Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 07:04 AM

323 posts, read 1,790,881 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Excuse my ignorance here but I am staying in Ramsey, NJ, working temporarily in Suffern, NY.
Would like to know how to take the bus from mahwah to NYC.
I havent taken a bus or train or anything since I was a teenager and I am 50 yrs old now!
I would appreciate any local that can tell me where to get bus along Franklin Turnpike in Mawhah , whether i can use cash etc. How long do the busses run etc.
Thank you all so very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 AM

181 posts, read 1,121,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Hi everyone,
Excuse my ignorance here but I am staying in Ramsey, NJ, working temporarily in Suffern, NY.
I havent taken a bus or train or anything since I was a teenager and I am 50 yrs old now!
I would appreciate any local that can tell me where to get bus along Franklin Turnpike in Mawhah , whether i can use cash etc. How long do the busses run etc.
The Coach USA Shortline bus goes along Franklin Tkp in Mahwah to NYC look at Coach USA.com. It takes about an hour as long there is no major traffic congestion as it takes route 17 which passes through Paramus and the drivers should take cash but like tickets if possible. There are marked bus stops along Franklin tkp.
You also have the Train to Hoboken where you can change at Secaucus Station to go to Penn Station NY take the PATH trains from Hoboken

Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
you're probably better off taking the train rather than the bus, since the train tends to offer more frequent and reliable service from northwestern bergen county to nyc, especially during off-peak hours.

there are four train stations in the area - one each in suffern and mahwah and two in ramsey. the station with the most parking is the ramsey route 17 station, which is conveniently located along route 17 and has a huge five story parking deck with plenty of spaces.

ramsey's other train station is located in the downtown area. you should choose whichever station makes the most sense for you, but since you'll be living in ramsey, i'm not sure why you'd need to drive further north into mahwah to catch public transportation into nyc. and suffern's train station would only be an option if you plan on taking the train directly from work.

all of these stations are serviced by nj transit's main line and bergen county line. the ramsey route 17 station and the suffern station are also serviced by the port jervis line.

check njtransit.com for train schedules.

you can purchase tickets at the automated kiosks at each station. if you don't have a ticket prior to boarding the train, you'll be assessed a $5 surcharge by the ticket agent.

if you plan on taking the train during non-rush hour times, get the off-peak roundtrip ticket, which is cheaper than the regular price. trains that qualify as "off-peak" are labeled as such on the train schedule.

also, be aware that you have two options when riding the nj transit train:

1) you can ride the train all the way to the last stop in hoboken, then switch to the PATH train (which is essentially a subway train that connects the urban areas of northeastern nj with nyc) or the ny waterway ferry to get to midtown or downtown manhattan
2) you can get off of the train in secaucus, which is one stop before hoboken, and then switch to a connecting nj transit train to penn station in midtown manhattan

if you plan on travelling to midtown, either option will work for you. option 1 will be faster during rush hour, but option 2 will probably work better during off-peak hours, especially late at night and possibly on weekends, since the PATH runs 24/7.

option 2 is definitely the way to go if you need to travel to downtown manhattan (world trade center/wall street/city hall/south street seaport/greenwich village/soho/chinatown) or brooklyn.

keep in mind that regardless which option you choose, you can always take the nyc subway to travel between midtown, downtown, and other areas of the city.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM

323 posts, read 1,790,881 times
Thank you both for taking the time out and posting a response to my question.
I will attempt to implement asap.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Thank you both for taking the time out and posting a response to my question.
I will attempt to implement asap.
*quick but very important correction to my earlier post*

i wrote:
"1) you can ride the train all the way to the last stop in hoboken, then switch to the PATH train (which is essentially a subway train that connects the urban areas of northeastern nj with nyc) or the ny waterway ferry to get to midtown or downtown manhattan
2) you can get off of the train in secaucus, which is one stop before hoboken, and then switch to a connecting nj transit train to penn station in midtown manhattan"

but then i must've had a brain lock, because i wrote the following incorrect information:

"if you plan on travelling to midtown, either option will work for you. option 1 will be faster during rush hour, but option 2 will probably work better during off-peak hours, especially late at night and possibly on weekends, since the PATH runs 24/7.

option 2 is definitely the way to go if you need to travel to downtown manhattan (world trade center/wall street/city hall/south street seaport/greenwich village/soho/chinatown) or brooklyn."

*what i'd actually meant to say is that option TWO will be faster to midtown during rush hour, but option ONE will probably work better during off-peak hours. and option ONE is definitely the way to go if you need to travel to downtown manhattan or brooklyn.*

sorry for mixing that up.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 31,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
you're probably better off taking the train rather than the bus, since the train tends to offer more frequent and reliable service from northwestern bergen county to nyc, especially during off-peak hours.

there are four train stations in the area - one each in suffern and mahwah and two in ramsey. the station with the most parking is the ramsey route 17 station, which is conveniently located along route 17 and has a huge five story parking deck with plenty of spaces.

ramsey's other train station is located in the downtown area. you should choose whichever station makes the most sense for you, but since you'll be living in ramsey, i'm not sure why you'd need to drive further north into mahwah to catch public transportation into nyc. and suffern's train station would only be an option if you plan on taking the train directly from work.

all of these stations are serviced by nj transit's main line and bergen county line. the ramsey route 17 station and the suffern station are also serviced by the port jervis line.

check njtransit.com for train schedules.

you can purchase tickets at the automated kiosks at each station. if you don't have a ticket prior to boarding the train, you'll be assessed a $5 surcharge by the ticket agent.

if you plan on taking the train during non-rush hour times, get the off-peak roundtrip ticket, which is cheaper than the regular price. trains that qualify as "off-peak" are labeled as such on the train schedule.

also, be aware that you have two options when riding the nj transit train:

1) you can ride the train all the way to the last stop in hoboken, then switch to the PATH train (which is essentially a subway train that connects the urban areas of northeastern nj with nyc) or the ny waterway ferry to get to midtown or downtown manhattan
2) you can get off of the train in secaucus, which is one stop before hoboken, and then switch to a connecting nj transit train to penn station in midtown manhattan

if you plan on travelling to midtown, either option will work for you. option 1 will be faster during rush hour, but option 2 will probably work better during off-peak hours, especially late at night and possibly on weekends, since the PATH runs 24/7.

option 2 is definitely the way to go if you need to travel to downtown manhattan (world trade center/wall street/city hall/south street seaport/greenwich village/soho/chinatown) or brooklyn.

keep in mind that regardless which option you choose, you can always take the nyc subway to travel between midtown, downtown, and other areas of the city.
if i was parking in mahway for 1 day, do i need a permit? someone told me they dont check the cars?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdraft View Post
if i was parking in mahway for 1 day, do i need a permit? someone told me they dont check the cars?
Your better off going to Ramsey Route 17 Station and parking there...

Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 31,232 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Your better off going to Ramsey Route 17 Station and parking there...
thanks i will do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey