U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 PM

14 posts, read 16,521 times
Default Commute from Wayne to Woodcliff Lake

Hey everyone. I am relocating to NJ and will be staying in Wayne and commuting to Woodcliff Lake. What is the commute like? My GPS says it's only a 1/2 hour, but I know traffic so I'm assuming it will be a little longer. Any advice or thoughts about the commute?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 PM

4,086 posts, read 4,935,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsgolden View Post
Hey everyone. I am relocating to NJ and will be staying in Wayne and commuting to Woodcliff Lake. What is the commute like? My GPS says it's only a 1/2 hour, but I know traffic so I'm assuming it will be a little longer. Any advice or thoughts about the commute?

Thanks!
Should be a piece of cake. You should be going against traffic on the Parkway, but on 80 you may sit in traffic. Then again, you are close enough that you may be able to take side roads and not 80 (or 46)... If the traffic is not bad it's a piece of cake, but even if the traffic is bad, you're not going too far. What is it, 20 miles, tops? And the Parkway really should give you no problems at all for that small stretch, going away from NY. Also, your job in WL is probably right off the parkway, so once you exit you should be a couple minutes from work, maybe 5 minutes with traffic (lots of corp.'s there).

I currently commute from Park Ridge to Madison, I've also commuted to Whippany (same area as Madison), so I do the reverse of your commute (plus much more!). For me, going down the Parkway is fine, and going west on 80 is fine, but when I get on 80 from the Parkway I see that it is backed up all the way to Paterson.

They are doing construction on 80 near Paterson and that may be the cause for the morning traffic, I don't know. I know that it affects my return commute, so now I take 287, but I wouldn't recommend 287 for your commute.

I would bet that even with the worst traffic you're looking at no more than an hour. With normal traffic it should be 30-40 minutes. With little traffic and if you speed it can be done under 30 minutes. From the 80/GSP intersection up to exit 171 it takes me 15 minutes, doing 65-70.

Depending where you are in Wayne, it might be easier to stay off highways and take streets through Haledon, Hawthorne, Glen Rock, Ridgewood, Ho-Ho-Kus, and into Woodcliff Lake. Each town should take 5-10 minutes to travel through, depending on traffic. It's just a lot of stop and go, traffic lights, low speed, some school buses probably, but it might be much more consistent than 80.

Hope some of that helps!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks Johnny! You're post helps a lot! I'll be staying in Wayne for my Temp housing until I can find something for a year or so. Sounds like you know your way around Bergen Co. Any other places I should be looking where the commute won't kill me? I don't want to travel more than a hour or any given day.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 AM

5,308 posts, read 9,139,600 times
you can also go the back way. Cut up thru Franklin Lakes over thru the small towns but if your in the section of Wayne near Breakneck road or Northern Hamburg Turnpike you can go thru the towns. Its pretty easy. Either way its a good commute.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Johnny! You're post helps a lot! I'll be staying in Wayne for my Temp housing until I can find something for a year or so. Sounds like you know your way around Bergen Co. Any other places I should be looking where the commute won't kill me? I don't want to travel more than a hour or any given day.
If you mean a place to live after your temp. housing, try Ringwood (probably most affordable), Hillsdale, Westwood, Paramus, Emerson, Mahwah, Ramsey, Oakland as affordable options. Also, try Rockand County, NY, but I'd avoid Monsey and Spring Valley if you look there. Suffern would be OK, also Pearl River, Nanuet, Chestnut Ridge, and if you want something that will be more like Maine (not LIKE Maine, but MORE like Maine, lol) try Sloatsburg or even Tuxedo. With full rush hour traffic, all of those places should be easily within an hour commute to WL, and with less or no traffic they're all within 30 to 40 minutes of WL.

I'd say your best choices, keeping affordability in mind, will be Westwood, Hillsdale, Paramus, Wash. Twp., Ramsey, Mahwah. The Rockand County NY best would be Pearl River, Nanuet, Suffern, Airmont, Chestnut Ridge.

If you need any more info on anything the WL area let me know. I'm guessing you're working on Chestnut Ridge Rd. or just off it, and I live 5 minutes from that area. I'm happy to help any way I can; good luck!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Thanks Johnny. You're right, I'll be working on Chestnut Ridge Road. I have looked in all of the areas you mention in NJ, and they are all nice. There is one place that sounds interesting, and it's located in Fair Lawn. Thoughts on that town? It's near the Paramus and Glen Rock boarders. I'll have to take a look see into the NY locations. How does that work with taxes? I mean living in NY but working in NJ?

I'm looking for a house to rent (I have a child and a couple of pets, so a house or townhome is the best option for me), but the up front move-in costs are expensive in NJ. The rents are easily affordable, even though I still have my mortgage payment in Maine, but to come up with 7K cash is a tough proposition. Ah if only Tax time was a little closer! LOL. My biggest challenge is the "broker fee" most insist upon. Wowser! When I'm looking in the 2000-2200 range for rent and security deposit, it hurts to have to come up with another months rent for brokers. But it seems the norm so I'll find a way.

So with all that said, your affordability tips are VERY appreciated. With the NY places you metioned, would I need to cross a bridge or pay a toll?

Thanks again!

Old 12-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks Johnny. You're right, I'll be working on Chestnut Ridge Road. I have looked in all of the areas you mention in NJ, and they are all nice. There is one place that sounds interesting, and it's located in Fair Lawn. Thoughts on that town? It's near the Paramus and Glen Rock boarders. I'll have to take a look see into the NY locations. How does that work with taxes? I mean living in NY but working in NJ?
To me, Fair Lawn is the ultimate "little bit of everything" or "right in the middle of everything" town. It is mostly suburban with a little bit of an urban area. It is conveniently located near Paramus, Paterson, and major roads and highways like 4, 17, and the Parkway. Oh, and 208.

It's not as high-falutin' as other parts of Bergen County, it's very middle-middle class - a good bunch of blue collar as well as white collar types. Homes range from modest and inexpensive to large and expensive, but most are middle-of-the-road. From what I hear taxes are some of the most reasonable but the school system is one of the best. There are plenty of parks in and near the town, plenty to do everywhere. NYC (well, the GW Bridge) is only 15 minutes (no traffic) away on Rt 4. Hackensack and Paterson are nearby, and they are small cities. Plenty of parks, rec areas throughout Bergen County. Paramus is right next door, and Wayne is about 15 minutes away for more great shopping. Jersey City/Hoboken/Secaucus/E. Rutherford are all 10 to 20 minutes down Rt 17. You can easily hop on the parkway south.

The biggest drawback is that traffic can get a bit snarled there, but mostly that's busy rush hours or holiday shopping times (like right now). Otherwise it's OK. Also, for you, coming from Maine, Fair Lawn will feel more cramped and crowded compared to where you're from. Any town will, but Fair Lawn a bit more. But that's NJ in general, you will just have to get used to it no matter where you are if you stay within 1 hour commute to WL.

Quote:
I'm looking for a house to rent (I have a child and a couple of pets, so a house or townhome is the best option for me), but the up front move-in costs are expensive in NJ. The rents are easily affordable, even though I still have my mortgage payment in Maine, but to come up with 7K cash is a tough proposition. Ah if only Tax time was a little closer! LOL. My biggest challenge is the "broker fee" most insist upon. Wowser! When I'm looking in the 2000-2200 range for rent and security deposit, it hurts to have to come up with another months rent for brokers. But it seems the norm so I'll find a way.
I hear you on that, but I unfortunately am no real estate expert, so I have no good advice to give on that. I understand how difficult it can be to come up with lump sums like the ones you're facing. NJ is slightly more expensive than most states, in general, so be prepared for that. We do have good low gas prices and good shopping/grocery options, however, as well as other benefits. When you move here, you will be able to drive about 30 miles in either direction and find complete opposites; one direction you'll be in midtown Manhattan within 30 miles, another direction you'll find yourself in a secluded state park where you can hike deep into the woods and be in complete isolation. Then there's every variance in between. So the higher costs do give you something for your money if not more space or land or house.

Quote:
So with all that said, your affordability tips are VERY appreciated. With the NY places you metioned, would I need to cross a bridge or pay a toll?

Thanks again!
Good, I'm glad they helped. The NY places I mentioned are all in Rockland County which is NY state, and connected by land to NJ, so there are no bridges or tunnels involved. You would likely not even realize if you drove from Woodcliff Lake, through Montvale and into Chestnut Ridge, NY that you have even entered into NY, unless you notice a small sign. So the only tolls that may come into play are those for toll roads like the Parkway or Thruway, but from the towns I mentioned you wouldn't even need toll roads, you'd take smaller highways or regular streets. That goes for every one of the NY places I mentioned.

I figured you were on Chestnut Ridge, that's about all there is for corp's in WL. I have done work at BMW there more than once as a contractor, but that was years ago. If that's where you're going (you don't have to say, I'm not trying to intrude) it's a very nice building and a good company. There are other major corporations there, too, so wherever you're going it's a nice area and I think you'll find it to be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey