U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
 
593 posts, read 1,330,820 times
Reputation: 317

Advertisements

Seriously, I know people are going to be like "that's not true. I'm not racist and basically misunderstanding what I'm saying" but seriously, I can seriously feel the vibe when I go around certain towns. I know for a fact that I would not want to live in certain towns such as Summit, Livingston or Springfield because of the way people act around there. They act funny towards black people. I know some of you are going to be like "it's your attitude or how you come off" but nope, you can act friendly as hell to them, you can see it in their face and in their attitude, they don't like you because you're not one of them.

 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,636 posts, read 4,733,466 times
Reputation: 2230
No! Really!
The same can be said for numerous neighborhoods around the United States from NYC to the West Coast.
Welcome to America.
Trying to pin this just on New Jersey speaks more to your agenda than it does specifically the Garden State.
You have to try harder than this to disparage NJ......................

Last edited by knoxgarden; 12-13-2009 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: too much of a personal attack
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,086,368 times
Reputation: 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Seriously, I know people are going to be like "that's not true. I'm not racist and basically misunderstanding what I'm saying" but seriously, I can seriously feel the vibe when I go around certain towns. I know for a fact that I would not want to live in certain towns such as Summit, Livingston or Springfield because of the way people act around there. They act funny towards black people. I know some of you are going to be like "it's your attitude or how you come off" but nope, you can act friendly as hell to them, you can see it in their face and in their attitude, they don't like you because you're not one of them.
Why not live somewhere better, then? Like Tennessee or Minnesota. I have heard that in every other state in the nation when a black person goes into any town that has non-black people, the non-black people not only don't give off a racist vibe, but they will offer the black person homemade cookies and yummy juice, and often they also invite them over for dinner. In Jersey they will just give you a vibe with their racist faces, though. Only in Jersey, really.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
EB2
 
Location: Florida
1,927 posts, read 5,119,359 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
No! Really!
The same can be said for numerous neighborhoods around the United States from NYC to the West Coast.
Welcome to America.
Trying to pin this just on New Jersey speaks more to your agenda than it does specifically the Garden State.
You have to try harder than this to disparage NJ...................... Which is your ultimate goal on this site.
Was about to say the exact same thing. Almost anywhere, not even just the US, is going to have some sort of racism and/or hate.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:28 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 2,943,041 times
Reputation: 1354
Livingston's demographics seem to be changing and there are more blacks than you think. I doubt they are discriminated against anymore than anyone else in Livingston who isn't Jewish. It's a very tight knit community.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Murphy, NC
3,223 posts, read 7,818,356 times
Reputation: 1414
People are racist but I don't think its necessary a negative thing to feel discriminated against. I love all man but I even have a racism against blacks, hispanics, orientals, whites, europeans and even my own people at a subconscious level. Some are negative but some are positive. Between a black-skinned man and Mexican to wash my new car, I'd take my chances with the Mexican. Between an Indian and a black man to be on my team for a basketball game, I'd probably pick the black man. Between a white boy and asian in my study team I'd probably first ask the asian for help. Between a Polish man and American white man to cook my food, well I wouldn't care because I haven't met many Polish people. People should try to be positively racist. If u have good experience with an oriental run drycleaner to clean your clothes then why not give them business?
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,636 posts, read 4,733,466 times
Reputation: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
People are racist but I don't think its necessary a negative thing to feel discriminated against. I love all man but I even have a racism against blacks, hispanics, orientals, whites, europeans and even my own people at a subconscious level. Some are negative but some are positive. Between a black-skinned man and Mexican to wash my new car, I'd take my chances with the Mexican. Between an Indian and a black man to be on my team for a basketball game, I'd probably pick the black man. Between a white boy and asian in my study team I'd probably first ask the asian for help. Between a Polish man and American white man to cook my food, well I wouldn't care because I haven't met many Polish people. People should try to be positively racist. If u have good experience with an oriental run drycleaner to clean your clothes then why not give them business?
Ummmm................ Okay.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 6,932,660 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Seriously, I know people are going to be like "that's not true. I'm not racist and basically misunderstanding what I'm saying" but seriously, I can seriously feel the vibe when I go around certain towns. I know for a fact that I would not want to live in certain towns such as Summit, Livingston or Springfield because of the way people act around there. They act funny towards black people. I know some of you are going to be like "it's your attitude or how you come off" but nope, you can act friendly as hell to them, you can see it in their face and in their attitude, they don't like you because you're not one of them.
You want to see racists? Try living in Newark......and being white.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 PM
 
593 posts, read 1,330,820 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You want to see racists? Try living in Newark......and being white.

LMAO! I think you should take back that statement, man, for your own good. Which section of Newark do you live if you live there?
 
Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Murphy, NC
3,223 posts, read 7,818,356 times
Reputation: 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Ummmm................ Okay.
Choosing the Mexican car wash over the African American/Haitan car wash doesn't mean African Americans/Haitans are bad at washing cars, maybe it just means I have a great experience with Mexicans washing my car and don't feel like taking a chance. If something works u generally stick to what u know. On the other hand, if I have a problem with illegals I might go to the brothas to wash my car, even if they charge more. People will always be racist, anyone who says they aren't is probably fibbing at some level, naive, or feel guilty of something in their past.

To the OP, I know how u feel, its a similar experience for an Arab looking guy like me. U have to just be yourself and demand respect rather u defy or represent what ever label is slapped on u. MLK did this and became a hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top