U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 PM

283 posts, read 446,283 times
Default Help me Choose: East Brunswick or Edison?

What do you think? Our price range is in the 330K - 350K range. We found two homes we REALLY like that fit this criteria. One is in south edison in between rt 1 and rt 27 (washington park area) and the other is in East Brunswick right off Ryders Lane (off stratford rd).

Both are split levels that are similar in size and priced simarly and are in about the same shape. The neighborhoods seem rather similar while driving / walking through. In my opinion, here are the pros of each:

EB: better schools (no kids yet but important for the future), perhaps a more safer neighborhood although I can't say for sure as both seem safe, house is a bit more updated and would need slightly less work

Edison: this is in south edison. neighborhood seems nice although it is hard to tell. its more diverse. seems more centrally located near rt 1, 287, etc. a bit closer to my grad school, family, etc. house seems to maybe have a little nicer curb appeal and a little big larger yard. might be more walkable a neighborhood as far as being able to walk to stores, etc and there are sidewalks.

but both houses are nice! anyone have any feedback? appreciate it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM

273 posts, read 543,253 times
I'd pick EB for the schools although you are not there yet.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 AM

1,841 posts, read 4,112,705 times
I chose South Edison (about 1/2 mile north of where your talking about). Very blue collar, which i like. Everything Ive heard about the elementary schools in Edison (N vs S) sounds like they are on par with each other. There is alot of talk about JP Stevens being a much better High School if your child is a high academic acheiver but my son is only 3 so we have a ways to go still. I'm a city boy and even tho things are not as close to walk to, they are still very close by suburban standards (rt27 & rt1).

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 AM

317 posts, read 825,046 times
when you are choosing east brunswick or edison safety is the same in both towns . but taxes and schools will help you choose.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 AM

91 posts, read 137,234 times
I would choose EB over Edison. I grew up in EB and while I don't necessarily love it, the schools are great and the neighborhood you are looking into is wonderful. I grew up on Victory Place and have so many fond memories of that neighborhood and the people in it! Some are still there!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 AM

89 posts, read 208,935 times
What kind of transportation will you be taking to school and presumably work afterwards? I don't believe that EB has a train station. In addition, traffic can be a disaster by Routes 1 and 18... Just something else to consider.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 AM

317 posts, read 825,046 times
sounds like your going to move home where your heart is. As far as the transportation there in a bus park and ride off old bridge tpk you can catch the bus to the nyc there my friend takes the bus from there to nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey