Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Why should anyone get vacation, holidays, benefits, retirement? Get rid of all of it, pay people minimum wage so the fat cats at the top can make more money and create more jobs (?). I'm with Badfish, this "race to the bottom" mentality is really disturbing and disgusting.

I guarantee you if we all started picking apart what you haters made and the bennies you get you wouldn't like it one bit. Who would like to start and tell us your situation?
As I've posted before, if anyone doesn't like the products and services my private sector employer provides, they are free to stop paying.

This simple but effective remedy is not available to tax payers.

Also, most of these benefits are just fine with the exception of defined benefit plans (I'd be fine with them having 401k plans). Defined benefit plans would be fine if they were ever properly funded, but they never are (you can't "assume" an 8% return into existence -- that assumption offloads a lot of stock market risk onto the tax payer). They are invariably used as a way for politicians to kick the can down the road -- always effective politically, but terrible for tax payers.

Another issue with the benefits is that the systems are clearly being gamed at the tax payers expense. For example, unused sick days are not supposed to be used as a kind of windfall bonus package. They are supposed to be a safety net if the worker gets sick. Few think these workers shouldn't have sick days, what is infuriating is that these policies are being abused at our expense.

Again, nothing wrong with benefits, but the fact that these packages are gamed at the tax payer expense indicates that the politicians weren't very effective advocates for the tax payer when they signed those deals on our behalf.

Last edited by elflord1973; 02-05-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Again, nothing wrong with benefits, but the fact that these packages are gamed at the tax payer expense indicates that the politicians weren't very effective advocates for the tax payer when they signed those deals on our behalf.
Well said!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Well said!
I agree, Elflord's post was fantastic.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Why should anyone get vacation, holidays, benefits, retirement? Get rid of all of it, pay people minimum wage so the fat cats at the top can make more money and create more jobs (?). I'm with Badfish, this "race to the bottom" mentality is really disturbing and disgusting.

I guarantee you if we all started picking apart what you haters made and the bennies you get you wouldn't like it one bit. Who would like to start and tell us your situation?

That's not the issue, Tahiti. The issue is, why should all the folks riding in the canoe, get a better deal than the one's paddling?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,559 times
Default Thanks for your post

Federal employee, vs Teacher's salaries:
Here's the scope

My relatives children receive FULL bene's until age 21, we're talking, Eye, Health, Life and Dental here...
No payment into bene's by my relative, Oh, must update, Rx's now from $3 to
$5 for non-brand...

My husband, a Federal employee pays, $500,monthly, for all of the above, Dental is EXTRA, depending on need, and we pay an add'l $250 monthly for the Lipitor med's. All of this is not including the add'l ( cancer ) insurance we pay to a private insurer.

Thanks for allowing me to rant

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-08-2010 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: No signatures.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM

32 posts, read 67,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Wrong again Mr. Expert. All it take is a good administration and they can be gone as well.
Mod cutI have never seen one teacher that I work with ever be fired. In 11 years, I have come across some truely awful teachers too. The worst are the ones who have just gotten so burned out. They have five or more years to go before retirement and they just do not care if their kids learn. Tenure is very unhealthy in my opinion. Not many teachers will tell you this, but I think it actually works against students.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-08-2010 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawm View Post
Mod cutI have never seen one teacher that I work with ever be fired. In 11 years, I have come across some truely awful teachers too. The worst are the ones who have just gotten so burned out. They have five or more years to go before retirement and they just do not care if their kids learn. Tenure is very unhealthy in my opinion. Not many teachers will tell you this, but I think it actually works against students.

Well then I guess you havent work with a good administration. Sorry if that offends you an administration that was trying to better the school and children would go after these peoples tenure. Well I guess because you havent seen it happen it most likely not possible.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:22 PM

32 posts, read 67,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Well then I guess you havent work with a good administration. Sorry if that offends you an administration that was trying to better the school and children would go after these peoples tenure. Well I guess because you havent seen it happen it most likely not possible.
Are you a teacher?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I am a high school science teacher and I have been for 5 years. I have a masters degree in my field which I earned at a university and not online. I work at one of the public elites and am a great teacher. I go above and beyond every single day. I work summers unpaid to help my students study for SAT II's, do individual research projects (I got one of my students pubished in a scientific research journal) or go on academic team competitions. I spend 2-3 non-contract hours a day setting up labs, grading papers or planning lessons.

I am also not going to be a teacher much longer. The state of NJ finances is surely disastrous but I have done nothing to cause that yet I am demonized in the press literally daily. I am highly educated, I work incredibly hard and I will be going back to work in the private sector where I will make more money and do less work; I know this because I worked in my field for 5 years before I turned to teaching. I will miss my students, I will miss helping them achieve more than they thought they could but I will not miss being thought of as some sort of lazy, money grubbing cancer. I am also not alone. There are three other teachers in my school with less than 10 years in who will be leaving as well. All hard working but frustrated people. Good luck finding people who care about our children and their success when you vilify them constantly.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawm View Post
Actually the site is somewhat off when it comes to salaries. I'm a teacher (please don't kill me). It lists my salary as $74,698. I just had a bump in the salary guide because I recently completed a graduate course...more credits = more money. I actually make $83,998. I've been teaching for 11 years and have my masters plus 15 credits.
You make almost as much as someone at the top of the guide in my district, including someone who has a PhD. I work at one of the county academies, where the teachers are fairly well paid. I find it hard to believe you are making 20k more than a teacher at my school with 20 years of experience and a doctorate (and not an online one BTW) but maybe you are at Holmdel or one of the other very wealthy districts. Even so you are by no means the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey