Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Why not?
I was wondering the same thing. How does someone make a statement like this and not back it up with at least one iota of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
The town of Sussex is kind of dumpy.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Mod cut Sussex is a cute little town. Newton is also great. I'm not religious but when I go to Newton I get the urge to attend church. So many nice cathedralettes in that village.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-05-2010 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Language and NO signatures.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Default Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. How does someone make a statement like this and not back it up with at least one iota of information.
For years the township of Sussex has always had a bad rep. I think because there are many locals that live there, lower income families, those on disability, many that don't work..... to me, its just a small town with a few stores, Sussex Inn, a church, laundermat. I have family there thats lived there at least 60 yrs, same house on the hill, teacher at the middle school, quiet street, its just a small town that has always gotten a bad rap. Its not that bad, its no worst than other towns, you could compare it to Franklin which is not better or worst, or Hamburg. I mean no disrepect to anyone that lives in those towns either, just a comparision.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The town of Sussex is kind of dumpy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Mod cut Sussex is a cute little town. Newton is also great. I'm not religious but when I go to Newton I get the urge to attend church. So many nice cathedralettes in that village.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
For years the township of Sussex has always had a bad rep. I think because there are many locals that live there, lower income families, those on disability, many that don't work..... to me, its just a small town with a few stores, Sussex Inn, a church, laundermat. I have family there thats lived there at least 60 yrs, same house on the hill, teacher at the middle school, quiet street, its just a small town that has always gotten a bad rap. Its not that bad, its no worst than other towns, you could compare it to Franklin which is not better or worst, or Hamburg. I mean no disrepect to anyone that lives in those towns either, just a comparision.
Aha, so you're speaking of the Town of Sussex, not the entire County. I assumed you meant the County, since the OP was asking about the Counties. I've never been to the Town of Sussex or if I was I don't remember it, sounds a lot like Oxford though which is not a bad place, just gets a bad wrap.

That being said, there are many less backwoods areas of Sussex County that wouldn't have that local yokel feel if that isn't desired.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default stay away?

Perhaps the suggestion to not move to Sussex was based on a desire to maintain the rural atmosphere as long a possible.

Too often folks move in and complain of hunters shots, farm smells, etc. Those counties get a get of hunting pressure. Plenty of black bears to feed outside your backdoor if you like that kind of stuff. Check the NJ div of fish and game for maps of all the state forest and wildlife management areas by county where hunting is allowed. Then make your choice. If you consider proximity to those areas an asset you have found heaven.

Many would be better off in more settled areas. Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren have seen an awful lot of development. NJ needs to revitalize its cities, attrach more corporations and do its part to halt to loss of woods, fields and meadows.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Perhaps the suggestion to not move to Sussex was based on a desire to maintain the rural atmosphere as long a possible.

Too often folks move in and complain of hunters shots, farm smells, etc. Those counties get a get of hunting pressure. Plenty of black bears to feed outside your backdoor if you like that kind of stuff. Check the NJ div of fish and game for maps of all the state forest and wildlife management areas by county where hunting is allowed. Then make your choice. If you consider proximity to those areas an asset you have found heaven.

Many would be better off in more settled areas. Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren have seen an awful lot of development. NJ needs to revitalize its cities, attrach more corporations and do its part to halt to loss of woods, fields and meadows.

I so agree Kracer

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Agree with this too, and not nice development, keeping with the rural atmosphere of small towns, just empty fields with McMansions plopped all over them.

A little planning goes a long way.......

Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 AM

272 posts, read 295,624 times
I live in Wantage in Sussex County. All of Sussex County is nice. Newton and Sussex are more like small towns. Sussex Main Street has been revitalized and there is more than the Sussex Inn and laundromat now , art galleries, antique store, drug store, coffee shop have moved in. Small one block long Main Street. $180,000 most likely nice condo or small house taxes less than $6000 in that price range. Some towns more expensive then others such as Sparta probably the most expensive problem difficult to find for that price. I lived in Vernon and Wantage both have good schools. The biggest problem with living in Sussex county will be to find work without having to commute or the commute.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM

220 posts, read 623,721 times
NJ.com: School report card

You can use this site to check out schools....

It's a good thing to check out counties websites. Of course they will only sell you the GOOD of what the area has to offer BUT...still a wealth of information. County of Warren, NJ - Home, Hunterdon County, New Jersey - The Official Home Page, Sussex County - Home Page

Good luck & have fun searchiong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey