U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-22-2007, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 37,817 times
Default How does one commute from Teaneck to Manhattan

I am planning to move to the Bergen County/Teaneck area and will be working in Midtown. How does one commute into Manhattan from Teaneck? Is there a train, subway, bus...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-22-2007, 02:59 PM

1,346 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbay100 View Post
I am planning to move to the Bergen County/Teaneck area and will be working in Midtown. How does one commute into Manhattan from Teaneck? Is there a train, subway, bus...?
try www.njtransit.com follow the prompts

Last edited by kort677; 05-22-2007 at 04:28 PM..

Unread 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM

359 posts, read 1,789,014 times
Millions of Bus's that usually stop running at 2 o clock am. The 167 is the one most people take though. You could always take the dollar bus's from route 4. I think those stop at 11 but cost only 2 dollars to go to the GWB terminal. If you want to get to midtown take the 168 or 167 which you can catch all over the place. The 168 is a less direct route though i think i havnt taken it in a while. The 167 will get your there in 15 min. Question..why do you want to move to Teaneck?

Unread 05-22-2007, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 37,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Millions of Bus's that usually stop running at 2 o clock am. The 167 is the one most people take though. You could always take the dollar bus's from route 4. I think those stop at 11 but cost only 2 dollars to go to the GWB terminal. If you want to get to midtown take the 168 or 167 which you can catch all over the place. The 168 is a less direct route though i think i havnt taken it in a while. The 167 will get your there in 15 min. Question..why do you want to move to Teaneck?
Thanks for the info.
Why Teaneck? - Its one of a number of options I am considering, but (i) close to Manhattan, (ii) nice houses, not as expensive as Westchester, (iii) suburban with good schools. Downside: I prefer trains to buses.
You disagree? I detect a note of derision?

Unread 05-22-2007, 04:30 PM

1,346 posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Why Teaneck? - Its one of a number of options I am considering, but (i) close to Manhattan, (ii) nice houses, not as expensive as Westchester, (iii) suburban with good schools. Downside: I prefer trains to buses.
parts of teaneck are quite run down

Unread 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM

359 posts, read 1,789,014 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I agree. Parts of Teaneck can be very run down and the schools are horrible. Just a question. Are you white or black? Im not trying to be racist but in a town like Teaneck its very important to know because there is alot of racial tension. And if your white chances are sending your kid to a public school will make him or her a target. The school is 73 percent black and 15 spanish the rest is a mix. Also if you do decide to send your kid to private school you still need to know the neighborhood you move into before moving. Teaneck is basically seperated into 6 different areas. Theres NorthEast,NorthWest(West Englewood), West, East, South and Central. NorthEast is a no go if you can afford anything else. Its almost 100% african american and the drug problem is through the roof. Most of the kids going to the school come from this neighborhood. It has very run down blocks and you will certainly hear about or see something bad go down there every night. There is also bars and liquor stores on every block and corner and you know what happens outside those. NorthWest is only over the train tracks but is completley different. ITs very expensive and very very jewish. This is where alot of the tension comes in because blacks and whites(mostly jews) seclude themselves from eachother but they still live only a overpass walk away. Central Teaneck is pretty mixed though. Mostly middle class but has some seedy areas closer to NorthEast neighborhood. The highschool is in this neighborhood. Also in this neighborhood is the juvenile detention center which is also a school for kids who get kicked out of the public high school. Trouble circulates around both schools. Some blocks in this neighborhood are great. Others are heavily packed with drug dealers (mostly because of the schools). West Teaneck has a buisness district like North East teaneck does but it is still very underdeveloped outside the downtown area. Mostly Black and strangley German. There are also a good amount of Jews in this neighborhood to. Just middle class ones. ITs a strange balance of empty lots, two family houses and apartments. East Teaneck is more suburban. ITs mostly middle class blacks that live in this neighborhood. South Teaneck you have to be careful. Its a mostly hispanic and indian neighborhood with sprinkles of blacks. Very mixed economy. Some blocks are suburban others are very urban and run down. The Glenpoint subsection of this neighborhood is very underdeveloped and the one block running through it (Glenwood Ave) is always under cop patrol because of the huge drug problem. Ive stepped on crack viles walking through this neighborhood. I grew up in Teaneck went to school there. Experienced what its like. It can be nice if you live in West Englewood. But if you dont it can be bad. And truthfully its always getting worse. The schools were the first to volunterilly intergrate. Ironically it is now the most segregated school district in north jersey.

Last edited by CrazyJerzyKidUNO; 05-22-2007 at 05:35 PM..

Unread 05-26-2007, 06:45 PM

64 posts, read 193,803 times
Try Hackensack they have trains to midtown

Unread 07-22-2007, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 62,151 times
teaneck is literally a 6 min drive from the gwb...you can take a 2 dollar bus from route 4 that brings you to fort washington or the 167 that brings you through the tunnel. Teaneck is one of the best places to live if you work in the city and want to raise a family in a good town. If you looked it up you'd see its considered a township of upper manhattan

Unread 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 62,151 times
db day you're full of **** englewood is the most segragated school district and i live in teaneck and have my whole life their is no major drug problem in teaneck. my father is a police officer the school system is not bad it isnt the best but it graduates ivy league students every year. stop writing stupid **** you make the entire town look bad. "crack vials" are you kidding me in teaneck one of the nicest places to live in america. You are a loser disregard anything that idiot said people

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,606 times
DBay1-- I am so sad that you posted what you did about Teaneck, but more that you think the way you do about Teaneck. Why don't you explore your hidden bias a bit and examine what you are talking about, in code. The Northeast is "bad" because...well, it's African American. The whole town is mixed and we are proud of our commitment to social justice and inter-racial living. My son graduated from Teaneck High School and it offers excellent programs. The town has wonderful activities and life. Why would you post such a thing? I'm a well educated and culturally aware person, been living in Teaneck since 1984 and my daughter just purchased a home here. It's way cool and you need to revisit your views of the town. Maybe it is more reflective of your group rather than of the town as a whole! Come to Teaneck! It's great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey