Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM7 View Post
Do you have any suggestions for good towns that do utilize express trains to Montvale? Are there any? OR - just to Hoboken?

And - where can I find these schedules? I may be looking in the wrong places.
There aren't express trains that stop at Montvale. Montvale is a "local stop." In fact, the only "express" trains I can find on the Pascack Valley Line schedule (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0010.pdf) are the Metro-North Express trains. They make stops in New York State, then express with no stops in Bergen County.

As some others have posted, some of the busier lines offer more express train services, but that doesn't help you get to Montvale. The Pascack Valley Line is a low-volume line, and Montvale is a low volume stop on that line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
for clarity, the express trains are called "midtown direct" on NJ transit.
Actually NJT uses the term "Midtown Direct" in reference to trains that terminate in New York Penn instead of Hoboken. It was a marketing ploy when the Morris and Essex and Montclair/Boonton lines started service to Penn Station in the late 1990s. Prior to that, customers on the M&E and MB lines had to transfer to get to Manhattan. Direct doesn't mean express, it means no transfer. Even local trains to Penn Station are Midtown Direct trains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kearny_Connection

Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,293 times
Quote:
Not if you're going to Hoboken.....

The other people responding to the actual OP, you are aware they asked 3 years ago, right? I'm pretty sure they've figured it out by now.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
No they aren't. I take express trains on the NJCL that go to Hoboken. Express means that they skip stations. Midtown Direct means they go to Penn Station without a transfer.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM7 View Post
Ok, I was thinking that there may be a town inbetween that has a heavy public trans service that instead of going 100% from Montvale to/from Hoboken, there may be a nice town in-between that could cut each commute in half, and still have service to Manhattan.
I know this is an old thread, but Pearl River should have some express trains to Secaucus & Hoboken, and it's one stop away from Montvale.

Hackensack probably has some express trains (I don't feel like checking the schedule), but the problem is that I don't think reverse-peak service to Montvale would be too good (unless you just drove and your spouse took the train into Manhattan. There's also buses into NYC as a backup, both the GWB terminal in Upper Manhattan, and the PABT in Midtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Pascack line has fewer trains because ridership is lower. The Main/Bergen line has the highest ridership. Also remember that both these lines are already "closer" to the city, as they both originate in New York State.
So does the Pascack Valley Line.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:

The Pascack line has fewer trains because ridership is lower. The Main/Bergen line has the highest ridership. Also remember that both these lines are already "closer" to the city, as they both originate in New York State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

So does the Pascack Valley Line.
Um, yeah, didn't I just say that?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Um, yeah, didn't I just say that?
I thought you were referring to the Main & Bergen County Lines as two seperate lines (versus Main/Bergen County & Pascack Valley)

Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I thought you were referring to the Main & Bergen County Lines as two seperate lines (versus Main/Bergen County & Pascack Valley)
Oh. No, they are still one line until after Ridgewood (going toward Hoboken).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey