Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 PM

36 posts, read 104,882 times

Advertisements

Holmdel is a nice town My brother has a nice home there, as far as making the list they have their reasons for ranking which includes a number of factors that surprise people in how they come up with the top places to live.
I myself live in Somerset section of Franklin twp. up in Somerset county where my town has been named in the countries best places to raise a family several times over the past few years. it wasn't until i ooked at the factors in how they came up with crazy claim I understood.

It isn't all about "Flash" its the overall picture. Congrats to Holmdel in getting some recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think "downtowns" are a primitive construct and are of little importance today. i think you overestimate peoples desire to have one in their town.

do you actually know this about kansas?
Do you live in Central Jersey? Then you WOULD have that opinion

I personally would like to walk to the deli, bank, pharmacy & grocery store in a few short blocks instead of driving, sittting in traffic, parking, getting out, rinse & repeat for every little stop you have to make. It's why these seemingly expansive suburbs seem so damn crowded with traffic.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post

I personally would like to walk to the deli, bank, pharmacy & grocery store in a few short blocks instead of driving, sittting in traffic, parking, getting out, rinse & repeat for every little stop you have to make. It's why these seemingly expansive suburbs seem so damn crowded with traffic.
yep, i live in holmdel so i guess it makes sense that i moved to a place that fits my preferences. i lived in brooklyn for 4 years and could walk to those things you mentioned, but those things were nothing compared what i can drive to in 5-10 minutes from my house here. more choices, nicer atmosphere, parking and better prices.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,831 times
Quote:

I disagree. A couple months ago I had to go up north for a meeting. I drove through Chatham and Madison. It took me forever to get through the downtown area with all the traffic, and it was impossible to find a parking space. When I drive somewhere around here, I don't sit in traffic or have to deal with narrow, one-lane little streets with annoying pedestrians walking right out in front of me from all directions.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:

I agree, I didn't realize how I missed it until I didn't have it anymore.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I disagree. A couple months ago I had to go up north for a meeting. I drove through Chatham and Madison. It took me forever to get through the downtown area with all the traffic, and it was impossible to find a parking space. When I drive somewhere around here, I don't sit in traffic or have to deal with narrow, one-lane little streets with annoying pedestrians walking right out in front of me from all directions.
you wouldn't need the car if you lived there.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 AM

877 posts, read 2,838,354 times
I agree if you can walk you wouldn't need to drive. The problem is convenience to work. The only time living in a pedestrian-friendly area helps is if you work there too. If not, you will have to allow extra time to drive through those streets which are not vehicle friendly. I lived in a summer sublet in New Brunswick two years ago and worked the same job I have now in South Brunswick. It was chaos just getting out of the city. That is why I moved right outside of New Brunswick now. It is more vehicle-friendly here and I am still right down the road from it whenever I want to go hang out there.

Then again as I have said before, the "country roads" are not vehicle-friendly either with one lane each way. Esp those roads such as Newman Springs Rd (520). Gridlock for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey