U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 AM

2,636 posts, read 4,735,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
They are usually smart, fun, urban, dress cool, are usually young, have good senses of humor, look a little weird or exotic, but in a pleasant way, are not afraid to be individuals rather than the boring fearful masses, are interesting to talk to, are often creative or artistic, are a little more "individual" than the beaten down suburbanites, things like that.
No............................... You want a reasonable facsimile of "hip" as well.
Hoboken? Yea, that's about as hip asGreenwich Village nowadays, LOL.
You are describing hand me down, second (third, or fourth) generation "hip" neighborhoods; better known as gentrified, yuppie enclaves. They are washed up & left for dead by the real taste makers. People in the edge neighborhoods make art, design & then foist it off on people from the places you are describing.
I'll take an aspiring artist from Clifton before Hoboken any day in 2010.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-11-2010 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Mod cut: not necessary
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM

6,368 posts, read 6,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
No............................... You want a reasonable facsimile of "hip" as well.
Hoboken? Yea, that's about as hip asGreenwich Village nowadays, LOL.
You are describing hand me down, second (third, or fourth) generation "hip" neighborhoods; better known as gentrified, yuppie enclaves. They are washed up & left for dead by the real taste makers. People in the edge neighborhoods make art, design & then foist it off on people from the places you are describing.
I'll take an aspiring artist from Clifton before Hoboken any day in 2010.
OK but they're still fun and hip and I like them.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:42 AM

94 posts, read 182,395 times
[quote=openheads;12389881]I've always wondered, irrespective of the OP, what makes these people asking for "hip" neighborhoods think they are "hip" themselves?

Openhead, I'm the OP and I never mentioned the word hip. I know you said irrespective but I do like to be clear. This is what I said,"

We're a creative couple in our 50s w/ a preteen son. We need to be close to NYC. We want to buy a house in the 500K range or less of course in a community that's liberal and close knit. We'd like to have a yard. Safe. Schools aren't an issue. Is there such a place?"

Just to be clear. I might have added liberal or openminded. Those are things I'm interested to have around us in general. Along w/ a mix.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 AM

5,422 posts, read 13,608,031 times
Hip is in the title!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 AM

44,162 posts, read 44,252,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Yes, Montclair is a good choice, but far from perfect (taxes will eat you alive, for one). I always tell people to consider Little Falls. I find it to be a quieter and less expensive alternative to Montclair with all the benefits of Montclair. If you are diligent, you may even find a home with a walkable distance to the train station. If you MUST have weekend train service to Manhattan, I'd say forget Montclair and consider S. Orange, Maplewood or Metuchen. When I lived in NJ Montclair trains didn't run on the weekends. Good Luck. -Eric
The Boonton/Montclair train line started offering some limited weekend service last year, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 AM

94 posts, read 182,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Hip is in the title!
Ha! You're absolutely right! Busted! Now I remember. I wanted a place that had cafes, alternative food coop sort of groceries, not places known for the Jr League/ People who are excited about the arts. I did use the word hip but can see that word is old and is over used.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,645,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Boonton/Montclair train line started offering some limited weekend service last year, if I'm not mistaken.
I know they added Sunday service last fall.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 AM

9 posts, read 8,995 times
Default Wood Ridge

Wood Ridge is a small town which is developing very quickly. It is close to Rutherford and Harsbrouck Heights which are priced on the higher side.

They are building a new NJ Transit train station at Wood Ridge called Wesmont Station. New builders like Pulte homes are building townhomes currently which are priced reasonably. The new townhomes are pretty close to the train station as well. Door to door commute to downtown NYC is 50 minutes and midtown is 60 minutes.

Let me know if you need more information.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:53 PM

8,093 posts, read 8,420,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkat View Post
Wood Ridge is a small town which is developing very quickly. It is close to Rutherford and Harsbrouck Heights which are priced on the higher side.

They are building a new NJ Transit train station at Wood Ridge called Wesmont Station. New builders like Pulte homes are building townhomes currently which are priced reasonably. The new townhomes are pretty close to the train station as well. Door to door commute to downtown NYC is 50 minutes and midtown is 60 minutes.

Let me know if you need more information.
4 1/2 year old thread. I'm sure the OP found a place by now.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 PM

12,024 posts, read 14,030,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
4 1/2 year old thread. I'm sure the OP found a place by now.
Exactly!
To some extent, I can understand a newcomer to the forum doing a search for a thread to which he/she can contribute. What I can't understand is when somebody fails to notice the dates on every post in that thread, and winds up giving advice to a person who is...long gone from the forum.

In this case, the OP has not seen fit to return to this thread since January, 2010, and has not been active in the forum in any threads for well over a year.

Pkat is talking to the wall, so to speak.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey