U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 15,528 times
Default failed inspection because of a window not working properly...

Of all the things wrong with my car that I thought I could get failed for, they rejected my car because my power window on the driver side doesn't always work the greatest...or in the case of last week not at all.

Which would be expected if I'm not the one in the driver seat...it will go down without a problem, but will tend to get stuck when I want to put it back up sometimes...but regardless I'm not sure why they even would check such a thing.

Does anyone know if such a problem is actually reason enough to fail a car for inspection? Or if its customary to check windows as part of a car inspection?

I certainly figured that kind of thing to be a personal choice on whether or not to repair such a thing, seeing it really poses no safety risk.

Well, any advice or opinions would be helpful.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM

555 posts, read 947,971 times
It's probably considered a safety hazard... you know, for those times when you drive into a lake and need to roll down your window really fast to swim out!

Mine once failed inspection because the car horn didn't work... and here I thought less horn honking in Jersey would be a good thing!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 15,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
It's probably considered a safety hazard... you know, for those times when you drive into a lake and need to roll down your window really fast to swim out!

Mine once failed inspection because the car horn didn't work... and here I thought less horn honking in Jersey would be a good thing!

Yeah, I know where you're coming from but I guess my problem is in that my window was already open, if they claim its a hazard for when I next drive into a lake/pond/ocean....well they didnt check to see that it goes down flawlessly everytime...its just the putting it back up part that it has trouble with.

I suppose i could just go there again and explain that to them...and hope they realize how dumb they're being...it's not like they make any money by failing cars for stupid reasons like that.

anyways thanks for the input.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM

510 posts, read 1,146,036 times
NJ is entirely too interested in our cars. Nanny state is a term for a reason.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM

555 posts, read 947,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoetter View Post
Yeah, I know where you're coming from but I guess my problem is in that my window was already open, if they claim its a hazard for when I next drive into a lake/pond/ocean....well they didnt check to see that it goes down flawlessly everytime...its just the putting it back up part that it has trouble with.

I suppose i could just go there again and explain that to them...and hope they realize how dumb they're being...it's not like they make any money by failing cars for stupid reasons like that.

anyways thanks for the input.
Ahhh... well then you have a problem with those freak softball sized hail storms... imagine... driving along... minding your own business... then BAM! Those suckers start pelting you throw your open window! Completely defenseless and unable to roll up your window your repeatedly struck in the head leaving you dazed... confused... you begin to swerve, bouncing off other cars... and back into the lake

Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM

6,990 posts, read 7,689,140 times
The same thing happens with my window - lowers flawlessly but is a little skippy going up. Hey, my car passed and that's all that counts. Baseball size hail aside, I'd rather have the window stuck in the open position because when I drive into a lake, the car's electrical system will fail and none of the windows will work.

As nemmert said, it's probably considered a hazard. Since the car failed because of the window, I'm pretty sure that it won't pass until you can demonstrate that the window moves.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM

6,515 posts, read 4,307,641 times
I once failed because my digital odometer didn't work. That made no sense to me. I called the state, and they also didn't get it - they had me go to a "special" inspection station, the one where you go if you have tinted windows, big tires, some other weird thing regular inspection stations don't do (for me in south jersey, the "special" station was Atco, not sure where it is up north). Anyway, I passed at that one.

Since it was privatized, they fail cars for most anything (I fail every 2 years for my gas cap, next time I'm going to replace it before I go). They get double the money for every failed car, as the state gets charged every time you have to go back whether they have to do the full inspection again or not.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 AM

216 posts, read 281,915 times
I failed because my windshield wipers needed to be replaced! I could see fine when it rained. Freaking thing cost $5 and 5 secs to replace. After 2 hours of waiting I failed for something like that!

So I am not surprised you failed for that. Just get it fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey