Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 PM

835 posts, read 1,179,805 times

Advertisements

3. Florida HAHHA

Old 12-18-2009, 07:03 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Hey, I was on the same side as you in that other thread ( To anyone that has left Jersey...)

I'm not "ignoring" some of the disadvantages of living in NJ (in fact I'm planning to leave).
Well.....I'm glad to hear that....you just went up two whole notches on my Respect-O-Meter !!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
If you don't adjust the results for the fact that most Lousiana residents are dumb as mud, it changes the outcome.

How high does your IQ have to be to be happy ? Because their education level is less than yours does that mean they can't find happiness with their family, children, lifestyle and surroundings as much or more than you ? Besides, isn't it true that those with very high IQs often border on insanity or mental instability in some form ? Sorry....but you just lost those two notches on my Respect-O-Meter with that statement.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Why is it that when a study shows a "Best Place to Live" in NJ, everyone jumps up and down applauding the study, but when a study puts NJ at the bottom of a ranking, there must be inherent flaws in the data or the conclusions???

I'm not sure how they even saw the study with their heads stuck in the sand so deeply.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Take a look at the study methodology. The way they end up with the NE on the bottom is by "controlling" for education levels. Louisiana would not be #1 if they didn't do this.

Quote:

Rather, Oswald and Stephen Wu, an economist at Hamilton College in New York, statistically created a representative American. That way they could take, for example, a 38-year-old woman with a high-school diploma and making medium-wage who is living anywhere and transplant her to another state and get a rough estimate of her happiness level.

Plenty of problems with this. The obvious one is that the statistically representative American is not a "statistically representative" NY/NJ/C resident.

So...what your saying is that those down south are too "dumb" to realize they aren't happy....they are not educationally competent enough to realize they are actually unhappy...they're confused and just think they are happy because they don'y know any better ????

Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
3. Florida HAHHA

You can laugh all you wish but it doesn't change the facts ?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:09 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
So...what your saying is that those down south are too "dumb" to realize they aren't happy....they are not educationally competent enough to realize they are actually unhappy...they're confused and just think they are happy because they don'y know any better ????
No. I'm not saying that at all (did you read the article ??? Read the article ! RTA ! RTFA !!!!! ).

In studies where you just use self-reported happiness as the measure, NJ comes out on top.

So if your gold standard is to just ask people "are you happy" and take the average person's answer at face value, then the north east is at the top, not the bottom.

What they did is "corrected" for differences in education and other variables by using some kind of "matching". But to do this, they might need to (for example) need to "count" each high school graduate in NJ as if they were two people.

By doing this, they disproportionately weight the bottom of the socioeconomic heap in NJ and the top of the same in Southern States.

I'm NOT arguing that self-reporting is unreliable (one could make a good argument on those lines, but that's not my argument here).

Quote:
I'm not sure how they even saw the study with their heads stuck in the sand so deeply.
How ironic ...

Last edited by elflord1973; 12-18-2009 at 08:17 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
What they did is "corrected" for differences in education and other variables by using some kind of "matching" -- e.g. they compared how happy someone with a high school diploma is in NJ to how happy someone with a high school diploma is in Lousiana.
I believe the scientific term for that is called "fudge factoring" ?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Oh dear! Here's another list from last month!

The Well-Being of 50 U.S. States | LiveScience

Whichever shall I believe?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Oh dear! Here's another list from last month!

The Well-Being of 50 U.S. States | LiveScience

Whichever shall I believe?

I saw a list where New Jersey came in 53rd.....it was lower than two other states that hadn't even been formed yet !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: