Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 6,706 times

Advertisements

Hi guys im new to this forum..

My parents and I, lived in crown heights brooklyn for 15 years after migrating from st.lucia(caribbean)..We left a few years ago to live in new zealand..Its not working out..its not what we expected..unfortunatly the nature is beautiful and the people are lovely..thats about it...no life to it what so ever..

My parents would like to first rent for a few years somewhere in new jersey then own a home once they get to see first hand the different locations and get an overall feel for new jersey

So my question to this lovely forum is...my parents and little sister would like to find an area in new jersey with decent schools,not to far to get to manhattan for shopping and friends,a nice multicultural environment, with median house rent (2 bedroom apartment),they do not drive, so the place needs to have great public transportation and decent shopping area's...a place with a feel like parkslope or the east village..really chill

It seems people seem to like seacacus,weehawken,hoboken...other areas like newark,east orange tend to have some negativity..

I welcome all the help i can get..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 04:31 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
What's your budget? Are schools an issue? Hoboken is expensive...

Old 01-02-2010, 04:54 AM

Hmm it would have to be reasonable $1000 for rent..yes decent schools for my sister is an issue..its seems englewood looks eye catching..how is public transportation to and from new york city like in this area?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Let me put it this way. If you found a 2BR rental for $200 in Hoboken, you would probably shake your head and start asking some serious questions. These will be some of the same questions you should ask if you find a 2BR apartment anywhere within 40 minutes of Manhattan for $1,000.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackyodeler View Post
Hmm it would have to be reasonable $1000 for rent..yes decent schools for my sister is an issue..its seems englewood looks eye catching..how is public transportation to and from new york city like in this area?
In 4 years Hudson-Bergen Line will extend up to Englewood form the NJ Gold Coast. Otherwise its just bus lines to NYC , which during Rush hour can be terrible. Have you looked into Union City or Weehawken? Parts of Newark aren't bad. neither is Jersey City.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Gosh times must have changed in just a few years . We were living in a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath in Hawthorne for $1100. It was not the best place in the world but it was totally fine. This being said I would say it was a rare find and $1000 is not going to find a nice 2 br.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,845 times
Unfortunately you have a few contradictions in your post... if you want public transportation, you're generally in an urban area, the urban areas of NJ aren't the greatest of school systems... if you want a great school system, you aren't going to get a 2 bedroom for $1,000... you're probably going to be closer to $1,500 to $1,800 depending if you want laundry in the unit.

There are a lot of towns in Bergen county with mass transit into NYC but no real convenient public transportation to get around Bergen county with. You can also look at places like Montville which are a bit more walkable and still have mass transit into NYC. They'll all give you solid schools but won't be within your budget.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM

53 posts, read 143,277 times
I'd have to second Bergen County, but you'll pay for the safety. From what I know of the area. I'm one of the few people you'll meet who would completely understand why you would want to leave New Zealand for New Jersey! And if you can afford it down there in Godzone, and are leaving for no other reason than boredom, you CERTAINLY will be able to afford Bergen County!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 85,177 times
You won't get far with $1000 (equivalent of about $250k house), but try looking around in Hoboken (a bit too expensive) or Jersey City (Newport area). Both have excellent less-than-10 minute commuting times. If you want to look a bit further out, try Bayonne or even Staten Island. You could even try moving to the city and finding a studio in Battery Park or the Village.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 AM

hi guys thanks for the lovely posts..

okay cool i surmised that we have to pay alittle more on rent to live in these areas..especially englewood..thats okay..

but the most important thing is transportation..my mother doesnt drive..wellllllll..shes not allowed to again after too many accidents..so i just want to make sure englewood has great public transportation..like living in brooklyn..where you dont need a car to survive..thats my top priority..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey