Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,787 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where people get the idea that most if not all NJ beaches are no good. There are a few I would avoid. Asbury Park is run down, Point Pleasant is crowded and I would not visit Atlantic City because of the gambling - not a good family atmosphere. However, there are many very good beaches too. One of the best is Cape May. I was impressed by the way they have restored that town. The beaches are clean, the town has many Victorian style homes (and B&B's to stay in). The Cape May Zoo is a great place for kids. Here is a list of shore towns with additional information on each beach. If you take the time to look you will find many that are worth a visit.

New Jersey Tourism - The Jersey Shore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 AM

163 posts, read 431,386 times
Default Greenheads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ok, i'll bite. what's a greenhead? my only knowledge of brigantine is the castle that was once there.
Flies. Nasty, biting, relentless flies. Usually get them when the wind's blowing off of the land.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 AM

17 posts, read 55,617 times
Default Jersey beaches vs. Outer Banks

There is no real comparison in New Jersey to anything in the Outer Banks. I'm a Jersey girl, born and raised and now living in Pennsylvania. The Jersey shore is crowded and just not clean. I vacationed as a kid in Wildwood Crest every year and was appalled this year on the changes.

We've been vacationing in OBX for the past 10 years and love it. It's a very special place (especially off season). Always serene, always peaceful and always clean. No giant hotels on the beach and instead of thousands of people on every block, you might have a hundred. There is just no comparison. It's worth every minute of the drive to me.

If you want to travel even further south, check out the beaches around Charleston. They are absolutely breath taking.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
Cape May is a beautiful town but IMO, Cape May's beach isn't the best in NJ.

IMO, the best beach in NJ is Island Beach State Park which is located in Seaside Park. I wouldn't call it a surfer's beach, but it's simply beautiful and usually not crowded (no boardwalk or commercial businesses there).

Old 09-07-2008, 01:01 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post
I used to travel down to Wildwood in my younger years. It had the best of both worlds. In North Wildwood, Zabers probably had the best restaurant in all of Wildwood and Miss Kitty's featured some great live entertainment.

The main center of Wildwood (by the boardwalk) is geared more towards teens to mid 30s crowd. The boardwalk is about 2 miles long and is serviced
by a tram car. .......Watch the tram car please! Very family friendly compared to Seaside IMO.

South Wildwood attracted quieter, older folks. I believe it was dry
which helped cut down on the wild parties. Bal Harbor used to be the upscale
motel on the ocean featuring a restaurant on the first level.

Cape May has a fee for using their beaches but it is very clean. Many Victorian Homes have been restored in Cape May. "Angel of the Sea" is worth visiting. Built in 1850, the home has been converted to an Inn. It is an airy, Victorian 'painted lady.' Completely renovated in 1988 by John and Barbara Girton.
My parents would rent a home in Wildwood Crest for years when we were little growing up. I remember they paid 210 a week for a nice house only 3 blocks from the beach. We used to sneak our little dog in. We would always pass the Captains Table when walking onto the beach. They had great hot dogs and fries.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldngrl61 View Post
There is no real comparison in New Jersey to anything in the Outer Banks. I'm a Jersey girl, born and raised and now living in Pennsylvania. The Jersey shore is crowded and just not clean. I vacationed as a kid in Wildwood Crest every year and was appalled this year on the changes.

We've been vacationing in OBX for the past 10 years and love it. It's a very special place (especially off season). Always serene, always peaceful and always clean. No giant hotels on the beach and instead of thousands of people on every block, you might have a hundred. There is just no comparison. It's worth every minute of the drive to me.

If you want to travel even further south, check out the beaches around Charleston. They are absolutely breath taking.
the closest to the outer banks IMHO is LBI - parts of LBI are nicer than OBX (Kitty Hawk and Nags Head are kind of gross and way too built up, IMHO), and vice versa (Duck and Corolla are better than Loveladies/Harvey Cedars).

Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,213 times
Youre nuts. Cape May, Spring Lake, Bay Head, Island beach, Loveladies are all nicer. However Avalon is very nice, I do like the beach there. Definitely a "top 10" for NJ.

Most overrated beach in NJ is Ocean City. All the Southern NJ Eagle fanatic people who knock Northern NJ traffic/congestion come crowd this beach every summer. They swear its the best beach in America. The summertime population has to be well over 100k people if not 200k. Its as crowded as Hoboken, I dont know how people call this a "vacation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusonDechert View Post
Cape May is very nice, but the true gem of the shore is Avalon. Check out Avalon and Stone Harbor.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
The tackiest thing about the Outer Banks are those stupid oval "OBX" stickers. I think at least half of the people with those stickers on their car have never even been to the outer banks. I think in the case of those stickers, "OBX" is short for OBnoXious.

I'm sure the outer banks are nice, but I don't see the point of driving 12 hours to the beach when there are beaches much closer. I like Ocean City and Wildwood Crest, NJ. And if you're looking for something more quiet in NJ, there's always Cape May, Avalon, Stone Harbor. Or there's always the Delaware beaches, which are nice and quiet. Driving to NC to go the beach is stupid, in my opinion, especially with the high gas prices.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
The tackiest thing about the Outer Banks are those stupid oval "OBX" stickers. I think at least half of the people with those stickers on their car have never even been to the outer banks. I think in the case of those stickers, "OBX" is short for OBnoXious.

I'm sure the outer banks are nice, but I don't see the point of driving 12 hours to the beach when there are beaches much closer. I like Ocean City and Wildwood Crest, NJ. And if you're looking for something more quiet in NJ, there's always Cape May, Avalon, Stone Harbor. Or there's always the Delaware beaches, which are nice and quiet. Driving to NC to go the beach is stupid, in my opinion, especially with the high gas prices.
nah, not really. first off, it's not 12 hrs away. more like 7-8, and I'm in Northwest Jersey. secondly, even with the price of gas (which, when all was said and done, cost maybe $50 more than the shore?), you get MUCH MORE bang for your buck down there - we rented a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house with private inground pool, hottub, large EIK, large family room, full basement with TV, foosball, 4 houses from the ocean for probably 1/4 the cost of what it would in Jersey. There were 11 of us and our share was peanuts.

Thirdly, it never hurts to see different parts of the country (we went to Jockey Hollow State Park - home of the largest sand dunes on the east coast, and also went to the Wright Brothers museum) and expand your horizons a bit.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,213 times
Tahiti, your arguing with a typical "OUUUUSHHINN CITY IS HEAVEN AND THE IGGLES ARE THE BEST TEAM EVER" type individual. Many (not all) in the Philly metro tend to be closeminded and live in a tight bubble that they feel is superior to everywhere else in the country. Dont even bother, enjoy Hatteras and the silence from no E-A-G-L-E-S chants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
nah, not really. first off, it's not 12 hrs away. more like 7-8, and I'm in Northwest Jersey. secondly, even with the price of gas (which, when all was said and done, cost maybe $50 more than the shore?), you get MUCH MORE bang for your buck down there - we rented a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house with private inground pool, hottub, large EIK, large family room, full basement with TV, foosball, 4 houses from the ocean for probably 1/4 the cost of what it would in Jersey. There were 11 of us and our share was peanuts.

Thirdly, it never hurts to see different parts of the country (we went to Jockey Hollow State Park - home of the largest sand dunes on the east coast, and also went to the Wright Brothers museum) and expand your horizons a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey