Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times

Advertisements

Every state has its positives and negatives. To different people, the positives outweigh the negatives and vice versa. I like Vermont, but to me, the negatives (horrible weather, no jobs, very liberal politics), outweigh the positives (beautiful scenery and countryside, nice low-crime cities). Whereas in Florida, for me, the positives (great weather, variety of things to do and see, diverse landscape) outweigh the negatives (high-crime cities, very humid summers).

What I can't stand is when people who live in New Jersey and New York (more NYC/LI than upstate) act as if the Northeast is the center of the country and that everywhere else is just inferior.

The South has nicer weather, nicer people, great culture, great history, beautiful landscape, cheaper costs, better food, and a more positive attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 PM

151 posts, read 132,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Every state has its positives and negatives. To different people, the positives outweigh the negatives and vice versa. I like Vermont, but to me, the negatives (horrible weather, no jobs, very liberal politics), outweigh the positives (beautiful scenery and countryside, nice low-crime cities). Whereas in Florida, for me, the positives (great weather, variety of things to do and see, diverse landscape) outweigh the negatives (high-crime cities, very humid summers).

What I can't stand is when people who live in New Jersey and New York (more NYC/LI than upstate) act as if the Northeast is the center of the country and that everywhere else is just inferior.

The South has nicer weather, nicer people, great culture, great history, beautiful landscape, cheaper costs, better food, and a more positive attitude.
Yeah, it's definately opinion.

I see the weather as too hot, people as fake, culture is hickish, history is good, landscape is boring, cheaper cost with worse amenities/culture/salaries, crappy food (lots of fried foods and crappy italian) and more fakeness.

Just being honest.

Last edited by anp83; 01-15-2010 at 11:50 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp83 View Post
Yeah, it's definately opinion.

I see the weather as too hot, people as fake, culture is hickish, history is good, landscape is boring, cheaper cost with worse amenities/culture/salaries, crappy food (lots of fried foods and crappy italian) and more fakeness.

Just being honest.
Oh, it's definately all opinion, but I like not having to deal with 20 degree days, people that will actually help you out in a jam and strike up a conversation, a culture that isn't obsessed with the rat race and money grubbing, states that aren't dominated by big industrial cities with smog, and women that are friendly rather than bite your head off.

Both cuisines are good as I like pizza and bagels better in the Northeast (Italian and Jewish influence), but I'll still take grits, sweet tea, Southern barbecue, and bread pudding any day of the week.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:21 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yikes, here we go again. Any criticism of good ole NJ is met with love it or leave it. Ummmm how about neither. I intend to change it. And I started to change it on November 3rd!

good!! just be sure not to use our shore when you move away!! lol

Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 AM

155 posts, read 196,999 times
Quote:
Whereas in Florida, for me, the positives (great weather, variety of things to do and see, diverse landscape) outweigh the negatives (high-crime cities, very humid summers).
You can not be serious,lol. People are leaving Florida by the bunches because of no jobs and low wages. Many that push Florida on this forum do so because they take loads of cash that they made in New Jersey, hense they become immune to the problems of Florida or any other state for that matter. I have also seen many young families go to Florida and lose everything only to return less than a year later. No thanks, you can keep Florida.

Florida loses population for the first time since World War II - St. Petersburg Times

Is Florida Losing Its Appeal Among Retirees?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
You can not be serious,lol. People are leaving Florida by the bunches because of no jobs and low wages. Many that push Florida on this forum do so because they take loads of cash that they made in New Jersey, hense they become immune to the problems of Florida or any other state for that matter. I have also seen many young families go to Florida and lose everything only to return less than a year later. No thanks, you can keep Florida.

Florida loses population for the first time since World War II - St. Petersburg Times

Is Florida Losing Its Appeal Among Retirees?
Florida = Gods waiting room

Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Exactly my point about how some people like filet mignon and some like McNuggets.

Quote:

Let's face it, more visitors come to this part of the country than to anyplace in the south (other than Florida, which is actually more northern in culture, anyway).

As for the south -
nicer weather? Yes, unless you're a skier
nicer people? Myth - every place has the same amount of nice people and jerks
great culture? Such as what - Moonshine jug and washboard bands?
great history? Like getting their butts kicked in a war they fought against the USA to protect their right to enslave human beings? More like a very embarrassing history
beautiful landscape? like old appliances and cars that don't run out in front of the trailer-home?
cheaper costs? Sure - and McNuggets cost less than filet mignon; you get what you pay for.
better food? I guess if you like ketchup on a matzoh with some shredded cheddar for your pizza...
more positive attitude??? Our negative attitudes here come only from self-loathing New Jerseyans who whine and criticize the state despite the obvious fact that they still choose, of their own free wills, to live here day after day. Maybe when they finally move out of NJ to the south then they can drag all their negativity down to the south also (won't happen, though, because deep down they know it's better here).

Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
VERY interesting thread, I must say I have to agree with those who say that whomever truly despises the state: cut your losses and make a plan. Put everything you have into it, all your money, energy and resources, and do it as soon as possible.

I hate where I'm living in SE PA, and the towns I do like very much, in Chester County, are way too expensive for me. I can, and plan to, purchase a home with ground in very South NJ, for considerably less than Chester County, PA, and for the same property taxes I'm paying now in the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District (for a postage stamp-sized lot). Don't forget there are really TWO New Jerseys: North and South. And in the South taxes are much lower, the pace is much slower, the culture and history are solid and beautifully intertwined with legends and charm, the beaches are pristine, and the food is marvelous. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,600 times
Quote:
Oh, it's definately all opinion, but I like not having to deal with 20 degree days, people that will actually help you out in a jam and strike up a conversation, a culture that isn't obsessed with the rat race and money grubbing, states that aren't dominated by big industrial cities with smog, and women that are friendly rather than bite your head off.

Both cuisines are good as I like pizza and bagels better in the Northeast (Italian and Jewish influence), but I'll still take grits, sweet tea, Southern barbecue, and bread pudding any day of the week.
I agree, southern states have more friendly people. The general statement made by the poster is like saying Jersey Shore represents all NJsians.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escap3 View Post
I agree, southern states have more friendly people. The general statement made by the poster is like saying Jersey Shore represents all NJsians.
No, southern states have more fake people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey