U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,409,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Libraries are one of the few services they shouldn't cut. If more people read something once in a while, perhaps they wouldn't keep voting in the same morons over and over. Libraries provide a much needed service, and if only a tiny subset of the population utilizes it, then the problem is with the population, not the libraries.

I agree completely. Although 4 million for 2 librarys in Montclair is a pretty absurd amount

Unread 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,228,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
HEY STOP PICKING ON OUR LIBRARIES!!

Okay, I know libraries like every other department will face cuts - but they are one of the best resources our town offers. I for one am an avid reader, and yes, I do buy books - but I could never afford to buy every book I read. Hey folks, we're in a recession -the library offers books and yes CDs on free loan - what a great way for families to cut their expenses. And guess what, not everyone has internet service. For example, my sister lost her job last year - couldn't afford to keep internet service -she used the library computers to send out resumes, check on job openings, etc. - she is in part thanks to the library, again a tax paying member of society.
Libraries also serve as a wonderful community gathering place. Most libraries have story time for pre-schoolers - a great way for children to learn to love books and for parents to get to know other parents in their communities. We want our society to turn out educated, intelligent people - your local library is a part of that.
We recently moved - one of the first things we did was join the library. Our library had just formed a group that meets once a month. They have a free lecture and then people sit around and talk. I've found it a great way to meet new people.
I've also used the library to research purchases on Consumer Reports, as well as other magazines. As a library member I can reach certain databases that I could not access on my own.
Yes, I realize times are tough,and many resources will be cut - but to pick on libraries in particular is extremely short-sighted.
Again, a library is not a "resource". It is something that costs a lot of money that comes from the taxes of families that need the money to pay for their own living expenses. We have people losing homes.

It is kind of ridiculous to have money taken from people's paychecks to feed their families so that others can, "for free", go read books and meet people.

How about this: Libraries can be privatized. You could have a reasonable fee structure and the people that use libraries could pay for libraries.

Also, the duplication is insane. You have 30 towns in a county each duplicating the capital expense, the labor expense, the insurance expense, and each buying hundreds of thousands of the same books, CDs, DVDs so that people can entertain themselves.

I would favor abolishing libraries altogether, but as a compromise, maybe get rid of all the town libraries and have only a county library.

We really need to have everyone get away from the idea of getting "free" things if we are going to reduce taxes and make NJ the great state it could be.

Unread 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,228,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I agree completely. Although 4 million for 2 librarys in Montclair is a pretty absurd amount
You have to be kidding me. I had no idea it was that much. OK, this is not funny. It has to stop.

Unread 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM

3,489 posts, read 3,957,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Maybe. It depends what the money was for. Did they build new libraries, or extensions to existing libraries? Or was that simply for new books, computers, etc? I couldn't really judge the absurdity with the info you gave me.

Unread 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,409,603 times
Quote:
Montclair, for one, contributes $3.78 million to its two-branch system, $1.3 million more than the minimum. If Montclair loses $1 million in state aid, that budgetary line can pop off the page, and some may question the expenditure.

Its from the link the OP posted. I dont know anything beyond that

Unread 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM

300 posts, read 295,287 times
The library is not just for "entertainment." A library is an educational tool. Do we want a population who can read, research, etc.? I guess we have different opinions on what is necessary in our society. We constantly hear about the necessity for an educated workforce and how we are falling behind other countries in that regard. I believe libraries are an important tool in educating our population.
Could the services of libraries, particularly in small towns, be combined? That is something that certainly could be pursued, but to eliminate libraries altogether would be a huge mistake.

Unread 01-10-2010, 11:27 AM

259 posts, read 433,835 times
theres to much overlap in this state. Meaning why does each individual town have the same offices/services. Everything should be consolidated, except for police/firefighters and emt

Unread 01-10-2010, 12:20 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,935,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
The library is not just for "entertainment." A library is an educational tool. Do we want a population who can read, research, etc.? I guess we have different opinions on what is necessary in our society. We constantly hear about the necessity for an educated workforce and how we are falling behind other countries in that regard. I believe libraries are an important tool in educating our population.
Could the services of libraries, particularly in small towns, be combined? That is something that certainly could be pursued, but to eliminate libraries altogether would be a huge mistake.
I agree. But what annoys me is when I see hundreds of DVDs on the shelves. Taxpayer money should not be spend on full seasons of The Sopranos.

Unread 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM

1,374 posts, read 4,642,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Again, a library is not a "resource". It is something that costs a lot of money that comes from the taxes of families that need the money to pay for their own living expenses. We have people losing homes.

It is kind of ridiculous to have money taken from people's paychecks to feed their families so that others can, "for free", go read books and meet people.

How about this: Libraries can be privatized. You could have a reasonable fee structure and the people that use libraries could pay for libraries.

Also, the duplication is insane. You have 30 towns in a county each duplicating the capital expense, the labor expense, the insurance expense, and each buying hundreds of thousands of the same books, CDs, DVDs so that people can entertain themselves.

I would favor abolishing libraries altogether, but as a compromise, maybe get rid of all the town libraries and have only a county library.

We really need to have everyone get away from the idea of getting "free" things if we are going to reduce taxes and make NJ the great state it could be.

I agree with the idea of privatization but I doubt it's a viable bussiness plan nowadays. Families that don't value education don't and aren't likely in the near future to start using them. Families that already know the value of an education have copmuters in the home.

Although major libraries will always be around they are becoming less important than in the past. Like newsprint, travel agents and relators.

BTW...that's not a dig....I read another post of yours and congrats on your realistic view of the future.

Unread 01-10-2010, 01:22 PM

3,489 posts, read 3,957,846 times
Library funding comes from local taxes, so if a town doesn't want one, they shouldn't HAVE to have one. Also, consolidation would work well too. But we DO need them. A child should always have access to books regardless of his/her parents income, or the value their parents place on education. Ironically, I have seen children who seem to take more of an interest in learning than their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey