Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM

286 posts, read 851,207 times

Advertisements

Did he or you get a job in NYC? I agree with poster. Why leave North Carolina? NJ is much more expensive with higher taxes. Just move closer to the shore in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM

33 posts, read 79,313 times
Sure Monmouth County is closer to NYC, but if they are just going there periodically for a Broadway show or something, one county further away, Ocean County, will save you at least 10% below what the same place would cost in Monmouth. I moved from Wanamassa in Monmouth County to Bayville in Ocean County and saved almost half. And I'm only 2 minutes to the Parkway.

Like other poster said, NJ is much more expensive than NC. Have you looked into the Myrtle Beach area? We live in NJ now but are hoping to move to NC by the summer. Maybe we can just switch houses. lol

Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 PM

19 posts, read 32,992 times
yes, agree with the others, nj is significantly more expensive than nc. you need to decide about the city or the shore. and being in a town directly off the parkway will help you even more get to the other one.

apartments are in many towns but the cost of an apartment in a wealthy town will most likely be very expensive. i would just make sure not to move into a town where the residents are snobs. there are many towns that view certain apartment areas as "ghettos" because the town may be filled with million dollar houses.

a great place to move would be point pleasant. its very small, good schools, close to the beach. its right next to point pleasant beach, but i wouldnt go there just because of chaos in the summer(although point pleasant still gets congested) and then the transiant rentals in the winter. if you could find somewhere on the east side of the canal, you could ride a bike to the beach. if you dont have to be close to the city for a daily commute, it would be a better choice to be more south for a better price.

also, point pleasant has many 2 bedroom houses still, sometimes you can find one of those for rent. if you can afford the slightly higher monthly costs associated with renting a housing vs apt, it might be a chance to have a yard too. rentals for a 2 bedroom will probaly be $1200+. heat and hot water usually included in an apartment.

but again, know the costs. you pro

Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 32,992 times
oh and dont forget that to actually get on the beach, you have to pay. some of them are $8 a day!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 AM

26 posts, read 68,840 times
If you go for an apartment, double check heat being in the rent. Sometimes heat is an extra charge and you pay it directly to the utility or if an oil tank, get your tank filled. Paying for heat will certainly drive up your living cost here in NJ.
As for my opinion, do not purchase a condo in a building which was originally built as an apartment complex. They were not built for the purpose of condo and you could be disappointed in the end.

Do not leave NC if you do not have to. And if you do, be prepared for very high cost of living in NJ. Do not feel shy to ask employer for higher than you make in NC - at least try to get it. Knew person from Louisiana who didn't know our higher cost of living, asked for salary as what she was paid in Louisiana for same type of job and then her eyes bugged open when she found out cost of heating, taxes, etc. She said to me "Had I known, I would have asked for a higher salary."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey