U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:52 PM

244 posts, read 758,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Let's put it this way- I'm currently finishing our basement, doing all the work myself other than HVAC, and it's going to cost around $18,000 for 750 sf of finished space. That includes a full bath (plumbing already under the slab by the builder), 8'10" drywall ceilings, 12' of cabinets for a wet bar, separate zone of AC with electric heat (you'd want to go with gas in NJ- we're in GA) and construction of a bedroom, bathroom, game area and family room. If I were to have the work done, I'd be looking at around $40-45,000.
Sounds wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 AM

30 posts, read 63,366 times
Default basement

I have a house that is about 3900 sq ft. Basement is 1700 sq ft to get 1200 sq ft finished leaving some for storage it runs between 12 - 15000. This is with a couple closets, ceiling and walls. Floors I would have another company do. From talking to people in my neighborhood who have just had their basements finished some by the same company. The Basement Company. They were running at the same price. You can look them up on line for a dealer that does your area.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM

132 posts, read 377,588 times
My builder charged 23k for finished basement (no rooms or closet) and 7k for full bath. I did not go with the builder. Had it done later with contractor.

Bids came in between 30-50k. Lower bids did not include flooring. Higher bids included flooring. My specs were recessed lights through out, sconces on walls, laminate floors, 1/2 bath (includes sump pump), 2 closets, and 1 sizeable room. 1500 sq ft total. HVAC was simple as it used the same ducts servicing 1st floor. Only draw back was no separate control for basement.

Finally went with a contractor who did the work and included most of the materials, ie: framing, electrical, plumbing, drywall, painting, floor installation, bathroom installation, etc.
I bought all the light fixtures (found sales at Lowes), laminate flooring (online), closet shelves, couple of french doors (HomeDepot), bathroom stuff (Lowes coupon)- toilet, vanity, sink, faucet, mirror, tiles. Also had contractor install cabinets next to fridge for kitchenette area.

The purpose of my finished basement was additional living space but mainly for the kids to hang out, watch tv, school projects, friends coming over, etc. For gatherings, all the kids play downstairs. In the future, the large enclosed room can be used as an office or gym. A large open section can easily accomodate a pool table and still have the tv area and dinette area on the other side.

Total cost was 24k done with permits.

Bought my wife an IRobot to vacumn the basement. Basement is very clean, she is happy, I am happy.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:30 PM

13 posts, read 37,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2do4now View Post
My builder charged 23k for finished basement (no rooms or closet) and 7k for full bath. I did not go with the builder. Had it done later with contractor.

Bids came in between 30-50k. Lower bids did not include flooring. Higher bids included flooring. My specs were recessed lights through out, sconces on walls, laminate floors, 1/2 bath (includes sump pump), 2 closets, and 1 sizeable room. 1500 sq ft total. HVAC was simple as it used the same ducts servicing 1st floor. Only draw back was no separate control for basement.

Finally went with a contractor who did the work and included most of the materials, ie: framing, electrical, plumbing, drywall, painting, floor installation, bathroom installation, etc.
I bought all the light fixtures (found sales at Lowes), laminate flooring (online), closet shelves, couple of french doors (HomeDepot), bathroom stuff (Lowes coupon)- toilet, vanity, sink, faucet, mirror, tiles. Also had contractor install cabinets next to fridge for kitchenette area.

The purpose of my finished basement was additional living space but mainly for the kids to hang out, watch tv, school projects, friends coming over, etc. For gatherings, all the kids play downstairs. In the future, the large enclosed room can be used as an office or gym. A large open section can easily accomodate a pool table and still have the tv area and dinette area on the other side.

Total cost was 24k done with permits.

Bought my wife an IRobot to vacumn the basement. Basement is very clean, she is happy, I am happy.

Hi. Don't know how to PM here or if it exists. Anyway, is it possible for you to tell me if your RE taxes went up and by how much? Which part of NJ? How much for the permits? Also, do you have copy of your permit application as I'm planning on submitting one and I'm researching how detailed an approved one needs to be; e.g. circuit diagram, wattage on electrical especiall. Sorry for the multiple questions and thanks

Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,445,680 times
I live in a 1600 SQ ft house 2 story built in 2002. Basement was not finished, but came with lighting (4 bulb sockets spaced out), 3 electric ports. All I did was put Berber carpet in (installed by Home depot) for 1 grand. Its perfect! I dont need a bathroom (I can walk upstairs). I dont need a drop ceiling. I dont need walls drywalled. Kids play down here, office down here, excercise down here, all for $1K.

You dont need to spend much to enjoy a basement.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 AM

599 posts, read 1,042,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I don't know of any ball parks that have basements, much less finished ones...

(sorry, I just couldn't resist)

This is a basement with a ball park...

morning humor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey