U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,840,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
People are racist but I don't think its necessary a negative thing to feel discriminated against.
Really ? You might have a difficult time trying to convince those people with burning crosses on their front lawns of that ?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,259,856 times
A specific experience would be very different than throughout one's lifetime which is what I assumed was the discussion.
Over a lifetime that is not something that builds character- it just hinders and creates even more obstacles.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:50 PM

8,079 posts, read 8,398,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
My lousy $0.02:
Livingston is quite huge. I'm not sure I've ever had a memorable experience there. I'm sure they wish they were Chatham... or even Summit, for that matter.

-EJS
You are right. You really HAVEN'T spent much time there. People in Livingston are quite content being from Livingston. If anything, they have TOO MUCH town pride. Many of them look down on Chatham as being too...lets just say...too homogenous. Summit rarely even enters their mind as a near bye town. I'm not sure why, it's not that far away, but it is just a town that you go out to dinner in once in a while. You may as well be talking about Mars.

As to the OP. I disagree. First of all, there are enough of people in Livingston that give ME that vibe, and I'm white...AND Jewish for that matter. I just ignore them. So you may be misreading snobiness as racism. Secondly, my housekeeper and her teenage son live in my home. They are black. He goes to Livingston High School and is one of the most popular kids in his class. He doesn't act "white". He doesn't act "black". He is just himself, and he is a good, friendly kid so people like him. So I reject your claim that it is a racist town. It is true that there aren't a lot of black people living here, but that is more a matter of finances than racism. There are plenty of Asians here, and I never hear them complain of racism. Hell, the few black families that DO live here seem to fit right in. I think it is a lot more accepting than most towns. Unfortunately, we have a lot of snobby people here, and as I said, you were probably confusing snobiness for racism. I have to deal with it too, and I just ignore them.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 12-20-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,259,856 times
If you havn't spent much time there why comment at all?
Anyone can claim anything about any community or the people who live in it but to start a thread w/o knowledge?
People keeping company with their own is not an indicator of racism.
Everyone's definition of what "progressive" means will not be the same either.
There is no way that someone can claim certain towns have active membership in "you fill in the blank". They really don't know and it is irresponsible to post.
Personal prejudices are not the same thing as racism.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 32,432,069 times
This thread is now locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey