U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2016, 05:28 AM
 
51 posts, read 34,967 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Having grown up in North Bergen I could see Manhatten in the distance. I left at age 27 went to college in Calif San Fran which was awesome, lived in Calif, Fl and now Tenn. I get around but i am actually considering moving back to NJ.

Hoboken has gotten very expensive, but you can get a house for under 450,000 easily, secaucus, clifton, are fine places to live, take a train into the city, or you can try Long Island which is very nice also. The rents in NJ are very high and for you newbies to the area, jersey usually requires a 1.5 months of security which i think is highway robbery. lol

I am now also considering Northern Va which is very pricey as well, hence why people pack up and move to Florida so many come back but many dont' lol Good luck in your searches. Jersey was awesome when i grew up there a mix of small towns in Bergen county was our hang out fort lee, etc its still charming around there. I miss it. We have good physicians and easy access to healthcare compared to other states i have lived in....

Last edited by Schoolmate1959; 02-28-2016 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: add a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2017, 02:37 PM
bn1
 
79 posts, read 96,310 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post
Having grown up in North Bergen I could see Manhatten in the distance. I left at age 27 went to college in Calif San Fran which was awesome, lived in Calif, Fl and now Tenn. I get around but i am actually considering moving back to NJ.

Hoboken has gotten very expensive, but you can get a house for under 450,000 easily, secaucus, clifton, are fine places to live, take a train into the city, or you can try Long Island which is very nice also. The rents in NJ are very high and for you newbies to the area, jersey usually requires a 1.5 months of security which i think is highway robbery. lol

I am now also considering Northern Va which is very pricey as well, hence why people pack up and move to Florida so many come back but many dont' lol Good luck in your searches. Jersey was awesome when i grew up there a mix of small towns in Bergen county was our hang out fort lee, etc its still charming around there. I miss it. We have good physicians and easy access to healthcare compared to other states i have lived in....
I would actually put the bergenline area of North Bergen as an up and coming hip place that's a reasonably close commute to the city. You got the huge park, a lively community, a bustling vibe with many good ethnic restaurants - can think of at least 3 very good italian joints (2 of which are hip), Cuban, Spanish tapas, halal platters, italian deli, Brazilian and plenty more. It's safe but definitely more gritty feeling than overly gentrified places like hoboken. It prides itself on being a progressive community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 04:46 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,037,052 times
Reputation: 453
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Union City, NJ
779 posts, read 336,762 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
I would actually put the bergenline area of North Bergen as an up and coming hip place that's a reasonably close commute to the city. You got the huge park, a lively community, a bustling vibe with many good ethnic restaurants - can think of at least 3 very good italian joints (2 of which are hip), Cuban, Spanish tapas, halal platters, italian deli, Brazilian and plenty more. It's safe but definitely more gritty feeling than overly gentrified places like hoboken. It prides itself on being a progressive community.
You did a really good job making bergenline sound hip. It's not hip at all, but you did a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 AM
bn1
 
79 posts, read 96,310 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
You did a really good job making bergenline sound hip. It's not hip at all, but you did a good job.
Imagination and some (hopeful) foresight, my friend.

I do think it has some potential to be hip eventually. It has some early rumblings.

Considering some other parts of the metro area that are becoming hip, what's not to say that part of North Bergen has a decent shot? It just might have enough of the ingredients in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top