Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times

Advertisements

This message is probably too late, but if you go to Point Pleasant, make sure to check out the town and then drive by the beach. Ocean Gate is south of Toms River. From Ocean Gate, you would have to get to Rt. 37 south and cross the bridge over the bay and stay to your left towards Point Pleasant (Ortley Beach, Lavallette, etc). There are other ways to get there; this ride is along the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times
Not so much on the scenary no matter how you go. Trees and highway. The Pines strectch to the Ocean. I would strongly agree with the suggestion of Rehoboth Beach. It is extremely artsy funky and, unlike most shore towns, is much more year round. Delaware beaches are peninsulas unlike NJ's barrier islands so much more established retial survives. Rehoboth is about 50% glbt but everyone gets along well. It will triple in size by summer, of course.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 AM

315 posts, read 871,191 times
Yeah TomsRiver- -that is a larger town near the shore- not a small beach town- Its a nice town 12 months a yr. -
But dont think you can walk out your door to the sand.

Most of the "steps to the sand" towns are only "lively" for a few months of summer- which is fine with me- - the peace and qiot after season makes for a nice fall/winter with the real locals
You can try Belmar- -and of course Alantic City is probaby lively
I dont go down to the wildwood area too often- -(its really far from here)

Old 01-27-2010, 05:26 PM

12 posts, read 31,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhWhereToGo? View Post
So today I'm going to take a drive up and around the central (northern?) Jersey coast. I'm thinking I should start at Point Pleasant, then travel north, making sure to hit Manasquan, Belmar, Avon, Bradley, Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, Allenhurst, Long Branch, Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright. Where is Ocean Gate? Is it closer to Toms River? Should I start down there? Is there anything I must see to get a feel for one of those areas? Rt 35 and Ocean Ave are good to take? What is a good place to have a late lunch in one of those towns? Thanks! Any scenic routes to take from Philly to there and back?

rt 70 is about as scenic of a route from philly to the shore...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
What is a good place to have a late lunch in one of those towns? Thanks! Any scenic routes to take from Philly to there and back?
Route 70/37 on the way out and Route 537 on the way back.

so how did it go?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I agree with you there. My parents live in Brick and they are in their 70's as are a lot of other residents near them....definitely NOT funky.
My grandmother when alive lived in Toms River. She was in her 90s. There are many senior communities there , so I found not call that a Funky Beach Town.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

15 posts, read 44,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Very often overlooked is the bay shore area. Homes in neighbor hoods on the Raritan Bay. From Perth Amboy to Atlantic Highlands.

Additionally a greatly reduced rental and or purchase price is reflected.
I drove through Atlantic Highlands (and/or "Highlands") today. I had no idea something existed like this in NJ. Hills + waterfront = I didn't go much farther north than that, though. Is the topography similar on other parts of the bay?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
I drove through Atlantic Highlands (and/or "Highlands") today. I had no idea something existed like this in NJ. Hills + waterfront = I didn't go much farther north than that, though. Is the topography similar on other parts of the bay?
It's pretty neat down there. Nautical atmosphere, but also year-round, and really not touristy at all. There are a few bars/restaurants on the water that I pull up to in my boat to enjoy seafood and margaritas in the summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey