Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 50,799 times

Advertisements

I am asking on behalf of my wife. She began her claim exactly 12 months ago. She was put on part time by her employer giving her 6 hours a week to do his bookkeeping. Things like payroll, sales tax, balancing monthly statements and accounts payable. Because she has done this job for 13 years it is like second nature to her. She began tier II on September 19th. It is one year since she first signed up for unemployment and now she filed a new claim because her year is up. When she called today because she hasn't received her check, the woman told her she had to wait until the 16th of October before they can put a tracer on the check that was issued last Friday. But while on the phone the woman checked about a new claim because of the old year has ended. She told my wife that she is entitled to the new year even though she is working for her employer 6 hours because she and her employer agreed to those terms. And that he would not be charged for her unemployment. If she is still collecting at the end of this tier and still working 6 hours a week will she be entitled to collect EB?
I looked through the forum but could not find a similar question about reduced hours working. Thank you for a most informative forum that covers most subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM

336 posts, read 1,293,229 times
At your one year mark of collecting unemployment you must "re-open" your claim. You can do this over the phone or go down to the unemployment office. Do not try to do this on line you might open a new claim and you don't want to do that. You must let them know that you are at you one year mark of collecting unemployment. It took me 3 phones calls to find someone you understood what I was talking about. Everyone must do this, you can find more information on this in the lttle blue book you received when you 1st started unemployment.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM

16,948 posts, read 12,498,269 times
Interesting. THis will be for me too. 1st 6 months will last me about 10 months due to a different part time job.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:02 AM

208 posts, read 551,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0706772 View Post
At your one year mark of collecting unemployment you must "re-open" your claim. You can do this over the phone or go down to the unemployment office. Do not try to do this on line you might open a new claim and you don't want to do that. You must let them know that you are at you one year mark of collecting unemployment. It took me 3 phones calls to find someone you understood what I was talking about. Everyone must do this, you can find more information on this in the lttle blue book you received when you 1st started unemployment.
if it took 3 calls, why not go for it online? this assumes that we know what we're doing of course

Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodywantsme View Post
if it took 3 calls, why not go for it online? this assumes that we know what we're doing of course

Because -- as the many who have attempted this will attest -- the on line system will reject all attempts to do it on line.

Contrary to the instructions posted several places by NJ DOL, their on line system does not accept re-certification after the one-year anniversary.

You MUST deal with a person who checks your account and re-certifies you at that time.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,476,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post

Because -- as the many who have attempted this will attest -- the on line system will reject all attempts to do it on line.

Contrary to the instructions posted several places by NJ DOL, their on line system does not accept re-certification after the one-year anniversary.

You MUST deal with a person who checks your account and re-certifies you at that time.

I can certainly attest to that!

I did this in January 2009. What an unbelievable mess it was to fix, too!

Under no circumstances should anyone in NJ attempt to re-open their claim online. Filing a brand-new claim or claiming weekly benefits is all the online system can handle.

I know the site says "File a new claim" or "re-open your existing claim" BUT you still cannot re-open successfully. This error and many others on the NJDOL website has probably been responsible for a lot of extra phone calls that could be avoided if they would update the site properly.

1 year on claim = phone call to agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: