U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,778,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can easily get to the Lincoln Tunnel from my house in < 1 hr and I'm west of Morristown. And yes, this isn't at 3am, but rather 4-5pm or 10-11am on the weekends.
I did this route for 4 years with a reverse commute. If someone is living in NJ and wants to spend the evening in NYC, going at 5 PM is still late. You'll be waiting to get into a tunnel for a GOOD 45 minutes, if not longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:10 PM

11,698 posts, read 21,506,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I did this route for 4 years with a reverse commute. If someone is living in NJ and wants to spend the evening in NYC, going at 5 PM is still late. You'll be waiting to get into a tunnel for a GOOD 45 minutes, if not longer.
I've got to imagine someone working in W.S. is not going to be going into Manhattan for the evening during the week all that often. Weekends more likely and the traffic will be lighter. Noone but the OP can confirm their intentions though.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,535 times
I work at Merck in Whitehouse and commuted from Hoboken for 2 years. It certainly is possible, but not for everybody. As long as you watch the traffic reports, the morning commute is about 1 hour. The evening commute takes longer, generally about 75-90 minutes. If you like Hoboken, stay downtown since it can take 15-20 minutes just to get uptown during rush hour. I finally moved to Bridgewater and enjoy having the extra 2 hours each day.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 13,627 times
Thank you everybody for your replies, you cannot imagine how helpful this was, honestly!!!! !Now I have a checklist of towns to come visit, and test-drives to-from locations....I just wanted to let you know that I did line up my interview, march 11th which is a Wednesday...But I am going to take all Friday and Saturday for my explorations of the towns and driving routes that you've taught me, thanks so much for that!
And to "boken14" --> Is there anyway -and would you be okey- to get in touch with you offline via email and drill down to some more questions please as I really want to explore this "Hoboken" idea and the facts of driving to Whitehouse, especially to Merck? )

Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM

101 posts, read 239,672 times
I suggest Morristown or Westfield- one day you may end up with a family - these things happen even to urban couples(ex. park slope guy here). And Morristown and Westfield are more reasonable commutes- I think I favor Morristown- westfield has a nicer strip of stores perhaps, but morristown feels more like a small city.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 13,627 times
oh I am most definitely still visiting both Morristown and Westfield since they both came up many many times in our forum and I am very curious...and yes totally possible that I end up at those places instead since the idea of going from a 20min against traffic commute-which I have now-all the way up to 90 minutes is still scary enough to keep my options open closer to Whitehouse Station...Thanks IanErikson!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM

510 posts, read 1,182,459 times
I like both Westfield and Morristown, but I prefer Morristown. Unlike what BergenJohn said, there is a growing nightlife in Morristown whereas Westfield is a strict suburb. Everything closes early in that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey