Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM

160 posts, read 498,904 times

Advertisements

Camden, Trenton, and Newark have potential to be some of the greatest cities in the country. They are located on major water ways, across from major cities, and offer urbanity in a state that is plauged with suburban sprawl.

Yet they sit decaying and while a lot of the wealthy people live in semi-rural exurban areas in Central Jersey.

How would NJ be different if it was flipped, and a lot of the poor people lived in the exurban areas while wealthy people lived in the cities?

Last edited by Guardian of The Gulf; 01-01-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
Camden, Trenton, and Newark have potential to be some of the greatest cities in the country. They are located on major water ways, across from major cities, and offer urbanity in a state that is plauged with suburban sprawl.

Yet they sit decaying and while a lot of the wealthy people live in semi-rural exurban areas in Central Jersey.

How would NJ be different if it was flipped, and a lot of the poor people lived in the exurban areas while wealthy people lived in the cities?
Years ago cities were places where the wealthy lived and they were great cities. Lots of working class poor lived in these cities. They worked for the wealthy business owners in factories, as domestics and many low paying jobs. The wealthy paid the taxes and supported the schools that the poor kids attended. Life was good for the rich and tolerable for the poor.
Then the rich folks closed their factories and sent their work down South and then on to the Far East. The working poor lost their jobs and turned to welfare. The wealthy moved out to the country and left the poor to live off the rest of the taxpayers. Now only the wealthy drug dealers live in the cities and do business with the kids of the wealthy who live in the suburbs.

Poor people can't afford to live in the country because there is no agricultural work anymore because they have paved over the farms to build parking lots.

So how can this be changed? Very simple bring those working class jobs back to the USA and let those people in China figure something out.

Please I don't want to hear it's a global economy. Most of us lived a lot better here in the US before people decided to send all our jobs overseas.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:29 PM

152 posts, read 351,617 times
I agree we need to return manufacturing jobs back to the US. Go into any shop and almost everything is made overseas, especially China. The problem, though, is that Americans want both high wages AND low priced merchandise. You can't have both. America needs a grass roots tea-party type movement where people agree to only buy American and are willing to pay more for it. They also need to demand that companies start producing stuff made in the USA. Right now, good luck finding any consumer electronics mede here, so any such movement would be limited to begin with, and would take years to gain momentum.

However, even if the above did happen, and companies did move their manufacturing facilities back to the USA, they sure wouldn't start producing their wares in NJ. They would go to non-union, lower wage places in the south and midwest.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:12 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post

It would be more like New York City. The rich people live in Manhattan, most of the poor people live in the Bronx and some live in the less desirable parts of Brooklyn.

It's news to me that the USA doesn't have any manufacturing or agriculture. Last I heard, Toyota are still building cars in the South. What's not sustainable is those UAW deals popular among bankrupt automakers that include a golden parachute for each employee.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
It would be more like New York City. The rich people live in Manhattan, most of the poor people live in the Bronx and some live in the less desirable parts of Brooklyn.

It's news to me that the USA doesn't have any manufacturing or agriculture. Last I heard, Toyota are still building cars in the South. What's not sustainable is those UAW deals popular among bankrupt automakers that include a golden parachute for each employee.
I believe the question was about NJ cities and as far as I know nobody is building autos in NJ. As a matter of fact many of the GM and Ford parts are built out of this country.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Y.

Poor people can't afford to live in the country because there is no agricultural work anymore because they have paved over the farms to build parking lots.
I'll add in that poor people generally can't afford to own cars and New Jersey is pitiful in terms of public transport that isn't NY or Philly-centric.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Quote:
Years ago cities were places where the wealthy lived and they were great cities. Lots of working class poor lived in these cities. They worked for the wealthy business owners in factories, as domestics and many low paying jobs. The wealthy paid the taxes and supported the schools that the poor kids attended. Life was good for the rich and tolerable for the poor.
Then the rich folks closed their factories and sent their work down South and then on to the Far East. The working poor lost their jobs and turned to welfare. The wealthy moved out to the country and left the poor to live off the rest of the taxpayers. Now only the wealthy drug dealers live in the cities and do business with the kids of the wealthy who live in the suburbs.

So how can this be changed? Very simple bring those working class jobs back to the USA and let those people in China figure something out.

Please I don't want to hear it's a global economy. Most of us lived a lot better here in the US before people decided to send all our jobs overseas.

Great way to describe it PDD. Sending jobs overseas was the worst thing we could have done, but thats what happens when things get cut throat and everyone cares about only their own profit and savings and not a utilitarian approach.

One particular example I personally know of, is how American Greetings, yes AMERICAN Greetings ditched having their products made in the US in order to save a few pennies by having it made overseas.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I'll add in that poor people generally can't afford to own cars and New Jersey is pitiful in terms of public transport that isn't NY or Philly-centric.
my wife used to teach welfare to work, and these guys do have cars. The fact that they can afford them is perhaps another globalism success story

Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I believe the question was about NJ cities and as far as I know nobody is building autos in NJ. As a matter of fact many of the GM and Ford parts are built out of this country.
If you're now stating that international trade balance has nothing to do with it, I agree with you.

The fact is that international trade balance has very little to do with it -- there is plenty of agriculture and manufacturing in the US. If there is less of this in NJ, it has to do with either comparative advantages (e.g. we're too smart to waste our time digging ditches) or the state being a toxic environment for business compared to other states that manufacture.

Perhaps you should worry about jobs being "sent" down south.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Pitiful, compared to what other suburban area???

NJ is probably the one state with the BEST public transportation, out of all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey