Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 8,584 times

Advertisements

Have read everything I can on here re the above but some is old. We are moving from a town I love in Essex, an "urban suburb" ( funky, artsy, ethnically diverse, abt 30 min to the city) and looking to move to Monmouth b/c we want lower taxes and I am done with old and charming! We want to be near the water ( as close as possible), easy access to the beach, restaurants, shopping, art etc, an area I can bike alone without worry and want either a townhouse (preferred) or a home in a development with someone else to do the outside work- we have other things to do now! Clubhouse, pool would be nice but not a deal breaker.We don't have to worry about the school system -college age kid. Not interested in the over 55 thing. One of us commutes to the city daily (Penn Station) Not a fan of buses but will try it if more convenient to home. The other one commutes up and down the GSP 3 -4 days a week.Have been driving around and did find the Dunes at Shoal Harbor( which I really liked) and the one across the road, I think Park Ferry.I gathered there will be some development of the waterfront around there soon but am not clear as to what that is- though I think it look like a good thing that may push prices up so I want to get going before that happens.
Looking in price range of UP TO about 550K. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM

80 posts, read 191,889 times
Stay away from Middletown if you're looking for lower property taxes. Ours are crippling and one of the main reasons we're leaving the area.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM

19 posts, read 149,397 times
If you are interested in what may happen along the waterfront in Port Monmouth & Belford, check out this link: Middletown Township - Planning - Port of Belford Project (http://www.middletownnj.org/planning/belford.asp - broken link)

That is the proposed Port of Belford redevelopment project for the area to the immediate east of Dunes at Shoal Harbor (along the water to the ferry terminal). Plans are really beautiful but I would expect that it is a few years from being developed as proposed, if ever.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrolaura View Post
Stay away from Middletown if you're looking for lower property taxes. Ours are crippling and one of the main reasons we're leaving the area.
They are probably lower than what the OP pays in Essex county, though.

I just moved from Bergen County to Monmouth County and have been looking at real estate. Middletown taxes are about half of what people pay on comparable property in Northwest Bergen County!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They are probably lower than what the OP pays in Essex county, though.

I just moved from Bergen County to Monmouth County and have been looking at real estate. Middletown taxes are about half of what people pay on comparable property in Northwest Bergen County!
Yikes! We're nearing $10K now and Middletown is thinking of hiking the taxes again next year (to pay for 4 new schools and the low income housing development) by anywhere from 9-12%. I can't imagine paying 10% more than I am already, let alone double.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,004 times
Middletown has more varied housing than Little Silver and Red Bank. There are modest 3-bed capes to mansions available. Simplest way to low-ish taxes is to purchase a lower assessed home.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 8,584 times
Default Taxes

We are paying close to 10K now for abt 1350 sq ft and 60x166 land. Could it be worse there?!

Thanks for feedback thus far.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving essex View Post
We are paying close to 10K now for abt 1350 sq ft and 60x166 land. Could it be worse there?!

Thanks for feedback thus far.
Oh, probably not. Our house is nearly double the size of yours and we have nearly an acre (.86 acres). Of course the bathrooms and kitchen are original to the 1964 split level we have. If we updated those our taxes would be around $12K.

If you're paying $10K for 1300 sq ft, you'd by comparison, be paying less in Middletown.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrolaura View Post
Yikes! We're nearing $10K now and Middletown is thinking of hiking the taxes again next year (to pay for 4 new schools and the low income housing development) by anywhere from 9-12%. I can't imagine paying 10% more than I am already, let alone double.
Well, I made kind of a blanket statement and shouldn't have. Middletown is much different from the area from which I moved in Bergen County in that it is a much larger town with a wider range of property types and values. But as a more specific example, a friend of mine with a 3-bedroom cape on about 1/4 of an acre in northwest Bergen is paying $12k in taxes. Another friend in Middletown with a 3-bedroom ranch on a larger piece of property is paying around $6.5K.

I've looked at 2 BR townhouses in Middletown this past year where the taxes run around $4K - $5K. That would definitely be higher in Bergen County.

There's no escaping it though--don't know anyone in Jersey who has LOW taxes.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I made kind of a blanket statement and shouldn't have. Middletown is much different from the area from which I moved in Bergen County in that it is a much larger town with a wider range of property types and values. But as a more specific example, a friend of mine with a 3-bedroom cape on about 1/4 of an acre in northwest Bergen is paying $12k in taxes. Another friend in Middletown with a 3-bedroom ranch on a larger piece of property is paying around $6.5K.

I've looked at 2 BR townhouses in Middletown this past year where the taxes run around $4K - $5K. That would definitely be higher in Bergen County.

There's no escaping it though--don't know anyone in Jersey who has LOW taxes.
$6.5K? $4-5K? Where in Middletown? That seems like a bargain. LOL

But there's one thing you said we can both agree on 100%: don't know anyone in Jersey who has LOW taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey