Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times

Advertisements

Clifton isn't a big ghetto. What the hell are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 01:06 PM

142 posts, read 537,158 times
Default Clifton, NJ

I just moved out of Clifton 10 months ago. I lived there 55 years. There are a couple of bad areas in Clifton, but near Clifton H.S., the area is fine. Cape cods with 3 BRs and 2 Baths in decent condition are selling between $350K and $385K. One problem with Clifton just like all other surrounding towns is the high taxes. The better areas of Clifton are in the Montclair Heights section. Taxes are 10 to 15% higher in this desireable area.

The other problem is the city is very crowded with tons of illegals everywhere. A couple of the local hospitals are facing financial problems as the laws are forcing them to give away their services. Pick up a local newspaper and read the police blotter for confirmation. Many of the original
Cliftonites have left the city. Check City-Data for demographic info.

If I had a choice, I would consider Wayne or even further West. If you like Clifton that much and could afford it, I would send them to private schools like many of the teachers there have.

IMO, the Cambridge condos on Colfax avenue are a potential crematory. When there is heavy snow, the emergency fire vehicles will have a tough time getting through the very narrow streets. If there are windy conditions, there are no firebreaks between many of the buildings to keep the fire from spreading. I believe there is only one entrance and exit to these condos which can compound the problem.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:34 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,312 times
Allwood Mews is nice - that is a nice area of Clifton, but I don't like the middle school they would go to. It is not a big "ghetto"!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 PM

16 posts, read 78,658 times
i will suggest to look in other area. Clifton is ok but some parts are not good ..so really must known the area very well . Honestly i won't live there.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
I think basically the general consensus is not that Clifton is an awful town - it's not, but at 450k for a house or townhome you can certainly buy your way into what most consider a nicer town - better schools, less crime, etc. and still be right on the transit or bus line.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 PM

51 posts, read 262,249 times
I am also looking for a 3 bed/2 bath house for around $450k and based on what I have found in Clifton and surrounding areas...there don't seem to be many other options at that price range...so based on today's market I don't think you are that much off base. On the other hand...I haven't really been looking at townhomes so I could be wrong. To think that it's difficult to find a nice small home in a decent school district for almost a half a million dollars...crazy right!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
It is all about what you want. $450k will buy you a 3/2 *HOUSE* in a VERY nice town. It will be the dead bottom of the barrel of some of these towns, but much nicer than Clifton. You might even find that townhomes are more expensive than homes. Most homes here are 50+ years old. There is just not a lot of room for development.

Check out GSMLS and New Jersey MLS, Search for Homes in Northern New Jersey and try Passaic and Bergen counties. Some of the towns in these counties are to stay away from but others are just fine.

Also another consideration is taxes: at 450k taxes could be $3000 or $10,000 per year.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,510 times
Default RENASSAINCE MANOR, Clifton

How are RENASSAINCE MANOR condos. It's off Vanhauten avenue. Are the 2Bed/2bath condos in this complex around 300k worth it? Also how is the Vanhauten avenue section of Clifton? How safe and how good it is? Are the Cambridge condos talked about here is same as Renassaince manor? Thanks for your replies.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,197 times
I actually think Clifton is a decent option. Anything south of Van Houten Avenue or west of Broad Street, pretty much the 2/3 of town that comprise "southern and western clifton" and some spots north of there, will have excellent deals on classic suburban-style houses. It's really more multiple small towns than one city. The atmosphere created, very dense suburbia, is almost redolent of say, Queens. The southern part around Allwood Road is full of housing options and has easy access to Route 3, and excellent local shopping and dining.

Otherwise, try Nutley, Bloomfield, Lyndhurst, North Arlington, northern Kearny for the best for your money. Keep away from Montclair and such due to your price range.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:45 AM

267 posts, read 950,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNJ View Post
if your budget is that high dont look in clifton, not a great place to raise kids, its a basically a big ghetto
Wow, if you think Clifton is a "big ghetto", you've never been to a REAL ghetto. Clifton is NOT a ghetto by any means. Some sections are on their way down, some are still very nice, and most are somewhere in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey