U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 AM

291 posts, read 873,832 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are burger fanatics and are looking for the perfect burger in NJ. We live in Bergen County, but since Jersey's not too big, we're willing to drive all the way to Cape May if we have to.

In Bergen County, we've tried White Manna in Hackensack (delicious little sliders!), Five Guys (great burgers/great fries), and Iron Horse in Westwood (simply irresistable...)

Never been to South Jersey, but I hear they've got some unbelievable burger joints there too!

So waddya got?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,264,163 times
Yes, White Manna is best for sliders. Five Guys is excellent but it's from DC so I am loathe to call it one of "NJ's" best. Iron Horse is OK but I don't think they're anything special, but most people I know say the same thing you did about Iron Horse, that it's so awesome; I just don't see it, to me it's OK but nothing great. Davey's Locker in Montvale has excellent burgers.

The Fireplace in Paramus is very good for a very simple burger. There's not much else that I can think of other than chains like 5 Guys; if we're including chains, the best burger is at Houston's.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM

60 posts, read 167,028 times
If you want a "meal type" burger I recommend Pal's Cabin in West Orange.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM

47,110 posts, read 47,119,548 times
I think Iron Horse in Westwood was the one that won "Best Burger" in The Record's survey a few years back, but I've never been there.

I love The Fireplace.

If you do go to Cape May, I remember having a good burger at The Ugly Mug.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 AM

607 posts, read 758,851 times
Try Bogie's in Whippany on Rte 10

Bogey's - Whippany, NJ

Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM

12,746 posts, read 23,349,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
My brother and I are burger fanatics and are looking for the perfect burger in NJ. We live in Bergen County, but since Jersey's not too big, we're willing to drive all the way to Cape May if we have to.

In Bergen County, we've tried White Manna in Hackensack (delicious little sliders!), Five Guys (great burgers/great fries), and Iron Horse in Westwood (simply irresistable...)

Never been to South Jersey, but I hear they've got some unbelievable burger joints there too!

So waddya got?
What makes a burger the best for you???

I prefer real fresh chop meat versus those frozen patties many places use now. juicy with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sauteed onions....

Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 AM

42 posts, read 135,504 times
Bobby Flay's burger palace at the Monmouth Mall makes a damn tasty burger! Without a doubt one of the best i've had.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM

1,529 posts, read 5,008,170 times
check out these threads for some suggestions:

Mod cut

New Jersey's best burgers: Where Are They Now? - New Jersey - Chowhound
one of the bergen county recommendations mentioned in this thread, along with white manna and the iron horse, is pj finnegans in westwood. i've never been to this pub, though, so i can't vouch for their food.

Guide to Sliders in Northern New Jersey | A Hamburger Today
great guide to sliders in northern nj.

Juicy But Unseasoned Burger from Rossi's Bar and Grill in Trenton, New Jersey | A Hamburger Today
rossi's bar and grill in trenton is an old-school pub with some of the most famous burgers in the state, but the reviewer in the link above didn't seem too crazy about their food due to a lack of seasoning. they're also known for their (off-menu) homemade potato chips. i've been wanting to check it out for a long time, but now i'm not so sure after reading that review. at the very least, it seems like a cool place to get a sense of what trenton used to be like. closed on sundays.

some other reviews of rossi's:
Hamburger America: Rossi's Bar & Grill in Trenton, New Jersey | A Hamburger Today
Rossi's Bar & Grill Trenton NJ - New Jersey - Chowhound

and then there is stage left in downtown new brunswick, which is supposed to have an excellent cheeseburger made with steak trimmings:
In New Brunswick, New Jersey, Stage Left Makes Burgers from Steak Scraps | A Hamburger Today

finally, there's boom burger in belmar, which is another place that i haven't been to but has received some hype:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/boom-belmar

i should also mention that fatburger, an LA-based burger chain that had a branch at exchange place in jersey city, recently closed that location. the food at the JC fatburger was never as good as the ones in LA - apparently because they used frozen rather than fresh beef. still, i was under the impression that it was quite popular, so i was surprised to hear of its shuttering.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-09-2010 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: No links to blogs

Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM

2,705 posts, read 6,936,499 times
Tumulty's Pub in New Brunswick is great.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM

173 posts, read 738,074 times
In Bergen County, a bar named the Dutch House in Fair Lawn serves one of the best burgers I've ever had. It's a big burger.

Also, in Bergen, the Allandale Bar & Grill is good for all kinds of food, including burger.

I love White Manna's.

Pal's Cabin -- not so hot.

Five Guys -- very decent for a chain but yeah, like BC Johnny said, it's a chain.

Fireplace -- I love the rustic ambiance, food is pretty good, not great. Best milkshakes of the bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or