Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:43 AM

85 posts, read 315,154 times

Advertisements

Hopefully you guy's know more about this than me!! Can one move to New Jersey and actually open up a cannabis coffee shop/dispensary? Smoking anything really isn't good for the body at all, yet with marijuana you can use it in so many ways medically which actually in studies prove that marijuana actually heals our minds, opens up our lungs, and promotes pain relief as an alternative from OxyContin and Morphine or other drugs laced with these substances given out to our younger generation and middle generation. Addiction is killing more and more people because of societies inability to find high quality cannabis on a regular basis. Cannabis is not so much addictive, but more of a state of mind and were people would rather experience instead of the hectic stressed out mind of the common american worker who makes under $600.00 a week.

Everything costs money and a lot of it, there is no outlets or places were we can go that offer recreation, or really anything for that matter if you don't have big bucks. Marijuana has helped me and has hurt me, yet I really feel it was the fact that marijuana was "ILLEGAL," making it difficult to use and shameful. Thank God For This and God Bless America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
yes its a good question about how, now, is it going to be dispensed?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 PM

28 posts, read 78,035 times
For those who are interested this bit is taken from the NORMLNJ.org site and it quotes:

"NJ Medical Marijuana process
Step 1 – Doctor and Patient consultation
Step 2 – Application to the program
Mod cut: copyright violation

I also understand that regular doctors will not be allowed to dispense marijuana, I guess maybe only diagnose the patient as being able to benefit from the marijuana. I think this is a great step for NJ, however, I do agree with another poster that chronically ill patients should be able to grow at least a small amount of it at home, instead of making money off of the very ill. But, hey, maybe in a couple of years, as long as people keep fighting for it, it may happen. I just don't understand how people can really say that marijuana has no medicinal value, as it has had for centuries before man-made drugs. I think it's horrible that the pharmaceutical companies are basically making man-made heroin, putting it into a capsule, selling it for $400-$1000 to your insurance, and saying that it's better for you than $5 worth of weed.
If anyone wants to know more details, I suggest visiting the NormlNJ.org website.

I imagine you will have to get a business license to sell it, and maybe even a pharmacy tech certification, a cultivation license, etc.... i'm sure it probably won't be easy.. or cheap.

Although federal law currently prohibits the use of marijuana, the laws of Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington permit the use of marijuana for medical purposes, and in Arizona doctors are permitted to prescribe marijuana. New Jersey joins this effort for the health and welfare of its citizens...

But if I had the chance, I would certainly partner in a financial endeavor with someone who knew the ins-and-outs of starting an alternative treatment center, and who was also willing to have federal harassment forced upon them... i think it would be a nice profitable income, You would have to contact the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services for more information on licensing procedures and the such... but there will always be a couple of feds or police with a hard-on for anything marijuana...

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-20-2010 at 06:30 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 05:37 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
So who is going to grow it? who is supplying the "treatment center"?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 PM

28 posts, read 78,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
The impression that I got from it is they will be cultivating some if it themselves, and some of it will be bought wholesale through other distributors in the country. Also, I read on another website somewhere that the state health department will start out opening 6 major "non-profit" centers in the state, that will ultimately set the statue for other centers that will open up. So these 6 starter centers will basically set the prices for the marijuana, and how the businesses are supposed to be run. This is really all I can get out of it right now, the NJ department of health's website isn't saying anything about alternative treatment centers, or marijuana... so I can't get much info from them without calling, or waiting for more info through NORML. There are a lot of new developments with cannabis, so I'm going to start researching more, and see what I can see.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I agree that legalizing it for medical purposes is a good idea, although maybe they should legalize it for everyone and tax it. Anyway, according to the newspapers, people will be allowed to purchase 2 oz. per month. How many cigarettes are they able to get from 2 oz.? Just curious.
HOLY CRAP! 2oz?? Thats a HUGE amount IMO. FYI an "O" is about a sandwich bag size full and generally runs from $350-$700 on the street depending on quality. Friends of mine...ahem...that i used to know back in the day...cough... would smoke a bone/joint every morning, maybe one on their lunch break, then 2-3 after work every day. They would just barely get through 1oz in a month. So, basically they were stoned all day every day on one ounce each.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

New marijuana law hailed, but concerns still remain | courierpostonline.com | Courier-Post
Quote:
The marijuana will only be available at "alternative treatment centers" regulated and monitored by the DHSS and the Department of Law and Public Safety. To start, there will be six nonprofit centers - two each in north, central and south New Jersey. Additional non-profit or for-profit centers will be added based on demand.
New Jersey is the only MM state that doesn't allow growing your own.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
HOLY CRAP! 2oz?? Thats a HUGE amount IMO. FYI an "O" is about a sandwich bag size full and generally runs from $350-$700 on the street depending on quality. Friends of mine...ahem...that i used to know back in the day...cough... would smoke a bone/joint every morning, maybe one on their lunch break, then 2-3 after work every day. They would just barely get through 1oz in a month. So, basically they were stoned all day every day on one ounce each.

Possession limits are actually low in NJ. See this chart:
14 Legal Medical Marijuana States - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

In Washington State you can possess up to 24 ounces. They call that a 60-day supply!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This has always been the problem. If THC becomes decriminalized, we dont need as many police. I'm sure the FOP would criminalize flatulence if they could get away with it.

LMAO....yeah, would if they could!! If pot was legalized altogether, whatever would all the cops do to justify their jobs?

I suppose they would spend a lot more of their time going after the REAL criminals, i.e., they would be much busier writing speeding tickets to all the average joes trudging back and forth to work every day. You can't get money from criminals, you need law-abiding citizens who actually work for a living and can pay for their tickets to keep revenues up. Arresting criminals is not a revenue-producing activity.

I can't believe they won't let people grow a few stinkin' pot plants for themselves. Does Corzine own a pot farm or one of his relatives? Someone must be on the take in this scenario. After all, it is NJ.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post

Might seem like a huge amount if you're rolling joints and smoking it but for wicked nausea if you are ingesting it not smoking it maybe it's not all that much. And if I ever end up with end-stage cancer or something terminal that makes me miserable and nauseous all the time, I plan on smoking a bunch of J's and being stoned all the time until my demise if it's at all possible thank you very much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey