Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times

Advertisements

How does that work?

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/hmfa/consu/buyers/ownprg/firsttime.html (broken link)

Has anyone taken advantage of this? 5.625% almost sounds too good to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:05 PM

84 posts, read 379,237 times
Be careful, these aren't as good as they seem. Although they do work for some people you've really gotta fit the bill. I investigated a similar one and ran into the following problems.
-if the gov backs it they inspect it and do alot of nit picking. Seems good for you except when a seller finds out all the hassels they'll have to through they don't want to sell to you.

-The one i looked into, no selling or refinancing for 10yrs or the US treasury gets a portion of the profits.

there were a few other controls that left me with a bad taste for it, but again for some people, it couldn't work out better.

Best of luck

Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 PM

22 posts, read 121,559 times
I second that, be careful. Many low interest rate mortgages are interest only or have terms that don't benefit you.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:18 PM

84 posts, read 379,237 times
Again it depends on the person and their perspective. Interest only loans do benefit IF you go at it with the right mind set. Your monthly payment is very low, so you have freedom at times of low income, but say you have some extra scratch. By sending checks to the principle you'll, in time, lower your payment. It works similar to a car loan.

Ultimately there are alot of programs out there, gotta find the one that fits you

Old 05-23-2007, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 59,383 times
Default It's a mortgage from NJHMFA

Hi
I've worked in the non-profit end of the mortgage business for years. What you're describing is the NJ Home Mortgage Finance Agency's First Time Homebuyer mortgage. It is a low fixed rate, zero point mortgage. This loan isn't available to everyone, everywhere. It is for people making below 80% of median income and/or buying in targeted municipalities. Here's the link for the limitations http://www.state.nj.us/dca/hmfa/consu/buyers/ownprg/limits.html (broken link) The product is reputable and provided by a state agency. It used to sometimes run out of funding which could cause headaches when you went to close, but I haven't heard any complaints lately.

There are a lot of specialty products for people buying in targeted areas and/or those making below median income. Nearly every bank has a portfolio or CRA loan similar to the HMFA loan. You can go to a HUD approved housing counseling agency for help http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/h...searchstate=NJ
If you go it on your own ask questions about rate, term, points and apr. Ask for a mortgage using terms like CRA, portfolio, community development or first-time buyer. I always suggest people call at least three different lenders to compare before choosing. If you don't like the answers that you're getting then move on. There are a lot of lenders out there.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:00 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
There is a "Recapture" rule it seems. It sounds like if you sell it within the first 9 years, the Treasury gets a portion of the proceeds . Can anyone provide more info on this? If you stay in the house for over 9 years, are you clear?

http://www.unclefed.com/IRS-Forms/20.../p523ch04.html

Old 05-25-2007, 02:59 PM

11 posts, read 59,383 times
The recapture amount decreases by an annual percentage until it reaches zero in years 6-9. Anyone getting any type of mortgage needs to ask questions about the terms of the loan. Subsidized mortgages and most downpayment assistance using public money have recapture clauses.

Many people find that the rate reduction is offset by the increase in equity, but I really advise anyone who is buying a home for the first time to see a counselor. The NJHMFA program requires homebuyer education so it wouldn't hurt to start there.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 21,775 times
Default helpful info

Just a remark--I have find this list to be extremely helpful, which really needed to be said.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRsurf View Post
The recapture amount decreases by an annual percentage until it reaches zero in years 6-9. Anyone getting any type of mortgage needs to ask questions about the terms of the loan. Subsidized mortgages and most downpayment assistance using public money have recapture clauses.

Many people find that the rate reduction is offset by the increase in equity, but I really advise anyone who is buying a home for the first time to see a counselor. The NJHMFA program requires homebuyer education so it wouldn't hurt to start there.
What do you mean by the increase in equity ?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffit34 View Post
Be careful, these aren't as good as they seem. Although they do work for some people you've really gotta fit the bill. I investigated a similar one and ran into the following problems.
-if the gov backs it they inspect it and do alot of nit picking. Seems good for you except when a seller finds out all the hassels they'll have to through they don't want to sell to you.

-The one i looked into, no selling or refinancing for 10yrs or the US treasury gets a portion of the profits.

there were a few other controls that left me with a bad taste for it, but again for some people, it couldn't work out better.

Best of luck
These two concerns are not a big deal for current real estate market. First, many sellers are out there willing to sell you than holding two mortgages. Secondly, you can be guaranteed with 10 years you will NOT have too much of the profit on the house you buy, so do not worry too much of profit sharing to US government who helps you at the first place ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: