Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
they already do all of that, exit tests, peer reviews etc....

if you guys are going to hammer teachers, at least have a clue about it. The way you people act in this thread, you would think that NJ has the lowest testing scores and graduation rates in the country.

Theres a reason why NJ certified teachers can go anywhere else in the country and work as a teacher with no new certifications needed. They are considered over qualified compared to teachers of other states.

There are marginal or below average workers in all walks of life whether it be unions or people protected by who they know in the private sector. New teachers make a tad bit more than new hires that pass civil service exams and land decent state jobs. Most of these people never even walked on a college campus, some of them only have a GED. So you tell me teachers are overpaid? Right...College graduates with at least double BAs plus Masters degrees getting paid 51k after 4 years is being overpaid? BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
*gasp*

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
The salaries of Hoboken school teachers are public, check hoboken411.com if you would like to see them. There are 108 teachers who make a $100,000 or more. Yeah, I think they are over paid.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
OK....lets see how much you know.....on what basis do you determine a bad teacher that needs to be fired ?
When a teacher with tenure gets remanded to the library for two years while a teacher without tenure would have gotten the boot.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
Tenure protects good teachers more than it protects bad teachers. Tenure is earned not given.
Tenure is a gift after two + years of teaching. Don't make it out to be some big exam that needs to be passed b/c it isn't.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:02 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Real estate agents should sell homes and educators should educate. Lets be sure to hold teachers to standards just like we do other careers. What were the standards when real estate agents were selling homes to people who couldnt afford them? What is that called capitalism? NJ has education standards thats why we have the best education system in the world.
Video capture

Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Real estate agents should sell homes and educators should educate. Lets be sure to hold teachers to standards just like we do other careers. What were the standards when real estate agents were selling homes to people who couldnt afford them? What is that called capitalism? NJ has education standards thats why we have the best education system in the world.
Video capture
Yes, that.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Real estate agents should sell homes and educators should educate. Lets be sure to hold teachers to standards just like we do other careers.
Market forces (not some mega-bureaucracy) hold other careers to a standard. To keep their jobs, real estate sales people need to sell real estate, programmers need to be able to write software, taxi drivers need to drive their cabs -- and, I would argue, teachers shouldn't keep their jobs unless they can teach.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
and the teachers that make over 100k have been teaching for at least 20 years. did you forget to mention that... No you didnt. No teacher walks in and makes taht money, not even after 10 years. after 10 years they are lucky to crack 70k.
But this shows what's wrong with the system. Compensation should depend on quality of teaching, not marking time. I'd be OK with teachers getting paid 100k if they were getting paid that much because they are really worth it, and not because they have been doing the same thing for 30 years.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:07 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
I love this argument because all the bashers make is seems as if MOST teachers cant teach. The reality is a few cant. Lets not get crazy and turn this into a political argument. Oops too late because thats all this is. Until you can look past politics dont waste our time.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
and the teachers that make over 100k have been teaching for at least 20 years. did you forget to mention that... No you didnt. No teacher walks in and makes taht money, not even after 10 years. after 10 years they are lucky to crack 70k.

I smell a lot of douchery and hate in here because some of you chose the wrong profession. Maybe I should hate the real estate chump that makes 200-300k a year for selling houses to people that couldnt afford it. maybe i should hate the finance guys that work in jersey city making 300k a year and tanking the economy. Mindless twits, thats what some of you are.

First off, the table I looked at did not indicate years of service. Second simply lasting 20 years doesn't entitle anyone to anything, excellence does. If you look at the state of the Hoboken school system you would see we are not getting excellence. So on the whole the teachers in the Hoboken school system are are over paid.

For the record I do not hate teachers nor do I envy their salaries as I make far more than they do.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I love this argument because all the bashers make is seems as if MOST teachers cant teach. The reality is a few cant. Lets not get crazy and turn this into a political argument. Oops too late because thats all this is. Until you can look past politics dont waste our time.

The educational system in this country is in abysmal shape and the teachers and their unions are in large measure to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey