Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,898,873 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Lower Merion, Philadelphia's New Jersey suburbs never got much respect, supposedly due to high taxes, a mediocre housing stock, and a lack of a unique culture. I was never a Jersey basher, but until the end of my senior year of high school, I hadn't really experienced the place firsthand. Around then, I began dating a girl from Voorhees, and got to know the area pretty well.

I played golf at Woodcrest Country Club, went to both the Cherry Hill and Echelon Malls, and visited every restaurant and shopping center you can imagine. I can't say anything really differed from the Main Line--except the real estate, that is. Most of the Voorhees housing stock was surprisingly well stocked. Those houses that fetched $500,000 in Voorhees could easily have sold for close to $1,000,000 in Lower Merion.

But at the same time, Voorhees and Cherry Hill felt oddly bland, seeming to lack a lot of the history and culture that makes the Main Line special. I'm not posting this to fan a flame war. I just wonder if I missed what makes the South Jersey area a truly unique and wonderful place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 AM

22 posts, read 111,521 times
Perhaps you can investigate why those Eagles and Flyers chose to live in South Jersey, and tell me what you find out. (I'd like to know too.) : )

Old 01-05-2010, 04:55 AM

32,756 posts, read 35,956,419 times
" I just wonder if I missed what makes the South Jersey area a truly unique and wonderful place to live."

If you spent your time at the mall, I would say so. Cherry Hill and Voorhees were developed in the 20th century, mostly post war. If you look at the USGS 1930 map, you'll see miles of farmland punctuated by small towns.

Cherry Hill Township

Did you intentionally not mention Burlington, Haddonfield, Moorestown?

She didn't even take you to the "tree house"? It's a house with a tree growing up through the middle of it.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM

9,309 posts, read 12,898,873 times
I didn't intentionally omit Haddonfield, Burlington, or Moorestown, I simply forgot about them. Other than "passing through" to get to Margate City, I don't really go to the area anymore.

I do remember having very positive impressions of Haddonfield. It seemed a lot like New Jersey's answer to the Main Line, and a pretty good response at that. I haven't been to Moorestown, but I recall her family saying many positive things about the place. I never had any occasion to visit Burlington.

And tell me about this tree house. I tried googling it to no avail.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,778,711 times
Take a look at Riverton too. Its a smaller Haddenfield right on the river..

Riverton, NJ Borough Web Site

Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 42,710 times
I grew up in Cape May...not exactly Main Line, but many parts of S. Jersey are similarly beautiful. I live near NYC now and I realize what makes South Jersey unique: the SPACE! The wide open spaces (especially the beaches) and even the farms of Glassboro and Vineland create an entirely different atmosphere than North Jersey. Whereas North Jersey is a mini NYC, South Jersey is very relaxed and open. It's truly a wonderful thing to go about your day without being elbowed and bumped into, unlike NYC and Philly. It's also great to pay less and have some breathing room.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,778,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseblossum View Post
I grew up in Cape May...not exactly Main Line, but many parts of S. Jersey are similarly beautiful. I live near NYC now and I realize what makes South Jersey unique: the SPACE! The wide open spaces (especially the beaches) and even the farms of Glassboro and Vineland create an entirely different atmosphere than North Jersey. Whereas North Jersey is a mini NYC, South Jersey is very relaxed and open. It's truly a wonderful thing to go about your day without being elbowed and bumped into, unlike NYC and Philly. It's also great to pay less and have some breathing room.

exactly. Good assessment..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,736,928 times
I think the difference you are talking about is more about the main line then it is about New Jersey. New Jersey is typical. The main line is unique and "special" which is the reason it's famous.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 PM

155 posts, read 195,265 times
Next time visit areas such as Haddonfield, Collingswood, and Moorestown so that you can make a more accurate assesment.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
Next time visit areas such as Haddonfield, Collingswood, and Moorestown so that you can make a more accurate assesment.
If this is directed at me (you didn't quote anyone) I am familier with these three towns. I didn't say suburban NJ was bad, in fact I like it alot. My point is that it isn't much different then suburban Kansas City or suburban Denver. Moorstown and Haddenfield, for all their charms, seem "raw" compared to a ride along Conshohocken State Road through Gladwyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey