Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 41,152 times

Advertisements

I'll try and make this as brief as possible: my wife and I are looking for someplace to live, possibly in New Jersey. Here's the background: we moved to Avenel (right on the Union/Middlesex border) last May, and we hate it there. We grew up in Westchester County, NY and the area we're in right now is not what we want to live in at all, demographically speaking (ie we want to live in a middle class, predominantly white area - just trying to be honest). I'd like for us to move back to Westchester, but the cost of living there might be a bit much (though probably not overwhelming, we both make in the $65k range). So if not there then we'd like to move as close to it as possible.

I hear really good things about Bergen, but also hear it's really expensive, like Westchester level. I hear good things about Hoboken, but hear that the rest of Hudson County isn't that great either. Long Island and CT are pretty much out, and Putnam County, NY is a possibility but this IS the New Jersey forum. I know basically nothing about what any area in NJ is like, but I know for sure that I want to be further north, have easy train access to NYC for work, and not go broke. Good schools aren't an immediate concern as we don't have kids yet, but it would come up eventually. If somebody could please give me advice on some towns or general areas we might want to look at, please let me know. We haven't decided if we want to rent or buy, but it might be wiser to rent for a year to make sure we like a place before buying, so we'd be open to either possibility.

Thank you for any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM

89 posts, read 444,729 times
I would get on the GSMLS or realtor.com and search for houses within your budget in Somerset, Passaic and Morris counties...

Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
yeah, passaic county might be what you are looking for, as well as some town bordering, but not in the same county.
try Totowa, West Paterson, Wayne, cedar grove, wanaque, wyckoff

sorry--west paterson AKA Woodland park

Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,308 times
Do you commute into NYC every day for work?

If you're intent on buying, you're not going to find Westchester-quality on your budget, just being honest. Renting gives you more options.

Check out Colonia, Cranford, Maplewood, South Orange ... those would be the first ideas that come to mind.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
What about somewhere in the bergen or main train line in Bergen county.....?

NJ TRANSIT Rail Lines Map

Also Midland Park could be a good choice, but it has no train. This is where we live...

No idea what Westchester costs...?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
What about somewhere in the bergen or main train line in Bergen county.....?

NJ TRANSIT Rail Lines Map

Also Midland Park could be a good choice, but it has no train. This is where we live...

No idea what Westchester costs...?
I lived in Midland Park for most of my life, until last June. It's true that there is no train, but you can catch the 164 bus that runs through the main street and take it to the Ridgewood train station for free if you hold a NJ Transit Monthly train ticket. It takes about six minutes from the center of town, across from the police station., to get to the train.

Another nice Passaic County town bordering Bergen County is Hawthorne. Has a train station AND parking for residents with a $2.00-per-year sticker.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 PM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereitsat42 View Post
I hear good things about Hoboken, but hear that the rest of Hudson County isn't that great either.
What about Bayonne? Nice area, safe, close to everything, not too pricey. May want to look there.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I lived in Midland Park for most of my life, until last June. It's true that there is no train, but you can catch the 164 bus that runs through the main street and take it to the Ridgewood train station for free if you hold a NJ Transit Monthly train ticket. It takes about six minutes from the center of town, across from the police station., to get to the train.

Another nice Passaic County town bordering Bergen County is Hawthorne. Has a train station AND parking for residents with a $2.00-per-year sticker.
i didn't know this about the free ride to the train station down godwin ...., very cool!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
What about Westfield?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i didn't know this about the free ride to the train station down godwin ...., very cool!
If you don't have a monthly ticket it's $1.35 or something like that. On the way home you catch it on the other side of Wilsey Square. There's a bus stop sign in front of the podiatrist office, near the mailbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey