Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I hate the fact that Christie lied to us , He said he was going to cut taxes , you can't do that during these times , it just doesn't work. Now hes cutting transit and Education Funding , and the has the balls to say it won't affect anything, oh plz Christie at least tell us the truth the fares will go up and service cuts, + thousands of teachers laided off. Just Raise the gas tax slightly , clean u p the Education Pork and we should be able to get through this nicely. I hope he gets throw out of office and i hope my fellow New Jerseyites Protest in the streets , we aren't gonna take it

~Corey
Don't recall him saying that..said he would not raise taxes but not holding my breath here
The schools not getting aid or reduced aid have thousands of money in surplus, why should they get more tax payer money while they have surplus???

It's up to NJ Transit on fares & service once they are no longer subsidized...I don't get your thoughts here..why should people who never set foot on NJ transit subsidize it through a gas tax???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,255,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Good I cant wait for all of those big timers to leave and open up some jobs on wall street for the young kids. Maybe all the pharm reps will get out too. Lots of job are coming. I love how you say a few super wealthy people are leaving? They dont even work, do you realize that. You act as if we have some shortage of white collar workers. Yup tought to find Dr and Lawyers in NJ. They must all be leaving.
It's hardly just the super wealthy any more. Middle class tax payers are tired of being milked by the unions. The guy making 80k and paying 12k property taxes is getting squeezed pretty badly.

On the balance, the producers are leaving. There is not a shortage today, but there is a trend and that trend is causing revenue problems for the state (no one left to confiscate goods from!)

Doctors ? If they have no-one to provide services to than government workers, and therefore no source of income besides tax dollars, then you still ultimately have government workers providing services to each other.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,746,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Don't recall him saying that..said he would not raise taxes but not holding my breath here
The schools not getting aid or reduced aid have thousands of money in surplus, why should they get more tax payer money while they have surplus???

It's up to NJ Transit on fares & service once they are no longer subsidized...I don't get your thoughts here..why should people who never set foot on NJ transit subsidize it through a gas tax???
Becuz if we don't it will have a state ripple affect, ppl will lose jobs if they can't afford the high fares , thus crime might start going up. Cities and towns that relay on ppl coming by train or bus to shop , won't get them. We have the third Largest Transit Network in North America, and it wouldn't hurt if ppl who didn't use it would pay a little for it.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfrost View Post
You can't just give up a good job, and just pick up and find another one in another state. It's irresponsible to one's family. In case you haven't been watching the news, jobs are a little hard to come by these days. Admit it, NJ taxes are ridiculously out of control. I pay 12K taxes a year, for a "normal middle class" home, plus I have to pay for PRIVATE garbage pickup and water/sewage. If you live here and have a job in hand, you have to stay put. How's that "changey, hopey thingy workin' out for ya lately?"
Face it, NJ su*ks and we just have to bear it. Don't try to sugar coat it.
I didn't say "just give up a good job" or "just pick up and find another one in another state" as if it can be done overnight. But it CAN be done, and it doesn't have to take 10-20 years. It can be done within weeks if someone is lucky, within months if someone just works hard at it (if it's that important) and within a couple of years even with a bad job market and bad luck.

But no, people just sit there and whine. Why? If there are jobs in these other great utopia's that don't s*ck, then what's the problem? What's holding anyone back??

If you live here and have a job in hand you DO NOT have to stay put, unless you're spineless and weak and just playing victim. I know a family who moved to North Carolina last November. The husband looked for work there since Jan/Feb of 09, finally found something that was in his field, took a couple cuts in pay, moved there in August to start his job, rented a bedroom in somone's home, had his wife come down to NC every weekend to househunt with him, and when they finally bought a place (cheap) they moved. It can't be done? You can't give up a job and find another one?

If these other places are that good then jobs should be available. Yes, you'll get a pay cut, but you can get a job. Most people lamenting how much NJ "s*cks" claim the job market is even better in these other utopias. So what's the problem? Apparently finding those jobs isn't so easy because they DON'T EXIST. What DOES exist are a handful of jobs that pay much less for the same work. Rather than admit that they don't want to give up their salaries, the whiners in NJ instead play poor, poor victim and blame anything and everything, from "Corslime" to taxes to people's "rudeness" to the weather to teachers to police. Everything is causing them hardship. They are victims of everything with no choices in their own lives, they are prisoners with no control over their lives.

Well, when one CHOOSES to be a prisoner, he or she IS one, but it's his or her own fault. Last I checked, there were no laws preventing people from relocating.

If people want to live their lives blown around in the wind of circumstances and never try to change then they deserve the misery they give themselves. Just stop crying "victim" and blaming NJ, taxes, and every little thing down to the weather.

And what's "hopey changey thing for ya???" Are you a Midwestern housewife??? What does that even mean??

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 02-12-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Becuz if we don't it will have a state ripple affect, ppl will lose jobs if they can't afford the high fares , thus crime might start going up. Cities and towns that relay on ppl coming by train or bus to shop , won't get them. We have the third Largest Transit Network in North America, and it wouldn't hurt if ppl who didn't use it would pay a little for it.
You can't be serious on that statement.....the fares will go up but I highly doubt it will bankrupt anyone. I don't think there are too many towns in NJ relying on people coming by train or bus most shopping malls you need a car to get to.

I have a car..I pay for registration & insurance every year. I pay tolls on toll roads..if they want to raise the gas tax to keep the roads up, all though I may not like it I'll have to pay it and rightly so because I use the roads, but I'll be a bit annoyed if they raise it to subsidize NJ Transit. I don't even have a transit near me that would take me to work..I have to have a car...at least you have it

Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM

24 posts, read 40,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I didn't say "just give up a good job" or "just pick up and find another one in another state" as if it can be done overnight. But it CAN be done, and it doesn't have to take 10-20 years. It can be done within weeks if someone is lucky, within months if someone just works hard at it (if it's that important) and within a couple of years even with a bad job market and bad luck.

But no, people just sit there and whine. Why? If there are jobs in these other great utopia's that don't s*ck, then what's the problem? What's holding anyone back??

If you live here and have a job in hand you DO NOT have to stay put, unless you're spineless and weak and just playing victim. I know a family who moved to North Carolina last November. The husband looked for work there since Jan/Feb of 09, finally found something that was in his field, took a couple cuts in pay, moved there in August to start his job, rented a bedroom in somone's home, had his wife come down to NC every weekend to househunt with him, and when they finally bought a place (cheap) they moved. It can't be done? You can't give up a job??

If people want to live their lives blown around in the wind of circumstances and never try to change then they deserve the misery they give themselves. Just stop crying "victim" and blaming NJ, taxes, and every little thing down to the weather.

And what's "hopey changey thing for ya???" Are you a Midwestern housewife??? What does that even mean??
You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Why would anyone with an $80K job, quit that job to save $5K in taxes and take an unknown job (if and when you find one)for say, $50K. We aren't whining, we are stating fact, and we aren't going to leave just because the real estate taxes suck and you tell us to leave. But we shouldn't just sit back and take it like sheep. Just about everyone here agrees that the taxes are too high, to the point of being criminal. The question is, what can we do about it? Any ideas? You seem to enjoy paying the taxes. Maybe some "tea party" action might be in order. What do you suggest? Other than telling people to leave?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM

18,409 posts, read 15,108,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
A bunch of complainers is all we have here. The grass is always greener yet nobody gets up and leaves. I can assure you this, Jesus P Christ could take over office in NJ and taxes and fees will ALWAYS be higher. Let me guess you want to make 160k and then have New homes for 200k like they do in Texas? Let me guess you want to make 140k and then pay 3k in taxes? It not only cant happen it never ever ever will. Keep dreaming and then come back and tell me I was right. I do agree spending is out of wack and we need cuts for sure. If you think getting a job in NJ is tough try going to another state and doing that. If you like making 140k dont count on that in another state try 30% or less. The reason everyone doesnt just get up and leave is they cant because let me say this clearly THEY CANT FIND WORK!! The same job that pays them well in NJ doesnt exist in other states. Simple as that! Can you do well in other states, sure you cant but the chances are not as great because so few jobs exist. All of these crybabies would get up and leave in a NY minute if they were promised everything. The would leave family behind so fast they wouldnt know who they were in two weeks but they cant. So they sit and make a pretty penny in an area of the country that pays well but dont want to pay their share. Everything is proportions, if you have any brains at all you would see that. Why is it that all the old timers move to the south when they retire????? Whom lets see because they dont need that NJ Job any longer up here and they want to get away with paying less taxes and fees in the south. If they had to take a job or find a job do you think they would move? Get with it. Keep crying about your big tax bills last I checked you can move to cheaper areas of NJ but then again those would be slums for some of you. So eat it and pay your high taxes, like it while you are at it.
I'm only speaking for myself here, but I would be paid MORE in TX than I am here in NJ. Same for most of the south. NJ is not great for doctors compared to much of the country where there are shortages. I would actually be paid less in Manhattan than I am in NJ though. Leaving is not as easy as you make it out to be. I dont want to take my children away from their grandparents, their friends, their cousins. And not only that, when you consider a place to be your home, it's not so easy to just up and leave. But here is my question for you, if you watch your home state go downhill over the course of your lifetime, dont you have the right to fight for it with your voice and your vote? Or are you really just advocating we turn tail and leave?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,686,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You can't be serious on that statement.....the fares will go up but I highly doubt it will bankrupt anyone. I don't think there are too many towns in NJ relying on people coming by train or bus most shopping malls you need a car to get to.

I have a car..I pay for registration & insurance every year. I pay tolls on toll roads..if they want to raise the gas tax to keep the roads up, all though I may not like it I'll have to pay it and rightly so because I use the roads, but I'll be a bit annoyed if they raise it to subsidize NJ Transit. I don't even have a transit near me that would take me to work..I have to have a car...at least you have it
NJ Transit offsets more wear and tear on the roads and reduces traffic as well. So it actually helps you (in terms of traffic). It is a win win.

And when did taxes equate to ONLY THINGS YOU USE?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
NJ Transit offsets more wear and tear on the roads and reduces traffic as well. So it actually helps you (in terms of traffic). It is a win win.

And when did taxes equate to ONLY THINGS YOU USE?
Well come on out to I80 some day, except for train/bus into NYC we have NO mass transit so it's no win win out here. The only people who benefit are urban dwellers....I wish we had it..the train fare would more then likely be less then the gas, registration & insurance I pay every year....
As for bolded....because I am weary of subsidizing ...NJ Transit is a business and should be run as such...

Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,060,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
...Middle class tax payers are tired of being milked by the unions. ...

I couldn't agree more. Maybe Christie will help to ignite a long-needed national backlash against absurd union pension and healthcare plans, not to mention the other ridiculous rules and benefits that union-opolies force onto local, state and Federal governments and other entities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey