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 AM

52 posts, read 105,580 times
angerinthenation,

Hey that sucks, and Im sorry for that. Ya know, you get all these people who say that aint true and this in that, but why the hell would you lie? You wouldnt, so My response to you is, I hope people can change for the better one day. I asked how comfortable Id be in san antonio ona thread as a white girl cause I was thinking of moving there, and man O man, people went psyco on me......I think its a pretty descent question to ask, but thats just me.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 AM

3,223 posts, read 7,814,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Dude, that's not racism. Racism is believing other races than your own are generally inferior, and below you. You're talking about stereotyping/ prejudice. They're two related concepts, but I wouldn't run around telling people you are racist just because you stereotype different races based on their more apparent differences and characteristics.
Well my grandmother calls blacks the N word. At the same time she loves michael jackson. She is racist. I think it is racist to favor any race over the other, but people do it including myself. I would never support anything that could encourage genocide or hate though. I only know one person who I can confidently say is 100% racist, if my grandmother is 99%, one guy I know is 100% racist. However rare it is it can be a scary thing when its predominent in some towns. I can only pity these people for living in such a small restricted world and wish they change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey