Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,451 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with Newark NJ. I was wondering how the area around James Street is? I was considering applying for a position located there and I was wondering if it is a safe area. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM

835 posts, read 1,174,787 times
Its safe, only problem is there are a few college bars that just opened up which bring along the idiot drunk college kids at night that like to fight out on the street sort of like college ave in New Brunswick. Considering its during the day you should be more than fine

Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,870,958 times
As one of the idiot college kids from the area, it's NOTHING like College Ave in New Brunswick. It's pretty safe though, I'd probably get a car with an alarm system and be careful after dark though. It's still kinda sketchy at times. It's definitely one of my favorite streets in Newark and it's on the upswing.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM

835 posts, read 1,174,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
As one of the idiot college kids from the area, it's NOTHING like College Ave in New Brunswick. It's pretty safe though, I'd probably get a car with an alarm system and be careful after dark though. It's still kinda sketchy at times. It's definitely one of my favorite streets in Newark and it's on the upswing.
Is that so? Nick's Bar Has Soul | Glocally Newark (http://glocallynewark.com/2009/12/nicks-has-soul-scenes-from-the-wednesday-night-soulcial/ - broken link)

"spilling out into the street with tons of people fighting and causing trouble"

"I have been over at Killkennys and watched at least two fights spill out of there. "

"I have witnessed campus police across the street at Kilkennys for college night on several occassions"

Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,039,426 times
It's not bad. And Kilkenny's isn't on James St BTW

Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,870,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
Is that so? Nick's Bar Has Soul | Glocally Newark (http://glocallynewark.com/2009/12/nicks-has-soul-scenes-from-the-wednesday-night-soulcial/ - broken link)

"spilling out into the street with tons of people fighting and causing trouble"

"I have been over at Killkennys and watched at least two fights spill out of there. "

"I have witnessed campus police across the street at Kilkennys for college night on several occassions"
First of all, Nick's isn't on James Street, It's over on Central on the other side of Halsey. Second, all of that is from one poster, not several (which is the way your post makes it seem). College Ave is much more lively than this area. There are more bars, college students, and college students that go out. Personally, I RARELY get alerts from the campus police about this. The most common alerts we get are for attempted muggings, muggings, and theft.

More importantly, this site is praising that bar. Anyway, don't let these people scare you it's a nice area. The only other problem (apart from it being in Newark which at many times is a pretty sketchy place) is that there is a wait list for most of the apartments. Also, like I said before, be careful after dark, don't travel to far on foot by yourself after dark, and ALWAYS lock all your doors and windows. Also, an alarm system probably would be a good investment

Other than that it's a nice neighborhood with beautiful old brownstones and is walking distance from Newark's Broad Street Station as well as the Washington Street Light Rail Station, Washington Park Light Rail Station, and the Warren Street Light Rail Station. You can take the light rail (or take a nice long walk) to Newark's Pennsylvania Station where you can take the Path, NJ Transit, or Amtrack. It is also near the Go Bus. The Newark Museum is located in nearby Washington Park. Washington Park also hosts several events over the summer, such as farmers market and I think a block party.

There are also several cafes (Intrinsic, Woodrows, and Newark Art Supply's Art Cafe come to mind), bars (as already mentioned), Diners (Tops in East Newark), and many delicious Portuguese restaurants in the Iron Bound (located on the other side of Penn Station). You can also walk to Branch Brook Park and to many different churches such as the Basilica Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (a hidden gem in Newark)

Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM

576 posts, read 1,592,073 times
The area is by no means perfect, but defenitly isnt that dangerous, mostly muggings. James St itelf is a real hidden gem in Newark, the architecture is really somethin on that block. I acctually looked at an apartment on that block but its real hard to get since alot of students get to them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey