Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 166,435 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a new job in NY City and we are looking for a good area for our two boys (14 & 16). So far we liked the Woodbridge area. Help!:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa61 View Post
My husband just got a new job in NY City and we are looking for a good area for our two boys (14 & 16). So far we liked the Woodbridge area. Help!:
it depends where in woodbridge you are looking and where in manhattan you are going, at best figure on 30 minutes on the train plus whatever it takes to get to and from the train

Old 05-20-2007, 02:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I live in the Iselin section of Woodbridge, and head into NYC several times a month for work. Alot depends on where in NYC you need to get, but in general, getting there by train is faster than by car (unless you go in at 5 am, and get out by 2pm).

Where will your husband be working in NYC? Are you considering the train, or driving?

I know of a few great houses for sale in town as well, if you're interested.

Bob

Old 05-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I live in the Iselin section of Woodbridge, and head into NYC several times a month for work. Alot depends on where in NYC you need to get, but in general, getting there by train is faster than by car (unless you go in at 5 am, and get out by 2pm).

Where will your husband be working in NYC? Are you considering the train, or driving?

Bob
He is going to be stationed in #1 Penn Station. Nerby Macy's. He works for the Department of Homeland security. Any help will be gratelly appriciated.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Bob
He will be working in Penn Station. Right next to Macy's. I think we are thinking about using the train because of the high gasoline prices but it will really depends on how hard that is on him.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa61 View Post
He is going to be stationed in #1 Penn Station. Nerby Macy's. He works for the Department of Homeland security. Any help will be gratelly appriciated.
the he should commute via train because where he works is right on top of the train station. Now you need to find a home near one of the train stations in woodbridge

Old 05-20-2007, 03:59 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
As Kort said, 1 Penn Plaza is directly above Penn Station. Now you just have to figure out which station to be near. Of the three stations in Woodbridge Township- Metropark in Iselin, Woodbridge, and Avenel, I'd definitely avoid Avenel. Many of the trains don't stop in Avenel, there's no parking at the station, plus the area around the station has gotten very crappy in the last few years. I grew up three blocks from that station, and my mother finally sold her house last year after being there for 40 years. Good riddance.

That leaves Woodbridge and Metropark. If you're considering the Woodbridge Station, make sure you live within walking distance of the station, as there's limited parking there, and it often fills up by 7am or earlier. The parking is free (while Metropark is $65/month), but free all it's worth if you can't find a parking spot. The homes within walking distance of the station tend to come in two categories- pretty crummy (behind the Street/Rahway Ave shopping areas), and pretty nice (heading up Green Street toward Route 35. You're likely going to pay $375k or more for a 3 BR home in that area, with some homes breaking the $500k mark.

With Metropark, you can park in the huge parking deck, which never fills up, for $5/day or $65/month. The round trip to NY Penn Station will go up to $16/day on June 1st, or $220 if you buy a monthly pass (obviously worth it if you go in every day). Depending on how you define "walking distance", there's mainly condos and apartments near the trainstation. There are some single family homes, with most being in the $300-350k price range. There's tons available in that price range if you want to take a short drive to the station.

One note on Iselin- it has become a shopping mecca (no pun intended) for the Indian community, and many of them live in the area. On the weekend, the main road through town is packed with shoppers, and many of them have moved into the area. For some people this is an issue, so I thought you might want to know.

Bob

Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM

8 posts, read 79,086 times
Default Commute times

I know you asked about Woodbridge, but the Rahway station nearby is nice because two train lines intersect there, giving you more train options -- the line that goes to South Amboy and the line that goes to Trenton. The commute times I am quoting will be pretty close to the Woodbridge times.

The 7:33 arrives in NYC at 8:25-8:30, even though the schedule says 8:20, so count on 55 minutes to arrive. Woodbridge is farther south so think about an hour at the peak morning travel time. If you leave earlier, like get a 7:00, it'll be shorter, getting down to 45 minutes at best. There will be a lot of seats available in most cases, so you don't have to worry about that.

Out of Penn, the 5:28 South Amboy and the 5:37 Trenton get you to Rahway at about the same time, because the Trenton one has less stops. This is around 6:13, I think, so count on 50 minutes to come home to Woodbridge.

Bear in mind that with NJ Transit, Amtrak actually owns the stretch of track between Secaucus and the Lincoln Tunnel, so if there's an Amtrak train coming, your train stops and lets it go by first. In worst case scenarios, this could mean sitting on a non-moving train for 10 minutes, which will lengthen your trip in the morning.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:39 AM

Thank you for all your answers and info. Your tips were very helpful.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Bob
About the info on houses for sale in Iselin. We are planing to visit the area by the end of June and I am still interested Mr Kovacs, if that is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey