Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:32 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
Hi all. I am moving from Westchester Co. in NY and I have found an apartment I looove in believe it or not.. Newark!!! It is spacious, clean, has washer/ dryer hook up-- plenty of closet space, and it is affordable!!!

I am not naive and I realize there are drugs and other crime in Newark. But it seems to be like most metro cities in the US. I felt like when I was there searching that it is an environment that if you mind your own business, stay in and be smart.... life will be ok.

My concern is I have small children (two are school age). Are there ANY good schools there? Surrounding the apartment are other families and single persons who have nice apartments and work hard.

My kids safety is #1 so are the horror stories exaggerated? Does anyone have any personal accounts?

Thanks for reading and any responses!!!
================

I did not want to say this but I guess its time I let the cat out the bag - the reason one of my friends who bought a new house on South Munn Ave by the Vailsburg park is trying to move out is because - her place has been broken into twice and now to add insult to injury - about less than a month ago a 13yr old kid (Naeemah Jackson) was shot point blank in the neck by some gang kids who were going through their usual initiation rites.

They will be holding a South Munn Ave residents care day on August 7th to honor this little kid who was walking home from the corner store and never made it back home.

Why things like this hardly get broadcast in the news I do not know but it is worth being covered IMO.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Something new would be starting a new thread. This one has stood the test of time and will continue to do so. New people will show up and post, people like myself who have posted before will post (you'll post). You seem to hate this but people who want to say something be it good or bad will definitely post
Hate it? Not really. Just no originality here. Not just on this thread-there are four or five just like it going at once. These threads are filled with the same post over and over. It's like a stencil on every other post-with slightly different wording. (I can't be the only one noticing)

Where is the histronicorange guy? Now that was inspired.
I really do need to stop pining for the good ole days on here and start looking for a new hobby!!

Last edited by cyntmac; 08-02-2007 at 11:20 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 12:11 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
Hi all. I am moving from Westchester Co. in NY and I have found an apartment I looove in believe it or not.. Newark!!! It is spacious, clean, has washer/ dryer hook up-- plenty of closet space, and it is affordable!!!

I am not naive and I realize there are drugs and other crime in Newark. But it seems to be like most metro cities in the US. I felt like when I was there searching that it is an environment that if you mind your own business, stay in and be smart.... life will be ok.

My concern is I have small children (two are school age). Are there ANY good schools there? Surrounding the apartment are other families and single persons who have nice apartments and work hard.

My kids safety is #1 so are the horror stories exaggerated? Does anyone have any personal accounts?

Thanks for reading and any responses!!!
Please reconsider. I was born in Newark and lived there until I was 7, then the RIOTS came.We moved to the suburbs, but I have gone into Newark a lot for various reasons over the years. Let me tell you something ..No matter what they tell you, no matter what new building they put up (including that Arts Center, what a joke),even if they are trying to purchase a Major league baseball team, etc. The city is a HELLHOLE, pure and simple. It is what it is..some major companies remain in downtown such as Prudential, Blue Cross but all in all it is a Ghetto. I had to go to the Social Security office and feared for my life. I am a white, middle-aged woman, by the way. Please don't inflict that environment on your children. I believe you when you say that your kids are #1 priority, heed the advice you are reading. Stay clear.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:33 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
If your kid's safety was truly number 1- would you really set your sights on Newark? Come on people. Use common sense. If you did not have young kids and found some sense of community for yourself in Newark then it might make some kind of sense to consider this.

Newark is home to many people who stay smart and try to mind their business. Your streetsmarts are not the issue. I have already stated this on another identical thread. AND I MEAN IDENTICAL thread. The issues going in Newark and places like it run deep and are rooted in institutional bias. These threads do not even scratch the surface in regard to examining that. The hometown of the OP(whoever they are) is most likely nothing like Newark. Therefore, they have few experiences that are relatable and have no idea of the big picture. People who have been marginalized don't need thier existence trivialized on thread after thread. You have to bother to look at the world as you know it differently to begin to understand what is really going on in the Brick City(and some other places just like it). That takes some effort if you come from a different type of place and life. Why not challenge yourself a bit?

Last edited by cyntmac; 08-04-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,751 times
Hi Sweetz,

Did you make the move yet to Newark? I am also planning on moving to Newark, but to keep hearing this is scaring me.

Dee

Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Newark if full of sociopaths who think nothing of taking human life in the course of random robberies or other attacks. Mayor Booker seems like a genuinely good guy, and I wish him the best, but he is just out of his depth right now, and the situation is getting worse.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Newark if full of sociopaths who think nothing of taking human life in the course of random robberies or other attacks. Mayor Booker seems like a genuinely good guy, and I wish him the best, but he is just out of his depth right now, and the situation is getting worse.
google newark and read about the four kids shot yesterday

Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Yeah, that's a horrendous story. And it exposes the lie that "gangbangers only kill gangbangers." Well, no. Those dead kids WEREN'T gangbangers. They were innocents. But they lived in Newark, and unfortunately, Newark is not a safe place for human life.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Lightbulb yhwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
google newark and read about the four kids shot yesterday
It's tragic, even though it sounds like it may have been personal. But I raised my kid there in the Weequahic neighborhood and was blessed, but of course this was 1980, anyways it's just as bad in SC. I hear of more crime on a daily basis. it's just not as many people

Old 08-08-2007, 03:10 PM

44 posts, read 163,188 times
Default Omg....

As someone who has lived in Newark most of his life, I can tell you with certainty that I've been to every major avenue/street in Newark. There are parts I wouldn't live in if you paid me, and there are parts I would consider living in. Some parts of North Newark (i.e. Forrest Hills) are very nice, but are expensive. There are still some Irish and Italians living there, but it's mostly Hispanics there now. But it is still nice. The Ironbound in the East Ward is still very nice and clean, with a two block project at the end of town (though those folks know their place and will not spill over, otherwise cops will ascend faster than a fat guy with a cheeseburger). The rest of North Newark has been on a major decline (which is why I moved out) and Ironbound was really just too expensive to live there.

So unlike these suburbanites who have never been to Newark other than perhaps the airport, I can say with certainty that Newark's gang problem has taken over the whole city. Yeah sure, it's got some nice parts, but if you aint living there, you better off living someplace else. And public schools??? LOL. Dad worked for the Board of Ed, and sent my ass to Catholic School. That should tell you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey